PDA

View Full Version : .38 Rim Fire

Hooker53
08-26-2014, 05:58 PM
A little help. What size case are we talking about on a .38 RF? Is there any other cases that can be trimmed to use in a. 38 RF? The one I'm looking at is a Rem mod # 2 roller. Don't think I would have any trouble changing it over to a CF but just wondering if any here have done it and what cases you are using for it? Thanks all!!

Roy

skeettx
08-26-2014, 06:13 PM
38 Long rimfire--- 38 Long COLT
Bullet .375 -------- .357
Neck .376 ----------.377
Base .376 ----------.378
Rim .435------------ .433
Case .873----------- 1.03

Trim and use a heeled bullet
Take a 38 Long Colt sized case and see how far it will go
into the chamber :)

To go the cheap route, trim a 38 Special case to .873 and give it a try.
You may have to take the rim down a bit but it depends on each rifle.

MORE FUN WOULD BE TO USE THESE

http://www.hc-collection.com/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=7669728
http://www.hc-collection.com/PBSCCatalog.asp?ActionID=67174912&PBCATID=335269&PBCATName=Rimfire

Hooker53
08-26-2014, 07:26 PM
Skeet. That's just what The doctor ordered. Thank you so much for that info. Have you ever used them in a #2 Roller? How do they hold up to smokeless? I'm real excited now after getting this info. I had already chalked it up to unfounded territory. Lol. I will computer sticky that site you posted here and thanks LOADS again.

Roy

skeettx
08-26-2014, 07:45 PM
Roy,

GOOD, Please report back on what you find out about cases fitting your particular gun.
Is it yours? a friends? a girlfriends? for sale? :)

I would stay with Black powder at first and then maybe, just maybe work up from ONE grain of Bullseye.

ONE grain might leave the bullet in the barrel at first, but SAFETY first.

Mike

Hooker53
08-26-2014, 07:56 PM
Mike it is for sell by another party. I'm working on the deal now. Just wanted to know all I could about it before I was holding it, wondering what I'v done. Lol. I will indeed report back with what happens. I have no problem what so ever with BP. My problem is getting it right now. I have not seen any without being a banker within 50 miles of my home. Thanks for the I fo.
Proxy

Hooker53
10-10-2014, 07:43 PM
UPDATE

As I live and breath I would never guess I would be today, holding the little .38 RF test kit in my hand today that Skeetex(mike) put me on. I ordered them Monday night from Luxemburg, Belg and they were on my doorstep today.

In reading the info on their website, almost any BP is good for the rifle cases. Surprisingly even ffffg powder. I would have thought that it would have been too fine. I don't have the Flobert 6mm blanks yet but I can make a primer with a .22 LF. The biggest thing they stressed on their site was to make sure I filled the case completely.

So thanks to several here and Mike, I will be able to shoot my Rem #2 .38 cal RF roller tomorrow for the first time.

skeettx
10-10-2014, 10:44 PM
AWESOME
Waiting for the report :)

Multigunner
10-11-2014, 02:20 AM
I wonder if the European 9mm rimfire blank cartridge could be reworked to make a .38 RF?
Haven't seen the blank cartridge only seen the 9mm blank revolvers advertised.

Hooker53
10-11-2014, 09:28 AM
Hey Multi. IV seen stranger things used around here. It could be used if the fit is good. Well. I was standing down there debating where to use a cut off .22 cal RF sheel or wait for the 6mm Floberts to arrive. I think i will wait on these seeings how these cases were made for them. I want to shoot it bad but no use in rushing things here. Ha. I have five test rounds and then I have to make a choice on a mould. I'm too unlucky for a used one to come up in the next few days anyway. Lol.

texassako
10-11-2014, 11:45 AM
If you end up really like shooting that #2, then you might consider getting a centerfire breech block from The Rifle Shoppe. It takes a bit of fitting but is worth it to be able to use and reload centerfire brass. Just remember where you kept the original.

skeettx
10-11-2014, 12:37 PM
http://therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pages/single_shot_parts/(839).htm

Hooker53
10-11-2014, 12:42 PM
I would love to find a center fire block for this rifle. I even did a WTB post for one and no answers. I will follow your lead on this and thanks texassako.

I tried a 22 call LR case that I cut down a few Mins ago and no fire. It's just barely nipping the rim. The cases I got from HL are very thin on the rim sooooo I made a SS wire ring to go around the case to push it out of the chamber .020 and still no joy. Lol. Maybe the Floberts I have ordered will be a little larger on the rim. I also will pull down the block and remove the firing pin and do a look see. When I closed the block on the case you can push the firing pin all the way level with the back of the block. But it's still just barely nipping rim where it has enough length or not. I think I would be happyer with this #2 setup as a. Center fire. I just did not want to rework the Original. I will keep working at it.

Just caught that link Mike. Thanks loads. I thought it would be much higher than that. He will have a call from me Monday. Ha. I love this site and forum.

w30wcf
10-15-2014, 06:35 AM
Hooker53,
I posted some information in response to your question on the .32 Rimfire thread. One of the references is one that you have already contacted.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?147224-reloadable-32-rimfire-brass/page23

Hope your testing goes well.

Hooker53
10-26-2014, 06:43 PM
Great Day

Made a new firing pin for my Remington #2 Roller today. Loaded up a cartridge with fffg and away she went. Ha. The old pin just was not getting there as the HL brass rim was just too thin. It's shooting very high so have to work on that but it's right over the X every time. might try some ffg and see what that does.

Now, I just have to find some .375 heeled Boolits ans maybe make some more cases. Don't think I'm gonna shoot it enough to buy a mould, but you just let me catch a used mould that will do a .375 heeled. Lol. Thanks for all the help on this one. Now maybe I can get back on my Martini project. Ha.
Roy

Hooker53
10-28-2014, 06:24 PM
Well. It keeps getting better. I tried some Jim S gold FFg this afternoon and not only did it bring my MOA down to the X but don't make near the mess Pyro does. Shoots almost like smokeless. Gotta get my hands on some J'S Gold fffg and try that. These little rollers are a hoot and to think how well they till shoot to be as old as they are. Skeettx, Old West moulds is the folks to deal with. They are setting me up with some test Boolits and after that, a new mould.

