PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a Pneumatic Case Feed on The Lee Load Master

44Vaquero
08-26-2014, 10:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MjppGMY7XE

This in my initial test for fit and function. It went much better than I had expected, nothing broke and function was as intended (albeit a little more vigorous then expected).

I never really cared for the case feed mechanism on the Load Master even though It works and I have no problems getting it to function. I always felt it made operating the press feel heavier than need be.

Realistically, the pneumatics make the operation of the lever feel about 15% lighter.

Garyshome
08-26-2014, 10:37 PM
Looks good!

VHoward
08-26-2014, 11:47 PM
Interesting.

seagiant
08-27-2014, 02:17 AM
Hi 44,
Cool! That looks pretty slick! How is your confidence level on the priming system? Just wondering if that will raise it's ugly head when you start loading for real???

44Vaquero
08-27-2014, 08:29 AM
Seagiant, I still operate the original (1992) style priming system and have never experienced the issues reported by others!

A couple of things to always remember when running a LM:

1. The press needs to be secure to a solid bench.
You would think that's a given, it's not!

2. Keep the priming feed chute full at times (as soon as the tray is empty refill it!) The system is a gravity feed.
Why operators doggedly refuse to keep an eye on the priming tray I will never understand.

3. Always run the ram stroke stop to stop! No limp wrist, half *** pull/push.

4. (Perhaps the most important rule of all) IF IT DOES NOT FEEL RIGHT, STOP AND FIND OUT WHY? DO NOT PULL/PUSH HARDER. EVER!!

In terms of the current modification, the shuttle piston also provides 2 nice vibrations when it fires that rattle the feed chute. This should help to keep the primers flowing.

Hey, How about that! This is 1000th post!!

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-27-2014, 08:45 AM
44Vaquero,

That looks fantastic! Could you post some pictures of the pneumatic setup from various angles and a parts list? I'm very interested. That could be adapted to many presses it looks like.

HATCH
08-27-2014, 10:21 AM
I would install a flow regulator to slow down the cylinder.
Other then that it looks GREAT

44Vaquero
08-27-2014, 01:03 PM
Hatch, you are correct. The test was preformed using 60 psi of line pressure, I have since dialed it down to 20-25 psi with no loss in performance. You should see it run @ 100 psi! Silly fast! the cylinder is rated for 110 psi max. In this application it should last a very long time!

I have ordered a Line-in Flow Control to assist the full size regulator.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-27-2014, 02:13 PM
44Vaquero,

I got an email where you tried to send me a PM, but my inbox was full. Please resend. I've cleaned out my mess. Dang, didn't know there was so much old stuff in there. My apologies.

Dave

seagiant
08-27-2014, 02:23 PM
Seagiant, I still operate the original (1992) style priming system and have never experienced the issues reported by others!

A couple of things to always remember when running a LM:

1. The press needs to be secure to a solid bench.
You would think that's a given, it's not!

2. Keep the priming feed chute full at times (as soon as the tray is empty refill it!) The system is a gravity feed.
Why operators doggedly refuse to keep an eye on the priming tray I will never understand.

3. Always run the ram stroke stop to stop! No limp wrist, half *** pull/push.

4. (Perhaps the most important rule of all) IF IT DOES NOT FEEL RIGHT, STOP AND FIND OUT WHY? DO NOT PULL/PUSH HARDER. EVER!!

In terms of the current modification, the shuttle piston also provides 2 nice vibrations when it fires that rattle the feed chute. This should help to keep the primers flowing.

Hey, How about that! This is 1000th post!!

Hi 44,
Ha!,Yes, YOU have to supply the brains! Some people aren't really good with that!!! Thanks!

44Vaquero
08-27-2014, 03:52 PM
Dave, I am still getting the inbox full message when attempting to pm you?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-27-2014, 05:04 PM
Evidentally I had to delete all the outgoing messages. I notice my Patron badge is missing as well, even though I had an automatic thing setup with paypal. Reckon I'm going to have to straighten that out.

Anyways, I got the in and out box cleaned out. Please re-pm one more time. Thank you for your patience.

