PDA

View Full Version : .62 Cal Flintlock Hunter

StolzerandSons
08-26-2014, 11:52 PM
For about 5 years now I've wanted to build this rifle, I've actually been working on it a little here and a little there for almost 3 years now. The Mechanic's Car, the Shoemaker's kids and the Gunsmith's gun all seem to be the same story, you get so busy building for customers you can never find the time to build anything for your self. So I slowly put an hour or two at a time in on this thing for nearly 3 years to finally get the Flintlock hunting rifle I have envisioned for a while now.

I know when people look at this they are going to say how it isn't historically or period correct but that is actually the point. I have owned several flintlock rifles and I think they are fine guns for rendezvous or re-enacting but they have never been my cup of tea when it comes to hunting. They are long barreled, full stocked, heavy and just not my taste in hunting rifles. The few Halfstock Flintlock rifles on the market didn't interest me either, CVA, TC, Lyman all make a half stock flintlock but they are all patterned after a variation of the plains rifle, they all have untapered barrels, they all have underribs or at the very least pipes and a ramrod hanging under the barrel and none of them comes in a caliber bigger than .58. And they are mostly pretty heavy.

I wanted a rifle that feels, weighs, handles and generally looks like one of my modern cartridge rifles but is still legal to hunt anywhere in the U.S. during muzzleloading season.

Down to the details:
.62 Caliber Colerain Barrel Slow twist for Patched Roundball. 32" long tapered.
R.E. Davis Lock
Pachmyer Decelerator Recoil Pad, I like steel buttplates but I plan to be shooting this for many years to come and I like recoil less and less these days.
The Trigger, Triggerguard and Grip Cap I made myself.
The stock is American Black Walnut with an ebony forearm cap.
The sights were just extras I had laying around from TOTW...single leaf rear and a silver blade front.
The stock is oil finished and waxed to give a nice matte(low sheen).
The metal is rust blued and also done to a matte finish.
I don't like my hunting rifle to give off a lot of reflection.
To keep the weight down I didn't add an underib or pipes and ramrod instead I made a multi-piece ramrod for my possibles bag.
Weight is 6 pounds 10 Ounces.

The Rifle:
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/cstolzer338/62%20Flintlock%20Hunter/IMG_0004.jpg
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/cstolzer338/62%20Flintlock%20Hunter/IMG_0005.jpg
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/cstolzer338/62%20Flintlock%20Hunter/IMG_0006.jpg
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/cstolzer338/62%20Flintlock%20Hunter/IMG_0007.jpg
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/cstolzer338/62%20Flintlock%20Hunter/IMG_0008.jpg

The Target:
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/cstolzer338/62%20Flintlock%20Hunter/IMG_0002.jpg
6" x 6" square the black circle is approx 2" diameter
100 yards, offhand, un-supported
120grs FFG Goex
4Fg pan
.600 diameter 97% lead - 3% Antimony (325ish grains, I haven't weighed one yet to see exactly)
.018" Pillowticking Veg Lube

The one flyer was totally my fault I had a very slight hang fire and I didn't hold through like I should have. I think with more load development I can probably tighten the group up a bit more but since Muzzleloader season starts here in about 3 weeks I may not have time to get back out and do the load work so for now I am satisfied enough to take it hunting white-tail.

Thanks for looking,

Colin

HARRYMPOPE
08-27-2014, 12:09 AM
if you can shoot 2 inch offhand at 100 yards with a flintlock your better shot than anybody I've ever seen.I like the gun.

StolzerandSons
08-27-2014, 12:57 AM
Thank you.

The black circle is 2" diameter the group not counting the flyer is actually over 3", with the flyer it's closer to 5". Certainly minute of White-tail but not all that exceptional. Now with my M98 270win I can actually shoot 2"ish groups off-hand at 100.

Colin

dondiego
08-27-2014, 09:19 AM
I like the rifle too. The first two pictures made it look like there was a massive ram rod underneath the barrel!

451whitworth
08-27-2014, 09:20 AM
Fine shooting there. I share your disinterest in plains style rifles even though I own a few T/C Renegades (which are great affordable hunting rifles). I really enjoy an English style sporting rifle as you built. The balance and proper stock dimentions of the English sporting rifle make plains rifles feel like clubs. The .62 is IMO the best all around round ball big game hunting caliber. I really like that you left off the under rib. The lines look so graceful that way. Good show!

Beerd
08-27-2014, 09:46 AM
round ball, 325 grains
powder, 120 gr ffg
rifle, 6 lbs 10

does, does it kick?

nice work and good shooting by the way.

waksupi
08-27-2014, 11:28 AM
Looks good, shoots good, what's not to like? Good job!