Roy

skeettx
10-28-2014, 06:55 PM
WONDERFUL!!
Keep on keeping on,
Well done
Thank you for the report
Mike

Hooker53
10-28-2014, 07:15 PM
Mike, I'm liking these old RF so well, I'm thinking about watching for a deal in a 32 RF. Maybe a 44. Lol.

Hooker53
12-28-2014, 10:06 AM
Well. I got the casted block in last week. Have my work cut out for me cleaning up and fitting this block to my gun. Won't take long. Have to make a barrel screw and an extractor washer. Gonna be nice to just trim back .38 Spl brass and use reg primers.

skeettx
12-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Awesome, the new breechblock should be a real help once fitted.
Please keep up these fine reports
Mike

Hooker53
12-28-2014, 07:20 PM
Mike. I'm excited. Looks like now, all I have to decide on now is how long I can make my brass. Ha. I can take .187 off the length and with a 125 grn Boolt, it will chamber. I just don't want the extra case capacity to raise the pressures to high. With .187 shorter on the .38 Spl, it's right much Longer then the offset Flobert type cases. I'm not gonna shoot nothing but BP in the Long ones anyway.

skeettx
12-28-2014, 08:38 PM
With lead bullets you will not raise the pressure very high, but you are correct to find the correct functional length.
I would make up a trim die and use an extended shell holder to whack off the 38 Specials using a fine jewelers hacksaw to a near trim to length.
You might even get away with using a 9mm trim die.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/559646/redding-trim-die-9mm-luger?cm_vc=subv559646
Mike

Hooker53
12-28-2014, 11:56 PM
Mike that's a good idea. So far I been trimming them in one of my lathes. I can determine the correct length then zero the indicator and trim to zero. Takes Longer to change them out and in the chuck then to cut them. Gonna see him much of that block I can get done tomorrow. I'm up to the point of fitting the the part that the hammer cams into now. Gotta be sure that breech won't move back any when the hammer is all the way forward.

NoZombies
12-29-2014, 02:26 AM
I wish someone was making new blank blocks for the #4 actions. I've got a .32 roller that I'd love to get going. sadly, it's missing it's block entirely. The bore is nice, and it's a solid frame gun too...

skeettx
12-29-2014, 05:43 PM
Call Ken
http://www.rollingblockparts.com/no-4.html

Hooker53
12-29-2014, 11:29 PM
Hey Nozombies. The #4 block is the easiest to find. IV seen no less than three on E-bay the last few weeks. If you can't find one there now, than as Skeet just wrote, call Ken. Let us know what you find and good luck.

Roy

I wish someone was making new blank blocks for the #4 actions. I've got a .32 roller that I'd love to get going. sadly, it's missing it's block entirely. The bore is nice, and it's a solid frame gun too...

On another note, I worked on my block some tonight. It's a slow go getting the correct fit between the hammer and the rub block, for lack of proper names of the area. Lol. I black it. File a little and try it. Black it again and file it. Ha. I thought about setting up a fly cutter on the same Dia as the hammer area that contacts the lock lug, block or area. Ha. I also thought about getting it close than valve compound it in the rest of the way but I want to be done with it before spring Sooooooo. Ha. I will keep blacking and filing it the same way I use to make master templets for Multi wing cutters years ago.

Hooker53
12-30-2014, 08:54 PM
Wheeee. Finaly got it. Finished getting the lock up I wanted on this Breech to hammer cam in. Kept working it down with a jewelers files and 600 sandpaper. When I had a lock up but was 5/16" to 1/4" before contacting the back of the block, I started polishing the **** out of it on a felt wheel and 600 rouge. One good heavy polishing and it would then fully lock with no breech movement and fall forward to contact the breech block with full contact across the surface. Before all that, I file fitted the breech block face using carbon copy paper till I had full seal against the barrel.

Now all I have to do is make the firing pin barrel screw, the extractor washer and the firing pin. I'm hell bent on trying this thing by the week-end. Ha. Ha.

Hooker53
01-01-2015, 06:18 PM
SUCCESS

My Remington Model #2 .38 Is now a center fire. Ha. I do need to re-make the firing pin as its not sitting in the block the way I like to see it. I need to make the small front striking part about .075 longer. The back end that the hammer strikes needs to be about .060 longer and I need to shorten the keeper groove in front some. I made the extractor washer and the firing pin barrel screw out of brass and in time I might get sorry I did but it did dress the Old Gal up a bit. Lol. I'll get some photos maybe later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for all the help from you in the know gents.

P.S. there is one thing I'm wondering, now that it's a Center Fire, which thread do I post my shooting results in??? Lol.

skeettx
01-01-2015, 06:42 PM
GREAT report :) What joy, what joy
Now life will be much easier in the reloading department
What are you now using for components?
Shortened 38 Sp brass?,
healed bullet?? Which mould?
2.0 grains of Bullseye?
Black powder?
Rave on Dude
Mike

Hooker53
01-01-2015, 07:53 PM
Ha. Ha. Thanks LOADS Mike. I'm using 38 Spl cut down .187. With the lite Boolits. They ate .125 gns of the Old West mould. I bought 100 .125 and 100 150 from him to test. I'll test a few more and than give him a call. He said he would do a combo mould one of each and that's prob wht I'll do. The powder was Jim Shockys Gold ffg. I think I might try the Bullseye next because I don't think the Shockys Gold is gonna last long. Lol. It will be easyer to enjoy this gun now but I do think I want to keep on using the PB and the subs. Would 2.0 grains of Bullseye be a good try?? Thanks again for your help. It's been fun converting this gun but the real fun will come next. I even have an old brass scope about 24" Long I'm looking real hard at. Lol. Later man and have a Great New Year.