44Vaquero
08-28-2014, 03:08 PM
Close-ups of the case slide assembly.

jmorris
08-28-2014, 06:27 PM
I like it.

I have ordered a Line-in Flow Control to assist the full size regulator.

A vise grip clamped on the line would work until it arrives.

What valve did you use?

44Vaquero
08-28-2014, 07:58 PM
jmorris,

A generic 2 position 5 way with a roller lever. The supply line is 1/4 but the lines from the valve to the piston 5/32. It uses so little air to function that I did not even realize the compressor has been unplugged for the last couple of days!

Mike Kerr
08-29-2014, 06:14 PM
Looks great. Congratulations on the early problem solving for this new system.

44Vaquero
09-03-2014, 09:34 PM
Ok, Here is a clip showing the entire system up and running producing loaded ammo. The force required for actual operations is significantly reduced compared to the stock case slider set-up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13GSqIq-OyQ

waltherboy4040
09-03-2014, 10:11 PM
Is that a besales autococker ram without qevs?

44Vaquero
09-04-2014, 02:32 AM
Waltherboy4040,

No it is not, it is actually a mini-pneumatic industrial air cylinder in the smaller sizes they are manufactured in 1/2 inch increments. I originally stated that it was good to 108 psi, that was incorrect. The valve is good to 108 psi but these air cylinders are good to 250 psi!! Projected life span at 20 psi a very, very long time!

Longhill
09-04-2014, 10:59 AM
How about a parts list with where they can be purchased from?

44Vaquero
09-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Longhill, I am actually working right now on install instructions and finalizing the design of the brackets and plan on a 1st small batch to be ready for sale soon! Depending upon interest/demand?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-05-2014, 10:10 PM
44Vaquero,

Might I make a suggestion? Get with Inline Fabrication perhaps on an adaptation of this design for an RCBS Pro 200 Auto advance Progressive. RCBS does not offer a case feeder for that press and your design looks very easily adapted using stamped steel parts to the RCBS Pro 2000. And last I knew, the man at Inline owns an RCBS Pro 2000 he bought to design my roller handle for my press.:)

I, for one, would buy one and I know of others that would. The simplicity of the design looks like it would easily lend itself to inexpensive caliber conversions, assuming the press adaptation was well done. I really like it. Just add a generic case collator to the top of it with some strong tubing and you have a top of the line rig.

44Vaquero
09-08-2014, 04:17 PM
Dave do all the RCBS Pro-2000 use the APS priming system?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-08-2014, 08:21 PM
They are manufactured and sold with them, but can be converted to tube fed primers. But the one I have has the aps strip and those things are the cat's meow. You either buy strips pre-loaded or load a massive quantity while watching tv. When you start reloading, you don't have to stop to add primers, except to clip on another set of strips.

The strip feeder sits below the level of the case feed would sit and at a different angle as well, so I am reasonably sure your setup would fit.

Would you like some pics?

44Vaquero
09-09-2014, 05:38 AM
Pics of that entire area with the ram up and down would be a good start.

Moonie
09-09-2014, 10:33 AM
With a push through gate in front of the pusher it would probably handle rifle cases well, thinking 223 and larger. I'm interested in a system for my Loadmaster when you figure out pricing.

44Vaquero
09-09-2014, 03:25 PM
Moonie,

Not being an Engineer, I am uncertain of what a "push thru gate" is? Please clarify. The large case pusher will already handle .223 and 7.62x39. I have seen a mod for rifle calibers that attaches to the turret ring of the press and works well.

Moonie
09-17-2014, 08:45 AM
Moonie,

Not being an Engineer, I am uncertain of what a "push thru gate" is? Please clarify. The large case pusher will already handle .223 and 7.62x39. I have seen a mod for rifle calibers that attaches to the turret ring of the press and works well.

The problem with the case feed on 223 is that sometimes the cartridges jump out from under the one above causing issues. The gate I've seen prevents forward movement of the cartridge and opens when the slider starts to move forward. I'll try to find a link to show you what I mean.

flyingmonkey35
09-17-2014, 08:58 AM
Wow

Very nice

Sghinds
09-17-2014, 11:26 AM
Very nice work.