PDA

View Full Version : LA round in a SA rifle

shawnba67
08-27-2014, 09:05 PM
I was thinking of a single shot rifle, then got to thinking I read somewhere you could rebarel a SA rifle to la and just single load it. The kicker being having to pull the bolt to unload a live round But with the myriad of rem 700 barrels on gunbroker for $50( way cheaper than a hr) Is this thinking correct, could my 243 be a pita 30-06 ? I realize it will only be cheap if it head spaces correctly , which do to modern manufacturing I think it would be likely.

koehlerrk
08-28-2014, 09:23 PM
OK, first off, what's wrong with a 243? It's a good round, and with the correct bullets is good for anything from chucks to deer. So unless you're going after bear, elk, or something else big, going to a 30-06 isn't really needed.

That said, next up is the technical issue of headspacing. The Rem 700 isn't like a Savage where you set the headspace with a nut... your odds of having proper headspace with a random barrel is going to be a crapshoot, most likely you would need to take it to a smith to get headspaced, and I doubt any good smith will set a LA barrel on a short action.

If you really need a 30 caliber, get a 308, but you'll still need to have it headspaced properly to ensure that it will be safe to fire.

For the cost of a barrel and headspacing, you could just get a H&R single shot. JMHO, YMMV.

country gent
08-28-2014, 10:02 PM
That used to be common on 1000 yd rifles for high power. Sleeve a remington 700 short action and chamber for 300 win mag, 6.5 284, 7 mag or many others. Worked some what okay but was a real pain when a cease fire was called unexpectedly. ( Can happen at Perry with the whim of any fisherman around the impact area out on the lake ). with the sleeve a scew type bolt stop was incorporated meaninf turn it out open bolt and pull everything out the back. It was a real PITA. Magazines wouldnt work either. There is a guy making barrels threaded savage style with the nut for 700 remingtons now. I think I would have the recoil lug pined using one. A bernard, kelby or other single shot bolt action is much more appropriate in this instance.

40-82 hiker
08-28-2014, 10:09 PM
JMHO: Keep the .243 Win. as koehlerrk suggests. I also agree with koehlerrk about the headspacing (only a gunsmith, unless you know what your are doing!) I very much like the .243, though the one I have is is a Rem. 700 I shortened and pillar post bedded about 17 years ago for our son to use when he was 14. It can handle a varied weight of boolits, and seems to be an inherently accurate cartridge. Unfortunately, he does not shoot guns now after coming out of the Army as a medic.

The 30-06 is a great cartridge, but as far as putting holes in paper, even if the target is charging the .243 is equal to the job. I also agree with chucks to deer.

I like the idea of the H&R suggestion, or start looking for an older single shot action to use for a project gun. I actually like loading singly, no matter the action when I am target shooting. It slows down the rate of fire, keeps the barrel cooler, and saves on primers, powder, lead, tin, my shoulder, my back, etc. :bigsmyl2:

Geez, I guess I could have saved space and time with a +1.

akajun
08-28-2014, 11:14 PM
There is really nothing a 06 can do that a 308 can't . If you need to go with more velocity in a short action, go short mag or wildcat round.

shawnba67
08-31-2014, 12:04 PM
I have an elk hunt coming up, and very limited $$$. I have don enough internet research to know its a FACT that a 243 will bounce off of an elk look it up. The 30-06 was mostly just for example since we all no it's standard length same bolt face ect. The crapshoot of headspaceing man I have to believe big green is doing everything in modern. Manufacturing to make as many rifles as they can screw together and be good to go. But yes it's a risk. But for a $50 barrel I can screw in myself it I feel beats a HR and saves me $200 to boot. Thanks for the advice fellas. I did not intend to sound snide just then It typed out wrong. I kindof hate to buy a rifle to use once and if I borrow one it insures something will happen to it and I'll have to buy the dern thing anyway. Plus I like to consider the obscure Thanks much

Larry Gibson
08-31-2014, 12:40 PM
A .243 "bouncing off" an elk? A "FACT"?

Larry Gibson

StratsMan
08-31-2014, 01:11 PM
I have don enough internet research to know its a FACT that a 243 will bounce off of an elk look it up.