GREAT report :) What joy, what joy
Now life will be much easier in the reloading department
What are you now using for components?
Shortened 38 Sp brass?,
healed bullet?? Which mould?
2.0 grains of Bullseye?
Black powder?
Rave on Dude
Mike

Mk42gunner
01-02-2015, 05:49 PM
Glad to hear you have the old girl ready to dance again.

I have been thinking about getting one of those breech blocks for mine. I am glad you posted pictures, I was trying to figure out just what in the heck you meant when you wrote about the extractor washer and screw; the BB on my .32 doesn't have separate pieces for that function.

Robert

Hooker53
01-02-2015, 06:41 PM
Robert. The Rim Fire BB on mi e was solid. No washer. Don't know why they casted it that way. The only reason I can think of is the diff between the bar extractor and the rottery type. Gonna have to research that one. I been trimming down brass today. Ha. The only other thing I could do to this gun is to work on the sights some. Reqardless of what I shoot, it hits high. Gonna have to raise the front sight or find a way to lower the rear some more without taking the originality out of it. Glad you stopped in. Next dance--------- reline a barrel to one of my Martini's and chamber to 32 H&R Mag. Ha

Mk42gunner
01-03-2015, 05:40 PM
So am I correct in thinking these are as cast, and will require hardening and tempering after fitting?

I'm glad it is you doing the brass trimming, rather than me. I got spoiled when I was in the Navy and tend to think whole pallets of ammo are required, but in reality a hundred or so cases for this rifle will be more than enough.

Good luck on the Martini.

Robert

Hooker53
01-04-2015, 11:59 AM
No Robert. It is surprisingly made of good metal and is hard enough for me. I knew that the first time I vised it up in the mill. Not p,anni g on shooting anything other than BP so no high pressures. You are correct on the brass count. I said the same thing after I trimmed 50. Ha. I have several MH in line for something. IV been doing inlays and bluing on one 577/450 that I would like to get done before the new liner job in another. My list grows every week. Ha. Thanks for stopping in.

Hooker53
01-10-2015, 10:34 PM
Well. I shot the old Gal right much today and all in all, a good shooter. Every once in awhile I will get a flyer. Don't know what's causing that. Don't think this gun is gonna group like my .22 Hornet ha but is fine for plinking. Gotta see what else I can do to maybe pull the groups in a bit. I'm using a .125 Grn old West Boolit and a full case, 13.8 grn of Shocky's Gold ffg. The only things I know I can change is maybe to go to fffg Gold or maybe Triple 7 and than try diff kinds of lube. Still having a ball with the old gal. Ha

Bigslug
01-11-2015, 12:12 AM
Looks like the Accurate Molds 38-140H with band and heel shank diameters custom-ordered is what you're needing to fit that bore and the modified .38 case. Would be a simple matter to control distance to throat with your trim length, and I'm certain Tom could tweak the design to the 150 grain spec if more length/weight was desired or needed. You are headed for an INSANE amount of fun!

Hooker53
01-11-2015, 12:38 AM
Hello big. Yes. I trim my .38 Spl down so that a .125 grn boolit when loaded on the case just will go into the chamber. If I loaded any of the 150 grn Boolits, I would have to trim the brass a little shorter. After slugging my bore, I found that the Old West moulds Boolits were a great fit in my barrel. I'm setting up to run them thru a Lyman sizing die so I can lube them properly sted of just a tumble lube. I'm sure I will see a diff grouping just with this. Thanks for posting.

Bigslug
01-11-2015, 11:59 AM
I'm just tickled that you're taking the necessary steps to keep this particular gun shooting (PICS PLEASE!). My father got bit by the single shot bug a few years ago, and I've been helping him occupy his retirement with the associated casting, sizing, lube-mixing, loading, and chronographing. We started handloading about 30 years ago, and have tinkered with a lot of strange stuff, but I think the most fun I've had with a firearm may well be shooting his Ballard #2. This was originally .38 Long like your roller, but the bore was D-U-N, so we had John Taylor sleeve it to .38 Long Colt. This rifle has a reversible firing pin system, so the rimfire issue was more easily dealt with than on your Remington. Shooting the Accurate 36-155 sized .358 atop about 11 grains of Triple-7 3F is giving us wonderful accuracy, little noise, and no recoil - with a projectile you could probably take a deer with if you got hungry enough. (Tip - the Lyman 17A and Marbles Improved tang sight combo lets you maximize what these dandies can do without delving into budget-crushing Soules)

The big boomers are fun - but this one is a whole new level of addiction! Suddenly, the .22 ammo shortage does not concern me very much. . . See you at the next Single Shot Shooters Anonymous meeting.[smilie=s:

Hooker53
01-11-2015, 01:15 PM
Hello Bigslug. You just answered a question that came up with me yesterday. I was wondering how the Tripple 7 fffg did in this size case and Boolit combo. My LGS has some and I plan to pick some ffg and some fffg. Any kind of BP sub is hard to come by around here and have to travel 50/60 miles to a Gun Show and even get lucky there. As for the Site you mentioned, I will Deff check that out as that was also on my list for this gun. Ooooh yes. With no more rounds than IV shot in this roller, it would be one of he last ones, that and my best BSA Cadet that I would sell. Ha. Ill try to get so e photos of that roller up today .Have a good day.

P.S. I love your last line. Buddhist Boolits. Ha. Ha.

wills
01-11-2015, 01:27 PM

I was watching a block for a #4 on E bay several years agowith a view to buying one to convert the .32 rf to centerfire. When the bid on the block went past what ipaid for the rifle, I abandoned the thought.

