PDA

View Full Version : Eig navy price

TNRELOADER
08-27-2014, 01:07 PM
What is a fair price on a EIG NAVY XXIV date code. 36 caliber black powder revolver. Brass frame has scroll work in fair condition. I believe it was manufactured in 1968. Any advise appreciated.

Thank you

TNRELOADER
08-27-2014, 09:41 PM
If you can guys please help me out. I have never bought a black powder pistol and have a chance to pick this one up from a friend. Just don't want to overpay.

Rojelio
08-27-2014, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't give more than 100.00 for a used brass frame revolver. And that's only if it's clean and functions properly.

bubba.50
08-28-2014, 12:35 AM
you can get a brand new brass frame navy for 150 bucks at Cabelas. steel frame is only 50 bucks more & you'd have a much better gun.

Hellgate
08-28-2014, 01:05 AM
Check to see how much cylinder gap it has. More than .010" is too much. If the wedge is driven all the way in AND the gap is greater than .01" then pass on it. Be sure to pull back on the cylinder to measure the gap as the hand spring sometimes will push the cylinder forward and make you think the gun is tight. If you drive the wedge in fully and the cylinder is bound up against the barrel then the gun is still tight enough. I prefer a cylinder gap of .005-.008. Tighter is OK as long as the cylinder doesn't drag on the barrel when fouled from shooting. If you can make the barrel wobble the gun is shot loose. For brassers in good shape I have paid $75-$110. Steel frames will last indefinately. Do not exceed 20grs black powder in the brass Colt. Steel Colt, have at it 15-35grs.

bob208
08-28-2014, 09:17 PM
they sold new for $28.00 and were not a good buy then. look for a better gun. the cabelas suggeston is a good idea.

Reg
08-28-2014, 11:57 PM
Back in the day, the EIG was not considered "top of the line". The base pins were soft and combined with the brass frame, they stretched out quickly.
I think the Navy Arms were much more desired and If I am not mistaken, they were mostly steel framed.

bedbugbilly
08-29-2014, 08:44 PM
I can remember when these were selling for the $28 and they weren't really that good at that time. Nothing wrong with a brasser as long as you use moderate loads but I think I'd pass on it and get something newer that is a little bit better quality wise. I have owned and shot a lot of Navies over the years and while I had a couple of brasers, they were Navy Arms - circa 1960s and they were a little higher quality. If you are going to shoot it a lot and plan on keeping it - I'd personally opt for a steel frame. Used ones are out there if you start looking and I've picked 'em up that were in good shape for $100 - $125 - you just have to keep your eyes open and put feelers out. The Uberti steel frame, square back trigger guard '51 Navy that I'm shooting now I picked up for $150 and it was used but like new.