PDA

View Full Version : Can I lighten trigger pull on 870 Express?

Hogtamer
08-26-2014, 08:06 PM
I realize this is a gunsmithing question but thought I'd inquire of my shotgun buddies first...I've got acceptable accuracy with my Hubel sabot loads, to the point where something on the shooter end is probably the most improvement I can work on now. I haven't weighed the pull but it's somewhere in the neighborhood of a hard jerk - sometimes 2 jerks and a yank! Noticeably harder than my old Wingmaster. Without buying a high $ custom trigger assembly is there a little polishing i could do to lighten the pull a bit, or is this strictly a gunsmith job? Thanks.

Vinne
08-26-2014, 09:09 PM
Take it out and cut a coil off, replace it, and try your trigger.

But don't cut too much off the spring or you will have to order a replacement.

nicholst55
08-26-2014, 09:17 PM
Brownells carries aftermarket parts for the 870 trigger, but they're not cheap - an adjustable sear and spring kit by Timney, and a hammer by Accuracy Speaks.

country gent
08-26-2014, 09:18 PM
You also need to hold the correct angles and square on the parts being polished or stoned. Its not impossible to do but has to be done right. wrong angles grab making trigger worse or even worse is they slip causing accidental firings or slam fires

Hogtamer
08-27-2014, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the great input. I'll have time tomorrow to work on it and will report.

Hogtamer
08-27-2014, 09:14 PM
Man, that was too easy! Lightly abraided the hammer w/320 paper and snipped one round of spring off - it seems muuuch better. Thanks guys, i really am appreciative of this forum and all who offer their good experience in such a kindly manner. Guess i better shoot some groups now! may get the chance tomorrow...

cpileri
08-31-2014, 08:00 PM
hogtamer,
can you post a few pics on what you did and didnt do?
C-

Hogtamer
08-31-2014, 08:34 PM
Carl, It's obvious when you take out the trigger assembly. 2 pins and out it comes.All I did was polish the lip on the hammer (the forward moving piece that hits the firing pin) with very fine paper. I think the round off the spring was the fixer though. it comes off easily with a little compression, and both ends are flattened. With some very small wire cutters I have I snipped half a round below that flattened surface, then squeezed the half round left exposed down onto the next to create a new flattened surface. Very simple and effective. Thanks excess650!

Garyshome
09-07-2014, 10:41 PM
Good post! Thanks for the info.