There is however, this: http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=8154 (http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=8154)

Hooker53
01-11-2015, 03:24 PM
H127075127078127079127077Here's My Baby. I was wondering how I could lube my Boolits better stead of just tumbling them and out of the blue, when I ordered the combo mould from
bernie at Old West, He stated that he makes inverted Top Punches that act goes in your sizing die and you invert them after you set the Boolit on the case. The new top punch is flat and pushes on your rim. Simple enough. Ha. Now i can size and lube this old boy at the same time. Gonna be nice to have both the 125 and 150 grn boolit in the same mould.

Bigslug
01-12-2015, 10:42 PM
I was wondering how the Tripple 7 fffg did in this size case and Boolit combo. My LGS has some and I plan to pick some ffg and some fffg.

What with the restrictions California puts on real black, we never even bothered with it, but we've used the Triple Seven in rounds from this to 45-120 and a Whitworth replica, and it is not lacking in the accuracy department. Easier to clean up after than the real stuff, even though it doesn't smell as good. Just learn the conversion process before you start - it's not a straight 1-1 replacement.

Hooker53
01-13-2015, 07:39 PM
Good info Big. I will check on this. Right now the load I'm using is 13.8 grns of the Shocky Gold ffg. That is also a full case at that amount. What I will have to do is Fig the diff between the a gold and the Tripple 7. I need to do a comparison and see if the 7 is hotter than the Gold. In our area, the Trip 7 is 29.95 for one of the small bottles. I'm sure the Hasmat fee is right in there. Lol. Thanks for the info.

Roy

Hooker53
01-14-2015, 10:16 PM
Anyone out there have a Tang Peep on their #2 Roller? Just wondering what's out there I could get and put on mine. Heck. Might as well go all the way with this one. Ha. My hole to hole center distance looks like 1 15/16" or close to it. I think this might help me pull those groups in on this one. I have a Long brass Mossberg #7? scope. Now that would be a hoot sitting on top that Roller. Ha.

Mk42gunner
01-15-2015, 03:10 AM
Hooker53, Nice looking rifle.

I still have the original barrel mounted sights on mine, a few years ago I almost bought a Fecker scope and mounts at an auction. Unfortunately there was one other guy there that also knew what it was worth and he had more disposable income than I did. Actually I wasn't all that serious about it, I could still see front sights then.....

Robert

Hooker53
01-15-2015, 05:12 PM
Ha. Ha. Robert, I know what you mean. I think it would help my eyes and the grouping to try an old scope or a peep. Just can't see putting as much in a peep as I would a scope. Now. If I had some good Machine Shop drawings for a folding type peep, than that would be a cinch. Lol

Bigslug
01-16-2015, 12:11 AM
Anyone out there have a Tang Peep on their #2 Roller? Just wondering what's out there I could get and put on mine. Heck. Might as well go all the way with this one. Ha. My hole to hole center distance looks like 1 15/16" or close to it. I think this might help me pull those groups in on this one. I have a Long brass Mossberg #7? scope. Now that would be a hoot sitting on top that Roller. Ha.

Here ya go: http://www.marblearms.com/improvedPeepTang_info.html

Nice thing about the Improved version of the Marbles is that you buy the one base and can buy different height interchangeable staffs if you either guess wrong or decide to play at a wildly different distance. Windage-adjustable too!

For field use, I like the HK-style sight picture you get teaming this up with the narrowest post insert in a 17-A front. For black bull's eyes, ring inserts are da bomb. Both vastly preferable to open irons with old eyebones.

Hooker53
01-16-2015, 06:29 PM
Hey Big. That's a good list. Gonna study it some tonight. Just can't get over a tang sight costing as much as a scope. Lol. Guess that's just the name of the game. They do t sell as many of these as scopes do have to make the adjustment. Ha. What I would like to do is find some machine shop drawings on one. Lol.

Hooker53
01-17-2015, 11:30 AM
Had to sit it up on there to see what it looks like. Ha. Ha. Whats ya thing shooters, Scope or Peep???127714127712

Bigslug
01-17-2015, 12:51 PM
If it's already drilled for a peep, then peep.

If you have to have it drilled for either, then I'd probably still go peep. Less offensive to the purist you might opt to sell it to later. Then again, if you're irreversibly violating the originality, you could drill six holes and set it up for both.

While I like external adjustment scopes unhealthily more than the next man, given the period of the gun, the fact that it's pretty much stock with the original breech block installed, and the relative gutlessness of the cartridge, I'd save that optic for something with a little more boom.

I regard the .38 Long as a .22LR that's done some steroids. It's a REALLY fun shredder of water bottles and cans out to a hundred yards or so, with a ballistic arc that has to be compensated for within that distance. If your goal is to declare war on the local rodents, a .22 is probably still the better way to go, for lack of ricocheting mass if nothing else. I would save the technical fiddling of an E.A. scope for a longer range system where fiddling is more inherent to the process and use this rifle as something to slam a lot of cheaply assembled plinking rounds through in a hurry. In short, it is the ideal medium to channel your inner six year old.[smilie=w:

Mk42gunner
01-17-2015, 01:36 PM
Knowing just how dainty a #2 Rolling Block really is; I have to vote for the tang sight. My tang is already drilled and tapped, with filler screws.

