PDA

View Full Version : Hornady powder measure

abunaitoo
08-27-2014, 10:51 PM
Anyone use this powder measure????
http://www.hornady.com/store/images/T/050130.jpg
How is it?????
A friend gave me one. Unused.
I have a few Lee disc, Old Midway that looks like a Redding, old Pacific that works like a B&M, and a few others.

dromia
08-28-2014, 04:01 AM
Works just fine, like all such measures its accuracy depends upon the consistency of operation and the type of powder used.

I have one on my LnL AP and it is very consistent on that, I think the mechanical linkage smooths out the operator variations for a more consistent throw.

Try and out yours and see what you think

pworley1
08-28-2014, 09:11 AM
The one I have works great. For most loads, I like it better than a Lyman.

dilly
08-28-2014, 11:34 AM
I have one and like it well.

cheese1566
08-28-2014, 12:19 PM
Works great!
I have used one for over 20 years and have owned numerous ones. I now have a newer LNL version that uses interchangeable inserts.

I rather prefer the old as they use a micrometer for adjustment. Now Hornady calls them "Benchrest", but they are really the old versions before LNL.

Never had an issue and they are pretty accurate with ball powders.

Did he give you both inserts? I know my old version only used on rotor, and either the pistol r rifle insert could be used in it.

Bonz
08-28-2014, 12:32 PM
I use one on my Hornady LNL press and love it so much that I bought another for a bench mount

noylj
08-28-2014, 01:39 PM
It is the most consistent measure I own.
Be sure to have correct rotor installed for charge weight to be thrown.

lancem
08-28-2014, 01:48 PM
I have two, I like being able to change the inserts, I'm thinking they are about $10 a pop. I load a bunch of different calibers but have my favorite loads for each. I have an insert for each load and write on it with a sharpie the powder and load and just keep the insert in the die box. When I go to load I stick in the proper insert, load the powder, run a half dozen loads through it to settle the powder, check the weight to verify and go. No more messing around getting it set up. That and then when you want to empty it stick in the drain insert and easy as can be the measure is emptied with no messing around. They have a micrometer insert also which I find great when developing loads and want to have an accurate guide when adjusting.

MarkP
08-28-2014, 04:39 PM
I have had one since the late 1980's. If you are consistent with your technique it will drop powder pretty much spot on; I stopped weighing individual charges many years ago. I would purposely set my measure a little light and trickle the remaining amount on each charge for match shooting. I found if you were consitent in your motions there was little variation. I try to mimic the powder rappers on Waterbury Ferrell loaders, I do a full upward swing to bottom out on the casting and two slight raps when rotating downward.

Mount it on a bench, just make certain the riser mount has about a 4inch throat or at least the width of your loading block. When using a loading block you can charge cartridges really fast then perform a quick spot check of powder levels.

IMR-4198 can be a little jerky due to the long thin cylinders, it cuts as the rotor drum is rotated downward to dispense the powder charge.

TIP: After adjusting, drop a few charges before weighing, or when adding powder drop a few charges and recheck charge weight.

abunaitoo
08-28-2014, 05:12 PM
Looks just like the one in the picture.
No idea how old it is, but it was stored in a box and looks brand new.
This one has two adjustable gauges. One for pistol and one for rifle.
It's like the Midway I have, except smaller.
Also in the box was a set of Hornady .38sp dies, Honady/Pacific scale, and a Lee ram prime. All same condition as the powder measure.
Looks like the owner thought about reloading, but never got around to it.
I'm happy, happy, happy.

MarkP
08-28-2014, 09:16 PM
Does it have smooth glossy red paint, a matted wrinkle type paint, or a rough paint on it? The paint type would tell the age also if the box is white with a colored sticker or white box with red print.

Le Loup Solitaire
08-28-2014, 09:30 PM
Works just as well as my RCBS. The "built in knocker" feature is helpful in maintaining consistency if you knock/bump the throw at either end. Mine came with an aluminum drop tube that never got/gets dirty. Its a well built, good quality measure. LLS

Ithaca Gunner
08-28-2014, 09:38 PM
I like it better than any other tumbler type measure out there.

300winmag
08-28-2014, 10:40 PM
I have 3 and changed them all to the micrometer, ball powder and flake works well, extruded can be a little choppy at times, many years no complaints.

Good luck and enjoy.

stu1ritter
08-29-2014, 06:06 AM
Just follow Hornady's admonition about not leaving powder in the hopper when you are done loading. Some powders will attack the plastic in the hopper. I have two and empty them all the time after having them replaced by Hornady under warranty.
Stu

abunaitoo
08-29-2014, 03:21 PM
It has a smooth glossy red finish.
Same with the scale.
I've been using the same Pacific/Hornady scale since the 80's. Bought it new.
I got my Pacific/Hornady because it was the heaviest one I could find.
Has never given me any problems.
I always remove all powder after reloading. Don't like the idea of open powder around.

UNIQUEDOT
08-29-2014, 04:59 PM
Could some of you folks that use this measure tell me whether the casting is aluminum or iron? I'm told it's aluminum... a magnet would tell in an instant.

