PDA

View Full Version : Bismuth and lead free solder

toolz568
08-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Is anyone playing with bismuth or lead free solder. I have a large quantity of lead free solder I use to alloy, but wonders how it would cast. I keep seeing groups trying to ban lead boolits and wondered if it would be worth a try.

bangerjim
08-27-2014, 09:16 PM
I have an alloy of 54% Bi and 17% Sn with balance Pb and a touch of Sb that melts at 145F. Something like Wood's metal but no Cd!

I used it to harden soft. Bi seems to work nicely for that. I have not found anything on it anywhere. Most do not use Bi because it is $$. 1oz will take 1# of pure to >15Bhn!

Rarely do I use it for boolits anymore as I now have over 250# of Sn.

I use it to make repros of antique metal trim for clocks as I can melt and cast it in plastic!!!!! Or plaster of Paris molds. Very hard (22Bhn) and fills a mold beautiflully due to the Sn. Makes great molded items.

banger

62chevy
08-28-2014, 05:56 PM
http://www.lee-loader.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=430&hilit=bismuth

That site has a thread dedicated to using bismuth for bullets for the same reason you stated.

toolz568
08-28-2014, 08:55 PM
Ok, $20 a pound for bismuth, It's not much of a savings over jacketed. Of course I did make a batch of silver bullets as gifts and had to shoot at least one. Still an interesting idea and thanks for the info.