Robert

Hooker53
01-17-2015, 03:13 PM
Gentlemen. That scope will probably not go on my roller least I get very bored with it or see second thoughts. Drill and tap the barrel for it? Never. 380 Black Max will prevent that. We are not talking 30-06 recoil here so I'm sure it would hold. My tang is already drilled and tapped from the factory and plugged. I was just thinking. I already have the scope and it's paid for. A marble 009819, $150 bucks with all the extras you can get for it. I think I would like to try the peep before my eyes won't let me. Lol. Now if a lad were to post a real deal on a 009819, it would not last long if i caught it. Thanks for posting and have a great weekend. Think I'll go shoot that roller.

skeettx
01-17-2015, 05:03 PM
See here
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/135512/marbles-tang-peep-sight-remington-1-2-5-steel-blue

Hooker53
01-17-2015, 05:10 PM
Yep. That's it. That's the one I would go with. Gonna have to treat. Yes,f to that one soon. Ha. Thanks Mike.

kootne
01-17-2015, 07:45 PM
Hooker, check out the repop sight on Gunbroker. Search Remington tang sight #2. It has way more class (in my humble opinion) does probably cost a little more and needs finish. But, it is THE right sight for that rifle.
kootne

skeettx
01-17-2015, 09:16 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=463946832

Hooker53
01-17-2015, 11:24 PM
Hey thanks Kootne and Mike for the info and link. Not a bad looking sight. Have to wonder what that veneer highth is on that sight. The only thing a tang peep sight is doing is giving you a hole that lines up with the front and back sight on your barrel right?

Bigslug
01-18-2015, 01:42 AM
Nope. Replaces the rear barrel sight in function and increases your sight radius. Depending on your rear sight, you'll either fold it down, or take it off - putting a filler blank in the dovetail slot for aesthetics. When coupled with a globe front sight (like Lyman 17A), you get something much easier for old eyeballs to work with. Here; education! https://www.google.com/search?q=globe+sight+picture&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=tEW7VLueAY2zyAS_lYGAAw&ved=0CDYQ7Ak&biw=1366&bih=643#tbm=isch&q=Lyman+17A

You center the outer ring of the front sight inside the ring of the rear sight. WAY easier than trying to get clear focus on a post in a v-notch. I find a post insert in the 17A is best for plinking, but the ring insert best for bullseyes. For that you just add one more circle to the alignment process - when the black bullseye has an even ring of white around it, send the shot.

Hooker53
01-18-2015, 08:52 AM
Well yea. I knew you would have to remove the rear sight. I meant like sighting Through the same plane. Ha. All good info. Gonna go read that Google Edu. Wink. Y'all have a good day.

ofitg
01-18-2015, 11:58 AM
Hooker53, your mention of a .375/125 heeled bullet reminded me of something I was playing with last week.

I bought a cheap wire clipper from the "dollar" store and drilled through the jaws with a 9.0 mm bit. I used that tool to "crimp" the rear end of a slug from the LEE .375/130 mould. Instant heeled bullet!

skeettx
01-18-2015, 05:14 PM
Here is what we do. You leave the rear sight on and sight it in for a lesser distance.
In this case the rear sight set for 25 yards, the tang sight set for 50 yards.
No issues
Mike

Hooker53
01-18-2015, 06:40 PM
Now that's a cool move. Smart one too. Ha. Thanks Mike.

Here is what we do. You leave the rear sight on and sight it in for a lesser distance.
In this case the rear sight set for 25 yards, the tang sight set for 50 yards.
No issues
Mike

kootne
01-18-2015, 07:33 PM
Hooker, another trick with having a barrel site and a tang sight is to put a Beach sight on the front. Then use the barrel sight with the post and the tang sight with the globe/pinhead. Note that old Remington dovetails are not the same as modern stuff, if you do get a Beach sight for the front, make sure it has the 7/16" dovetail base or you will have to make a little gib to take up the slack.
kootne

Hooker53
01-18-2015, 08:21 PM
Hey Kootne. I went to Buffalo Arms and looked at the Beach combination flip sites by Red River. Now I have two things to get or make for this Roller. Lol. Thanks man. Good info.

Roy

kootne
01-18-2015, 08:25 PM
Hooker, it's probably cheaper going through a divorce or a fire than hanging out on this website. You have been warned.

Hooker53
01-18-2015, 09:05 PM
Kootne. You hit the X Ring with that one. Lol. Boys gotta have their toys!!

Hooker53
01-25-2015, 09:56 AM
New Update

Well. I got in the new Boolit mould forthis gun Friday and all I can say is WOW. It came from Old West Moulds. It's also my first brass mould. I had Bernie to make me a combo mould. One Cav is for the 125 grn heeled Boolit and the other is for the 150 grn heeled. I also got the inverted top and bottem punches to fit my 4500 sizer/luber. This mould is a work of art and can't wait to try a few. Keep shooting these old Rim Fires guys. It's a hoot.

Roy
Hooker53

Hooker53
02-01-2015, 12:14 AM
Good report. I shot my #2 again today with the Boolits from my new mould and the new way to resize them. It's shooting close enough with 13.8 grns of J'S Gold that to work with the loads any better I'm gonna have to get me a tang peep. So. Guess I will be working on one of them. Keep shooting these old guns gents they are a hoot!!!!

Roy

Hooker53
02-02-2015, 07:29 PM
I have located a Marbles R3 tang site that will fit my #2 roller. I know it's for #4 but think its right on the line of being high enough. The owner said it would extend out to 2.5" tall. If that center stake is a straight rod and netThreaded I think I can make a longer one. If not, then it will look nice sitting on my #4. Ha. Ha.

Has anyone here tried an R3 on their #2 roller and how did it do?? Thanks y'all.

Roy

Bigslug
02-04-2015, 11:12 AM
Hooker, check my earlier posts about the IMPROVED Marble's tang sights. These let you change out to taller staffs with the turn of an Allen screw without loosing your windage setting on the permanent base. No need to get freaky in the machine shop.

Hooker53
02-04-2015, 08:21 PM
Hey Bigslug. Thanks for the reminder and also for the word about the 17-A front.

Hooker53
02-14-2015, 02:37 PM
As you all know, I been working up some loads for my Rem #2 Roller. My main load has been 13.8 grns of JS Gold ffg which is also all I can get into the shortened .38 Spl case. I had two things waiting on me when I got home yesterday. A new Lyman 17-A front sight and a F1 Chrony. As much better as I could group with the new sight this morning just using it and the rear Buckhorn, I can't imagine how good it's gonna be when I do get a rear peep on it. At 50 it brought my groups into abt 3" shooting offhand. Love it.