Shawnba67... just a cursory search showed me that there are more posts from successful elk hunts with 243 than there are complaints about bullets "bouncing off". Remember it's all about shot placement, not caliber. If you're not confident your shot will kill then you probably shouldn't pull the trigger.

roysha
08-31-2014, 03:40 PM
Generally speaking a REM 700 barrel from one 700 will headspace correctly on another 700. The problem is that the odds of the sights indexing properly are about 359-1 against that happening. I have done this several times over the years (mostly converting 243-308 and such to 22-250 varmint weight barrels which, fortunately, don't have sights) and every time the headspace was correct but I never had the sights even remotely line up. I did a couple of 17s to 223, and 1-222 to 222MAG, filled the holes, polished, blued and scoped the rifle.

RoyEllis
08-31-2014, 04:19 PM
I have an elk hunt coming up, and very limited $$$. I have don enough internet research to know its a FACT that a 243 will bounce off of an elk look it up...........

That has to be in the top 10 most redonkulous posts of 2014......jmho

shawnba67
08-31-2014, 04:25 PM
For every one killed with a 243 they're are 1000 people to recommend against. It. Now I've never shot an elk, and I do believe that under the right circumstances 243 will kill anything walking. But if for. $50 I could start off with a bigger bullet seems like money well spent. I do believe I read that the short action will eject an empty shell so then throwing another in wouldn't add minutes to a follow up shot if needed. The bounce off reference was for dramatization So it will likely headspace just probly be gangsta on the sights. Scope won't notice that.

starmac
08-31-2014, 11:55 PM
Wouldn't 358 be a better choice?? Or is it that you have a line on a cheap 06 barrel already.

If for some reason a 243 was all I could muster up, I would use it, but I started out with 30 cal years ago and only went up from there, so have no experience with 243. I have known a lot of elk hunters, and only knew a couple that used 270, never knew anyone that went with a 243. I have heard many times over the years, that the 6.5 x 55 is the preferred cal for them in places.

M-Tecs
09-01-2014, 12:20 AM
Barnes Bullets - Triple Shock X in the 243 will work for any reasonable shot. Watched a young girl shoot a large bull buffalo with one. Worked very well. Two steps and it went down.

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,145200.0.html?PHPSESSID=9311935e63d47f4f3bea 16666d45f154

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295989

http://www.biggamehunt.net/forum/killing-elk-243-0

http://www.thediyhunter.com/big-game-hunting-mule-deer-elk-whitetail-deer/44-recovered-barnes-triple-shock-bullets-tsx-ttsx-243-wssm-270-wsm-rifles

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=424963

40-82 hiker
09-01-2014, 01:30 AM
For every one killed with a 243 they're are 1000 people to recommend against. It. Now I've never shot an elk, and I do believe that under the right circumstances 243 will kill anything walking. But if for. $50 I could start off with a bigger bullet seems like money well spent. I do believe I read that the short action will eject an empty shell so then throwing another in wouldn't add minutes to a follow up shot if needed. The bounce off reference was for dramatization So it will likely headspace just probly be gangsta on the sights. Scope won't notice that.

Sounds like your mind is made up, but heck if I wouldn't work up a good load with a Barnes or Nosler made for penetration for the .243, as others have suggested. Boolit placement and distance... People DO kill elk with .243 Wins. This late in the game you might be opening up yourself for more problems than can be made right with your barrel swap in the short time you have to deal with. Gunsmiths are pretty hammered with work just now. JMHO.

Any Cal.
09-01-2014, 02:10 AM
I would give it a shot. Never had the least desire to use a .243 on elk, and even if the rifle headspaced poorly it would likely be close enough for your needs. If it doesn't work you won't be out much if you sell the barrel.

As far as being a psuedo single shot, so is an H&R... Have fun and be glad you have the opportunity, health, and means to get out and hunt!

ol skool
09-01-2014, 02:30 AM
Maybe a 338Fed or 358Win would make more sense for your 243, next year? Both are orphans, uh, obscure. Check this site for good daydreaming ideas:

http://www.35caliber.com/

This year borrow something that makes you feel more confident or load up something heavy for the 243 and practice with it. Nolser make a 100gr Partition. Or put a 308 barrel on it for now...

Just a thought...

dk17hmr
09-01-2014, 05:03 AM
...........and I doubt any good smith will set a LA barrel on a short action........

