PDA

View Full Version : C96 Mauser

wonderwolf
01-29-2008, 01:08 PM
I picked up a C96 Mauser a while back it is originally in 30mauser. However the area just in front of the chamber is bulged and the rifling is missing from the rest of the barrel. I'm looking at lining the barrel into 9mm Luger. The OD of the thinest part of the barrel is .550" which is the muzzle. Liners are fairly easy and cheap to find but thats not the rub. A reamer for one would be rediculous and For the price of the reamer I can get a new Barrel and barrel extension. I'm looking for ideas on #1 how to line the barrel with a bulge in it & #2 WHERE I can get a chambered barrel to turn down for a liner.

I realize the existing barrel most likely will have to be shortenend up to gain some thickness in the walls.

broomhandle
02-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Hi Wonderwolf,

Redmans will rebore your 7.63 x25 to 9 mm, he has a website. He will also put a tube in it in the original 7.63. There is a place in Fl. called the Broom closet that is much cheaper, but some times installes the lined off center.

I had Redmans do two of my C-96's one in 7.63 & a rebore in 9 mm.Both shot to point of aim.

Best of luck. You can find them in the Shotgun news gunsmithing section.

Best, broomhandle

mroliver77
02-20-2008, 01:33 AM
If you are talking chamber reamer, they can be rented from the internet. Search for reamer rental. If you are talking about the hole to put liner in you can make up a drill bit to do this. Brownells has the components. Numrich( Gun Parts Corp) has some liners at a fair price. I would look for a cartridge with the appropriate rim to fit your bolt head- extractor.
J

wonderwolf
02-20-2008, 02:12 AM
If you are talking chamber reamer, they can be rented from the internet. Search for reamer rental. If you are talking about the hole to put liner in you can make up a drill bit to do this. Brownells has the components. Numrich( Gun Parts Corp) has some liners at a fair price. I would look for a cartridge with the appropriate rim to fit your bolt head- extractor.
J

Talking about both. Need the liner...then need to chamber the liner. Lathe makes easy work of these things. The 1896 mauser was made in .30 mauser and 9mm. I plan on a 9mm conversion. No modifications are needed to anything other than the barrel. :Fire:

broomhandle. I've contacted redmans a while back. I'm gonna pass on their deal. I feel I can get the results I would like with the tools I have at hand. Nonte also wrote in one of his books about chopping the barrel and threading it.