On the Chrony. The above load clocked right around 1047 average. So now I have a standard to go from on this rifle. I know I must have aggregated one or two with questions about my new interest in these old guns and I'm sorry. Forgive my Overzealousness in trying to bring all this into thinking and thank you for your help.

P. S. as an added funny bonus report, I had one round that I questioned from the get-go late one night when I was loading these as if it got any powder. I'm happy to report using my new F1 Chrony that a small pistol primer ONLY will hurl a 125 grn heeled Boolit at 400.1 FPS five feet from the muzzle. Lol.

skeettx
02-14-2015, 05:17 PM
:)
Great report and keep them coming!!
As to those you may have aggravated, may they get a better life.
Mike

Mk42gunner
02-14-2015, 05:55 PM
I'm somewhat surprised that just a primer will propel a boolit out of the barrel.

As to the rest, I agree with Mike. At the very least, reading about someone getting an old gun going again isn't reading about the same new stuff that Joe Blow can buy at Wally World.

Robert

Hooker53
02-14-2015, 06:07 PM
Robert. I was more surprised than you till I heard it hit the Boolit Trap and I looked on the Chrony. Ha. I'm Kinda wondering now what just a small rifle Prim would do. Ha.

I'm somewhat surprised that just a primer will propel a boolit out of the barrel.

As to the rest, I agree with Mike. At the very least, reading about someone getting an old gun going again isn't reading about the same new stuff that Joe Blow can buy at Wally World.

Robert

Hooker53
03-06-2015, 05:54 PM
Loaded up some more 125 Grn. Boolits today. Two diff loads. The first was my standard load for this gun at 13.8 Gns of Jim S Gold ffg. They clocked at an Average 1058 FPS.

The other load was just 2.0 Gns of Bullseye. They clocked an Average of 649.5. I'm wondering now if I need to step the BE up a little or back the ffg Gold down some. Whatz y'all think?

skeettx
03-06-2015, 06:44 PM
2.7 Grains of Bullseye
Fun load
Mike

Hooker53
03-06-2015, 07:19 PM
Mike, I will work right up to that load and after trying it, will report how my gun likes it. Thanks

Roy
Hooker53

2.7 Grains of Bullseye
Fun load
Mike

Bigslug
03-07-2015, 03:12 PM
Based on my intentions in the Martini Cadet thread, I would ramp the 125 grain loads up to the point that you find an accuracy node somewhere around 1100 fps. This will put you into the same performance dynamic as .22 match ammo; you're starting sub-sonic so you don't have the airflow problems associated with having to cross the transsonic barrier shortly out of the barrel, yet you're moving as fast as you can go within that limit, giving the best possible trajectory for a low-noise round.

Hooker53
03-07-2015, 05:18 PM
Mike are you using the 2.7 in the 150 Gns Boolit as well or just the 125?

Bigslug, that's good stuff right there and will continue to work up. Sounds like you have a clear path. Both my Cadet and my Rem #2 has become my two best enjoyed guns but that might change when I start working up some loads for my 22 Hornet. Than I will have 3 Fav's. Lol

2.7 Grains of Bullseye
Fun load
Mike

Ok. I loaded up and shot some 2.6 Grn loads of BE today and my Ave was 835.2. That's not up to my BP load of 1058 but just wondering if I wantto match the BP load with BE? 2.7 might be my limit. I know the two powders burn diff but don't know if I want to go that high with the smokeless. Either way, shooting off hand, the 2.6 gave me around 2" grouping and I'm sure it would have been better rested. Gotta find me a good bench rest. Thanks for all your post guys. It's just to much fun for one person. Lol.

skeettx
03-07-2015, 07:48 PM
Roy
Yes, 150 grain and 2.7 will be just fine.
I am pleased with your accuracy! You happy with this?
Let me know what the 2.7 does for you !!
Enjoy,
Mike

Bigslug
03-07-2015, 10:57 PM
Hooker, I'm really disappointed to hear that you're enjoying this rifle so much, but when you finally realize it's no good for bison or re-enacting the Billy Dixon shot, my $50 offer for it still stands.[smilie=1:

Hooker53
03-08-2015, 08:52 AM
Hooker, I'm really disappointed to hear that you're enjoying this rifle so much, but when you finally realize it's no good for bison or re-enacting the Billy Dixon shot, my $50 offer for it still stands.[smilie=1:

Ha. Ha. Ok Big. When I miss and don't put down my first Buffi here in Va. You will be the first I contact. If you have followed the thread on the ETR-7 powder that some of us bought a few weeks ago, I loaded some of that up for this one last night. I started with 1.5 grns and stepped it up to 2.4 by 2/10th's. Gonna try that today and see how it does. One never knows till you try it but have a thought it's gonna be close if not a little cooler to BE. Later Bigslug.

Hooker53
03-08-2015, 06:37 PM
First. I tried a few loads of 2.7 Bullseye. My average Vel was about 742.00 at a 2.5" grouping. Shot standing open sights.

The ETR-7 powder that you may have been reading about is, started with 1.0 Gns. 283.1. Ha.
Stepped up by .5 to 3 Gns and the finnal on that was 723.01. With 2.7" grouping.

What I'm wondering is if I'm getting 1004.0 FPS with 13.8 Gns of Jim S gold ffg would you step your smokeless load up to match it? All in all, I'm liking the Gold load and 2.7 of a bullseye so far for the grouping I'm getting.

