PDA

View Full Version : Three phase power?

danski26
01-29-2008, 12:56 PM
I have a chance to buy a Bridgport mill at a good price. It is wired for 220 volt three phase. Any electricians out there know what I need to have done at my residence to run this equipment? What type of converter? About how much would it cost to have done?

wiljen
01-29-2008, 01:17 PM
most home boxes are 240 single phase.
You have two choices to use three phase equipment:

1.) Run a single phase 220 circuit off your existing service and buy a 220 Single Phase to 3 phase converter to place between the circuit and the equipment.
These can be bought for a one time fee and do not require a rewiring of your box, but you'd need additional converters as you bought more equipment or added new circuits.

2.) have the power company add a 2nd 3 phase service to your house. This means a monthly fee but doesn't cramp your existing breaker box like adding 220s can and doesn't stress your existing probably (200 Amp) service like running several high current devices at once can.

If I were only likely to run that one mill, I'd go with choice 1. You can run the 220 breaker yourself or have an electrician wire it for you pretty cheaply, and the converters are not monumentally expensive.
If I was gonna stock a machine shop and was thinking of having several lathes and mills running at the same time I'd go for option 2.

You might look here for converters http://www.americanrotary.com/

Red River Rick
01-29-2008, 02:04 PM
I agree with Wiljen. If your only going to run the mill, then an affordable electonic phase convertor would be your best choice. KBC tool's has them for around $300. Just make sure that if you do buy one, that it's capacity is large enough to handle your motor. Your better off buying one that is rated for a few HP more than whats actually required.

My lathe is 3-phase and hooked up to a convertor. I've been running it for about 5 years now and haven't had any problems. My CNC mill on the other hand, is wired for both, 220 V single and 3-phase. I have it hooked up to 220V single phase and it works fine without any problems.

RRR

SPRINGFIELDM141972
01-29-2008, 05:39 PM
If you are looking for a cheap altenative and have access to a another three phase motor then you could use it to create the power for your third leg. My father used to do this in his shop for his large machine drill press. Take a look at http://www.team.net/www/shop-talk/hm3phase.html It gives a good description of the process. I hope this helps.

Regards,
Everett

oneokie
01-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Unless you have clean power, I suggest a rotary converter. Less problems all around.

jwhite
01-29-2008, 10:06 PM
I would look at a variable frequency drive, get a single phase input unit sized for your mill and you will have speed control and 3-phase output. A good source for these drives is Automation Direct, good prices and great service/tech support.
Jerry

454PB
01-30-2008, 01:50 AM
if it's 5 HP or less, it would be cheaper and less hassle to change out the motor for a single phase 240 volt.

Gussy
01-30-2008, 12:36 PM
I run mine off of a small converter (it came with the mill). They are simple and cheap compared to the alternatives.

I built one for the lathe using a 3 phase motor (5 hp). It requires a lot of wiring. I use a small 3/4hp single phase motor to spin it up to speed and then turn the single phase off and the 3 phase continues to run changing the single phase to 3 phase. It was a pain in the ass to build and balance. That was the tricky part, BALANCE. As in each leg had to be close to the same output. I'm not an electrician and did a LOT of reading before I tried it. It took me better part of a week to get everything right. Buy one!!!!!!

Jon K
01-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Bridgeport J Head? at a good price? Don't hesitate buy it and don't look back, even if you have to change the motor & contoller.
If you pass on it, you'll be kicking yourself in the A$$ for years to come. They just don't show up for sale, unless you know th seller as a personal friend, and find out before it goes up for sale.

Jon

danski26
01-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Yeah....bridgeport J-head, at a good price. I'm telling myself I have to find the money somewhere.

Blackhawk Convertable
01-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Enco (http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=464&PARTPG=INLMK3&PMITEM=297-3530) has the Phase-A-Matic Static Phase Converters for what you need. You didn't state the HP of the motor but they list a medium duty 3-5 HP for $110 and heavy Duty for $150.