Remington sent a lot of 40x rifles out of their doors in 300 win mag and a lot of people bought those rifles. There are also a lot of long range guys using short actions with long action cartridges because short actions are supposable stiffer. It will work your looking at a single shot proposition and you will most likely have to pull the bolt to eject a loaded round. Headspacing a take off barrel might be spot on or might be a mile off. You might look into a Remage barrel. Its a barrel with a nut set up like a Savage that works on a Remington action. Or maybe trade the rifle for something with a little more punch.

Love Life
09-01-2014, 10:18 AM
I have an elk hunt coming up, and very limited $$$. I have don enough internet research to know its a FACT that a 243 will bounce off of an elk look it up. The 30-06 was mostly just for example since we all no it's standard length same bolt face ect. The crapshoot of headspaceing man I have to believe big green is doing everything in modern. Manufacturing to make as many rifles as they can screw together and be good to go. But yes it's a risk. But for a $50 barrel I can screw in myself it I feel beats a HR and saves me $200 to boot. Thanks for the advice fellas. I did not intend to sound snide just then It typed out wrong. I kindof hate to buy a rifle to use once and if I borrow one it insures something will happen to it and I'll have to buy the dern thing anyway. Plus I like to consider the obscure Thanks much

You are 100% correct that the .243 Winchester will bounce off an elk. It is indisputable fact and anybody who says otherwise is not in the know.

You also stand a very high chance of a random barrel headspacing correctly on your random bolt.

I see much success in your future and please let us know how the 1st range trip goes.

Do you have headspace gauges?

starmac
09-01-2014, 01:15 PM
I have one of those cheap remingtons in 300 win mag I could sure be traded out of real easy. What ya got to trade. It has never been proven on elk, but worke on moose, bear and carryboo, so probably will not bounce of an elk.

MostlyLeverGuns
09-01-2014, 01:37 PM
So why not a .308, there are usually a few .308 Rem 700 barrels just as cheap. While I do know a few ranchers and guides that use a .243 on elk, I don't believe a single shot requiring bolt removal is the answer, in ANY caliber. A casual glance on Gunbroker showed a few .308 Rem 700 barrels. While I suppose a .243 might bounce off those '400 point shooter bulls' on the whisper channels, I have managed to kill a few elk with the .308. For elk a Barnes or the Nosler Partition will both avoid ricochets of that tough hide using a .243. Under elk hunting conditions (10 degrees and blowing snow, pulling a rifle bolt could be very 'inconvenient' for a second shot.

M-Tecs
09-01-2014, 01:47 PM
Under elk hunting conditions (10 degrees and blowing snow, pulling a rifle bolt could be very 'inconvenient' for a second shot.

You don't have to pull the bolt when the cartridge is fired. Case has enough clearance to extract normally. You only have to pull the bolt when you want to remove an unfired cartridge.

DeanWinchester
09-01-2014, 01:50 PM
If a .243 will bounce off what ever you're hunting, then I'd suggest you chamber your rifle in 30-378 Weatherby or maybe .338 Lapua. Or check local regulations and maybe just use a .50 Browning.

MostlyLeverGuns
09-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Back to actually hunting with a rifle that cannot be conveniently unloaded. To carry in a vehicle a rifle must have an empty chamber, to carry a rifle in a saddle scabbard, a rifle should have an empty chamber, having lunch, in camp, there are many, many times that a rifle should have an empty chamber. Most guides will not allow you to keep a cartridge chambered on horseback, in a truck, around camp or even when hunting. There is a serious safety issue with this concept.

shawnba67
09-01-2014, 03:00 PM
So is all caps and underlined not the correct text lingo for sarcasm??

M-Tecs
09-01-2014, 03:58 PM
M-tecs correct me if I am wrong seems depending on the throating one can slowly extract a full length 30-06 length cartidge unfired. Or at least that is what memory is stating. As for your statement that has been my experiance as well

The issue is the size of the ejection port on the short action when using rounds that are normally used in long actions like the 30-06. Since the bolt face holds the cartridge head the bullet catches on the front of the ejection port when unloading a loaded round. Not an issue when loading since bullet goes in first. Also on claw extractors its hard on extractor if you force the extractor over the rim since it too long to feed from the mag. OP has a Rem. so not an issue.

If it was mine I would use as is in 243 with good bullets or get a 308 barrel.

C. Latch
09-01-2014, 04:06 PM
If I was going on a public-land elk hunt where I had to mentally and physically prepare to take any shot offered at any legal bull, I would want a .300 Winchester Magnum or larger.