I'm wondering about the stepped up smokeless load for hunting later on. I know IV said it before but know I'm not gonna be satisfied with this gun till i'v shot some loads with a tang sight on it. Keep shooting guys

Roy
Hooker53

skeettx
03-08-2015, 08:05 PM
Roy
OK, some homework
Read this
http://www.reloadammo.com/38loads.htm
Beware of higher pressures

Pistols and Revolvers

38 Special

148 gr Speer HBWC
Bullseye
CCI 500

http://www.alliantpowder.com/images/product_images/reloaders_guide/bullseye.jpg

Minimum OAL(inches)

Bbl Length

Primer

Powder

Charge Weight
grains)

Velocity
(fps)

CCI 500
Bullseye (http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/powder/bullseye.aspx)

If you want more velocity than what you will get with Bullseye then switch to Unique and work it up.
It is a slower burning powder and will do what you wish

Mike

Hooker53
03-08-2015, 08:23 PM
Mike. Your A great help. That's what I was looking for. I will read and absorb. Thanks so much.

Roy

Edit Note: man that link you sent was just one page of a bigger site that has loads of good info on it. Gonna look that over good.

Roy

Hooker53
03-09-2015, 05:09 PM
Ok Gentlmen. I shot this Roller again today with 2.8 Gns of BE and I caught it doing something, I bet you have heard of. The first two shots are one right through the first ones hole almost. After that, they start spreading out into a group of about 2.5" every once in a while I get a flyer. IV noticed it doing it all along but thought it was me. This time I rested it and saw it first hand. Any ideas? thanks guys.

Roy
Hooker53

skeettx
03-09-2015, 06:26 PM
Yes, are the base of the bullets not standard? so it is not flying straight?

Also maybe the Bullseye is a bit fast burning for your particular barrel

So, now try Unique and see what happens, isn't this FUN!!

Mike

p.s. one more thought!! As the barrel heats up the function of the bullet lube changes, maybe a
higher temp lube would assist?????????

Hooker53
03-09-2015, 07:46 PM
Mike. The bases are flat to the sprue. I will work up some loads with the Unique and will go from there on to a diff lube if needed. Yes. It's a riot. Stuff like this don't set me back it helps to learn the gun. That and good folk that helps out. I will report back after some more testing. Thanks Loads.

Roy

Hooker53
03-09-2015, 08:35 PM
Hooker, it's probably cheaper going through a divorce or a fire than hanging out on this website. You have been warned.

Hey Kootne. I'm calling your statement, the "Statement Of The Year". I bought a Lyman 17-A for this roller and loving it sooooo much I'm thinking about getting another one for my Remington 512 and a Full Buckhorn if I can find one. Lol. I'm starting to like these types of iron sights over scopes. For Right Now. Lol. Later

Roy
Hooker53

Hooker53
03-10-2015, 09:35 PM
Been an interesting day for shooting. Started out with a few loads of 2.5, 3.0, and 3.5 Gns of Unique. The 2.5 came in at around 574.4. The 3.0 loads came in at abt 682.3. The 3.5 came in at an Ave of 790.5. The last one was very diff. I all of a sudden remembered a few post I read about holding your rifle straight up and smacking g it a few times and then slowly lowering it to target. When I did that, the last shot jumped to 1007. Ha. Ha.

So. What I'm gonna do next is back down to 3.0 and do the straight up and lower each shot at 50 Yds sted of 25 rested and see what they do grouping wise. Just more fun every day. Ha. Keep shooting.

Roy
Hooker53

Hooker53
03-15-2015, 11:20 AM
Some of us have bought and or kept up with the thread on the ETR-7 powder. I have shot a few loads and it's a good but a little on the side of dirty. Ha. So far, I believe it to be a slower burning powder than say Unique. I know I can load an even charge of this powder and the same with Unique and Chrony them but seems like there are still some verables here that would fail to prove out my wonderings. Ha. What say yee shooters? Anyone here run a sim test? Thanks

Roy
Hooker53

Hooker53
04-16-2015, 06:43 PM
Ok guys. Same old stuff. Our area is void of Small pistol primes for right now. I still have some but just wondering, have any of you used Small rifle primers and just backed the powder load down to compensate? Do t know how much I would back it down but just a thought here. Keep shooting Gents.

Roy
Hooker53

skeettx
04-16-2015, 06:59 PM
Yes, I use Rem 5 1/2 primers in my 38 Special target loads with 3.1 grains of 231.
Recently I have loaded 5000 rounds and no issues.
Did the initial test firing in a Smith Model 28
Now I shoot them in most anything including my Colt Mid-Range Match 38 Special auto.

For your tests, I would back down 1/2 grain and then evaluate.

I did tighten all the strain screws on my Smith revolvers, yes, Yes, I know it should have
been that way from the beginning :)

Oh, yes, I also loaded 100 rounds of 9mm using the 5 1/2 primer and 4756. No issues !!
Did the test firing in a Ruger Blackhawk with the 9mm cylinder installed, sure is a stout gun!

Mike

Hooker53
04-16-2015, 07:48 PM
Mike, that .5 grn backdown was the key I was looking for. Thanks again so much for comi g to the rescue. I will Chrony wht my small P primers and their loads are doing this weekend and then Chrony the back downs with the small R primers and see what gives. Thanks again.

Roy
Hooker53

Hooker53
05-26-2015, 09:54 PM
OK Thought I would share a Photo here of a group I shot with my #2 roller the other day. This was at 50 yds. 2.5 grns of Titegroup and a 125 Gn Boolit. I'm begining to think this is the best this old bore is gonna do but I will keep working on it. This was soft rested. I know. I know, need to get me a good rifle rest. Tell me what you think and NO BIGSLUG, it's still not for sell!!!! LOL.

Keep shooting guys. 140604

Mk42gunner
05-26-2015, 10:47 PM
Well, for fifty yards that isn't bad; a bit of vertical dispersion, but not bad.

Looks like it would do for most sitting rabbits anyway.

Robert

Hooker53
05-27-2015, 12:26 AM
Hello Robert. Well. I think I'm gonna invest in a REAL rifle rest and know for sure on this one. I been shooting this one on a big ol fluffy pillow over top of my grill. Ha. This lite load is ok for plinking but gonna really have to bare down on a heaver hunting load. The few hotter loads IV tried, caused the grouping to start opening up. Ha. Don't know anything I can try Diff on the sights and dont know if i want to tax this old #2 anymore past about 4.5 gns of Unique type powder. Thanks for checking in and posting.