Bonz
08-29-2014, 06:37 PM
Just follow Hornady's admonition about not leaving powder in the hopper when you are done loading. Some powders will attack the plastic in the hopper. I have two and empty them all the time after having them replaced by Hornady under warranty.
Stu

I upgraded mine to heavy wall Pyrex glass, no more problems ;-)

Bonz
08-29-2014, 07:13 PM
Could some of you folks that use this measure tell me whether the casting is aluminum or iron? I'm told it's aluminum... a magnet would tell in an instant.

Mine are less than 2 years old and a magnet sticks to both of them

UNIQUEDOT
08-29-2014, 08:46 PM
Mine are less than 2 years old and a magnet sticks to both of them

Well then I suppose they are a bit heavy for use on a LCT press...oh well I'll stick to the auto disk on it.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-01-2014, 12:09 AM
Well then I suppose they are a bit heavy for use on a LCT press...oh well I'll stick to the auto disk on it.

They are, but the RCBS Uniflow is just about the right weight. If you add the Hornady Case Activated powder drop and a micrometer, you'll have a fine measure for rifle powders atop your LCT press. I know this because I tried it myself a few years back. Worked great.

UNIQUEDOT
09-03-2014, 10:07 AM
They are, but the RCBS Uniflow is just about the right weight.

Well the uniflow is no longer an option as I just traded two uniflows for a pair of Lyman 55's! my original intent was to reduce clutter by getting a single 55 and get two measures off the bench, but I liked the little 55 so much I just had to have another dedicated to blackpowder.

abunaitoo
09-04-2014, 02:19 PM
I was thinking of making it into a automatic powder drop by adding the case activated kit.
Kit cost almost $100 alone.
So much for that idea.

Bonz
09-04-2014, 02:27 PM
I actually bought a third one, and the kit to be 'case activated' which is awesome. But now that I have replaced the original powder tube with heavy wall Pyrex glass, its very kool to just be able to leave powder in it and its very easy to clean when changing powders. LOL, always good to have a new spare ...

So now, I have the case activated one with the Pistol Rotor and Pyrex powder tube on my press and the other powder measure has the rifle rotor and bench mount for +20 grain loads. I need to upgrade the powder tube on the Bench mounted measure to Pyrex also, can't even see the powder anymore, have to remove the cap

lancem
09-04-2014, 05:27 PM
I actually bought a third one, and the kit to be 'case activated' which is awesome. But now that I have replaced the original powder tube with heavy wall Pyrex glass, its very kool to just be able to leave powder in it and its very easy to clean when changing powders. LOL, always good to have a new spare ...

So now, I have the case activated one with the Pistol Rotor and Pyrex powder tube on my press and the other powder measure has the rifle rotor and bench mount for +20 grain loads. I need to upgrade the powder tube on the Bench mounted measure to Pyrex also, can't even see the powder anymore, have to remove the cap

Bonz, Where did you source the Pyrex tube from?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Well the uniflow is no longer an option as I just traded two uniflows for a pair of Lyman 55's! my original intent was to reduce clutter by getting a single 55 and get two measures off the bench, but I liked the little 55 so much I just had to have another dedicated to blackpowder.

There's lots of Uniflows around. All you have to do is keep watching the Swap & Sell.:)

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-04-2014, 09:03 PM
I was thinking of making it into a automatic powder drop by adding the case activated kit.
Kit cost almost $100 alone.
So much for that idea.

Was that the RCBS or Hornady version? Generally speaking, the Hornady is a good bit less expensive, but works just as well.

abunaitoo
09-05-2014, 05:06 PM
Was that the RCBS or Hornady version? Generally speaking, the Hornady is a good bit less expensive, but works just as well.

I was looking at the hornady one.
I'll just use it as is.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-05-2014, 10:03 PM
I was looking at the hornady one.
I'll just use it as is.

Maybe you can pick one up used. They've been on the market a long time now. They weren't nearly that expensive a few years back. Course with the triple digit obuma stagflation, the price you mention makes sense.

country gent
09-05-2014, 10:08 PM
Alot of the rotary drum type measures with straight hoppers do benifit some from adding a baffle in the hopper. The baffle can easily be cut from a cleaned plastic pop bottle. On some with stick powders it makes a big diffrence.

Moonman
10-04-2014, 10:05 AM
I even put one on a Dillon.

NOTE!!!!

Line the inside of the tube with a CLEAR PLASTIC SHEET PROTECTOR

cut to fit with an overlap. The Powder never touches the tube for the powder

to have a reaction with the tube and discolor it.

Available at Wal-Mart stationary dept.

I have all my measures lined and leave powder in them,

I also cover them with an old sock to keep light out.

Davidk
10-05-2014, 05:49 AM
Anyone use this powder measure????
http://www.hornady.com/store/images/T/050130.jpg
How is it?????
A friend gave me one. Unused.
I have a few Lee disc, Old Midway that looks like a Redding, old Pacific that works like a B&M, and a few others.

I had one, but switched to the RCBS model as the Hornady was rusting too much.