If I was going on a private land hunt on relatively unspooked critters, I'd be happy with a .243. I'm no elk hunter; I have been three times in my life and have fired exactly one round at an elk; he went down instantly from an '06 bullet, but he wouldn't have known the difference if it had been a .243, methinks. If you insist on rebarreling your .243, just go with a .308. I would MUCH rather have a quickly available second shot than to have the extra 50' of velocity a 30-06 will buy you over a .308.

YMMV.

edit: Yeah, OK, you can eject a fired '06 hull from a short action, but, still, the idea is just goofy. What if one of your handloads misfires?

DeanWinchester
09-01-2014, 04:10 PM
Yeah, OK, you can eject a fired '06 hull from a short action, but, still, the idea is just goofy. What if one of your handloads misfires?
.....in bear country?!?!?

MBTcustom
09-01-2014, 04:32 PM
There is really nothing a 06 can do that a 308 can't . If you need to go with more velocity in a short action, go short mag or wildcat round.

I have don enough internet research to know its a FACT that a 243 will bounce off of an elk look it up.

While I suppose a .243 might bounce off those '400 point shooter bulls' on the whisper channels

Fellers, you're making my head hurt.
[smilie=b:

M-Tecs
09-01-2014, 04:36 PM
I thought "purple" letters are used for sarcasm.

M-Tecs
09-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Fellers, you're making my head hurt.

I do know for a "FACT" that a 243 will bounce of this elk, but so will a 300 Win mag. http://www.bigdogsteel.com/fusiarelk.html

M-Tecs
09-01-2014, 05:30 PM
hmmm wondering would my 50 BAT bounce off??????

Velocity is the enemy to AR500. Most manufactures say at 2,800 to 3,000 you will start to see damage. Also steel core, armor piercing, and full metal jacket ammunition are not recommended for the longevity of the targets.

I have cut some for other people but I have only shot them a couple of times.

http://forum.snipershide.com/s4-sniper%92s-hide%AE-equipment/191584-what-thickness-ar500-my-range.html

starmac
09-01-2014, 05:55 PM
M-tecs, you just blowed my chance of trading off that 300 mag. lol

xpaholic
09-21-2014, 12:25 AM
several years ago, I did almost the same barrel swap as you are planning. at the time I had a 700 22-250 I really didn't have much use for and ran across a clean, no sites or holes, take off 35 whelen barrel. bought an action wrench and made a barrel vice, pulled the 250 barrel and screwed the whelen barrel on. I used a once fired, from a factory 35 whelen a friend had, case to check headspacing. headspacing was close but not enough, so instead of going to a smith I found a company who made different thickness recoil lugs, maybe someone here could help me with their name as I can't remember it, bought several different thickness lugs and screwed the barrel tight. the barrel lettering did not index correctly but it didn't take anything away from its accuracy. yes, i spent about what a smith would have charged me to do it, but I did it myself and learned something in the process and still had everything to heaspace several more rifles. a couple years later I got a good deal on a long action and installed the whelen on it and the 250 became a 243 for one of my sons. good luck xp

lar45
09-23-2014, 10:10 AM
I realize that I'm kind of late to the discussion, but...
I'm a big +1 for a 308 barrel. Just use 165 or 180gn bullets. In my opinion the 150 are a little on the light and fragile side for Elk.

Several years ago, my oldest son got a Rem 721 30-06 from his gradpa on his 12th B-day. Well Grandpa is a hot loader from way back... What worked in G-pa's rifle did not work so well in my sons. They had to hammer the bolt open with a 2x4, take the bolt out and use some channel locks to get the case unstuck from the bolt face. I'll try to cut out most of the middle story here.
We threw all of the old ammo and brass away and started off fresh with new brass and some 165 Corelokts. At around 2700fps his rifle started shooting 1/2 or less groups, so I stopped there. I figured that the lower velocity might also be easier on a 12yo. The ammo loaded for his 721 also shot sub 1" in my Mauser. Facotry 308 is loaded faster than our loads. So we loaded up a pile and went hunting. I shot somewhere around 12 Elk with that load and my son has shot about 10 with it. Most were 1 shot kills. They only reason that I'm not still loading them is I can't seem to find them anywhere. My son used some factory 150 Corelokts on an Elk one year and it had terrible penitration.

I guess that i kind of wrote a book here, but the 308 should work great for Elk, just use a heavy enough bullet.

so FWIW