OverMax
08-27-2014, 01:12 PM
A bit curious. How is its Lock held in place? ~~~~~Really like the dark stain you chose for this rifle. Blends in well with the terrain just about anywhere someone cares to hunt. Well maybe not the North pole. But, it sure is a handsome Big Bore.

Whiterabbit
08-27-2014, 01:24 PM
Golly before I got my flintlock that is exactly what I wanted in a muzzleloader. That's the perfect modern musket, IMO. And you picked the right cal.

twotoescharlie
08-27-2014, 01:24 PM
I love the .62 cal. M/L. got one but mine is a underhammer with a long hammock barrel. haven't got to shoot it much due to failing eyesight and medical problems but looking foward to working up loads for it. Have fun!!!

TTC

StolzerandSons
08-27-2014, 01:27 PM
Thanks guys.

The lock is held in place by a single screw that is threaded into the tang/breechplug. If you look at the 3rd picture you can see the screw head between the hammer and pan skirt.

Colin

dondiego
08-27-2014, 03:45 PM
Since it is black walnut, you didn't even stain it did you?

rking22
08-27-2014, 07:01 PM
Execelent shooting! I like it, thinking somewhat along the same lines myself. I like flint ,I like light weight, I like big balls, and some grip curl too. And I see no reason to build a hunting rifle that is not comfortable to you. Good all arround, may steel your idea:) Was thinking underhammer but seeing your flint gun ...... a nice 20 bore smoth bore barrel to go with it,,,, Oh well very nice build!

Nobade
08-27-2014, 08:36 PM
Sure wish I could shoot that well!

Kind of funny, all the rifles you build for customers and the one you do for yourself that is so different. I know where you are coming from! Nice work.

-Nobade

StolzerandSons
08-28-2014, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the compliments guys.

Dondiego,
You are correct I didn't use any stain it is just an oil finish buffed down to take the gloss off of it and then a final coat of wax for better water protection.

Nobade,
My personal tastes in rifles tends to be a lot simpler and plainer than what I build for my customers.

Colin

doc1876
09-03-2014, 02:53 PM
I am one of the most vocal traditionalists out there and I love it, its great!

Whiterabbit
09-03-2014, 03:35 PM
you're just saying that because it is not an inline! :kidding:

Col4570
09-03-2014, 04:51 PM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/TwoWhitworthrifles001.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/livebattery/media/TwoWhitworthrifles001.jpg.html)
You have the right shape for your Rifle.Here is my original whitworth match Rifle (top) for comparison.apart from the Ignition they are similar.

451whitworth
09-03-2014, 09:21 PM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/TwoWhitworthrifles001.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/livebattery/media/TwoWhitworthrifles001.jpg.html)
You have the right shape for your Rifle.Here is my original whitworth match Rifle (top) for comparison.apart from the Ignition they are similar.
Dude, you're killing me.

rodwha
09-03-2014, 10:33 PM
A great build followed by great shooting!

shredder
09-04-2014, 09:04 AM
Very very nice. I bet those round balls land with tremendous authority. I wonder if you plan to ever show your rifle an elk at close range. The outcome would be certain within 100 yards.

I am quite smitten with your rifle. Like you I always thought flinters should be coming into the modern hunting age with a few tweaks from the old stock dimensions, weight and of course a butt pad that will not rearrange your clavicle! Very nice work you have done.

Whiterabbit
09-04-2014, 12:27 PM
By God, methinks with all the love here for this rifle, you need to build a half dozen and put them up for sale here. I know that if the timing and finances lined up, I would be in for one.

doc1876
09-04-2014, 04:09 PM
you're just saying that because it is not an inline! :kidding:

Yea, if it were an inline, I would not have even stopped on the page.

Southron
09-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Nice Rifle! Your rifle proves my theory that a gaudy patchbox, fancy inlays, tiger striped wood, etc., doesn't make a rifle shoot any better.

I figure tht there are going to be some deer in a lot of trouble when muzzle loading hunting season opens in your area!

dlbarr
09-05-2014, 10:52 PM
Nice rifle Colin! And right good shooting too!!

I'm currently working on a similar build myself. Hope it looks as good as yours and it would be GREAT if I could shoot it as well.

Very nice, congrats on a job well done.

StolzerandSons
09-06-2014, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the Compliments and comments guys.

By God, methinks with all the love here for this rifle, you need to build a half dozen and put them up for sale here. I know that if the timing and finances lined up, I would be in for one.
If I had the time to build a half dozen speculation rifles I probably would but as it is right now I am currently running a 2.5 year backlog of custom rifles. It's good to have the backlog, it keeps my business running even in a bad economy, but it doesn't leave much time for anything else.

Colin