PDA

View Full Version : Thermometer stem length

mjwcaster
08-26-2014, 10:58 PM
So I am getting ready to order a thermometer (Tru-Tel 200/1000) for casting and was wondering what stem length I should get.
5" or 8"

For now the 5" would be plenty, maybe even too long for my current melting pot.

I am planning on getting a Lee 4-20, how deep are they?

Would the 8" be better?

I am leaning towards the 5", just don't want to be kicking myself for not getting the longer one in the future and the price is the same.

Matt

txsnowman2k2
08-26-2014, 11:15 PM
Matt, I would opt for the longer. I assume you are going to make a stand of some sort for it so you can adjust for length. A simple coiled wire held from one of the pot screws would work just fine...tx.

OuchHot!
08-27-2014, 07:43 AM
My4-20 is 3 and 3/4" deep.I think my tc is an 8" as the total probe including the stiff, thicker, upper ferrule is about that. The actual thinner probe section is somewhat shorter. I used a little 'L' corner reinforcement cut off to size and screwed to the rim of the pot. It was easy to drill and tap. I did wrap a little insulation around the part that hangs out in the breeze.

Sensai
08-27-2014, 09:38 AM
The longer one will be a lot more handy if you use it in your "smelting" pot. Just for a casting pot, the short one is OK. I don't buy short ones because I use them for all sorts of pots. Best wishes