Roy
Hooker53

skeettx
05-27-2015, 03:50 PM
He he he
Get a good shooting rest, go to the bank and get some cash and coin bags, go to the co-op and
get some wheat, fill the bags 3/4 full. zip up and pin with safety pin.
Put one small bag on the solid rest.
Put some more bags under the buttstock,
and
Use one or two bags under your elbow.
Mike

Big and heavy is good, BUT that is not me, I like light and portable
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/494634/caldwell-handy-rest-nxt-front-shooting-rest?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Hooker53
05-28-2015, 04:55 PM
Hey Mike. Good info here. The Caldwell line was what I was looking at. They have lots of choices. I will be getting one soon and then I can use that and my Chrony to get a little more serious with this and two other rifles. At least with the stand, you can take some of the human factor out. Wink. Lol

Roy
Hooker53

Mk42gunner
05-29-2015, 12:00 AM
I bought several old canvas shot bags at the last gunshow. My plan is to fill them with either sand, sawdust, or a mixture of the two. Sand can get heavy, sawdust is light, but can really absorb moisture.

For my sawdust, I have a few bags of wood pellets that got wet, dry them out and there's my sawdust...

Not quite as easy to use as a regular rifle rest, but they will accommodate any rifle.

Robert

skeettx
05-29-2015, 08:40 AM
But a well fitting ziplock bag inside the canvas shot bag to hold the sawdust.
It will keep out moisture and keep in dust.
Mike

Hooker53
05-29-2015, 06:18 PM
Another good idea and I do save all my Ziplocks after lunch at work to store cleaned brass in. Ha.

Roy
Hooker53

Mk42gunner
05-29-2015, 11:34 PM
I'll try to remember the plastic bag trick, it will be a while since we got another inch or two of the wet stuff today....

Robert

Hooker53
05-30-2015, 11:04 PM
Robert. Keep the feet dry and silly-con on the blueing. :lol:

Roy
Hooker53

Mk42gunner
05-31-2015, 01:49 AM
Roy,
Funny you should mention keeping my feet dry. When I went out to the barn to feed the dogs and the horse yesterday morning, I stepped into a slurry of mud right under the dripline of the eaves. Mud about six inches over my ankle. I will swear there used to be a firm gravel base there.

The hose sure was cold rinsing the mud and other things off my foot.

Rubber knee boots from now on while feeding if it even looks wet outside.

Still wondering where the gravel went....

Robert

Hooker53
06-21-2015, 11:04 AM
Happy Fathers Day to all my Rim Fire buddies!!!!

Roy
Hooker53

Hooker53
09-08-2015, 09:16 PM
Ok. Let's check in here. Has anyone installed a tang sight on their #2 roller yet? IV just about have my Marlin 27 pump 25-20 whipped into shape with an old Marbles M8 tang sight on the way. When I have this one in the black I want to turn my time back to this old freind of a roller here. There's just way to many oLd guns out there in bad need of money and time spent on them and just not enough of either to go around. Lol keep shooting.

Roy
Hooker53

ndnchf
09-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Roy - I have this Marbles R3 mounted on my #2 RRB. It's a sweet little 32-20 rifle, and the tang sight helps my old eyes.

Hooker53
09-09-2015, 04:59 PM
ND. That's a nice looking sight sitting on a nice looking #2. That's what I would like to find for my roller. That 32-20 is a great caliber ain't it? I love these old guns. Thanks for posting that photo.

Roy
Hooker53

ndnchf
09-09-2015, 05:06 PM
Thanks. I'm fond of rollers. I have another #2 in 32 extra long rimfire that I shoot with my own reloadable shells. Also have two #4s, one in 22 LR, the other a 32 long rimfire I converted to centerfire and now shoot 32 long colt. The #4s both have original tang sights.

TXGunNut
09-09-2015, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the pic, ndnchf. Looks like a sweet rifle.

ndnchf
09-10-2015, 05:27 AM
Thanks, it is a sweet rifle. The #2s are really about the perfect size.

Roy - earlier in the thread you mentioned having a line on a Marbles R3 - did you get it? If so, I can help with getting the correct mounting screws if you need them.

Hooker53
09-10-2015, 04:32 PM
I thought I had an R3 but turns out the fellow was wrong on the type he had so I'm still back on the hunt. Ha. OK. Will PM you about the screws shortly. I think i would like a 32-20. Maybe a Savage 23-C if i find a deal on one. I have a Martini Cadet that shots a Mod 32-20. We call them 310 Magnums and I love that little gun. Ha. I would say that the 25-20 and the 32-20 is my Fav's Thanks for that info.

Roy
Hooker53

Hooker53
10-25-2015, 07:42 PM
Great week. I finnaly found a tang peep sight for my #2 roller 38 RF. the gentalman that runs Homestead Firearm Parts got a few in. It's a Marbles and comes with three Ap disk. The screws to install it on a #2 and all for under a C note shipped.

While I was at it, I even got one for my Marlin 27 in 25-20 pump rifle. I think Im fixed for awhile on tang sights now. Can't wait to get it on and get it set up. So if any of ya out there needs one, gettem while you can. It's the best price IV seen for a complete kit, so to speak. Keep shooting Guys.

Roy
Hooker53

ndnchf
10-27-2015, 08:40 PM
Can you post a photo of that new tang sight on your #2 roller?

Hooker53
10-29-2015, 08:28 PM
Hello ND. Yes. Let me get off work tomorrow and fire up the camera and will post one for you. I think I'm gonna like it. Have not installed it yet but will after work tomorrow.

Roy
Hooker53

Hooker53
10-30-2015, 09:04 PM
ndnchf, my computer is confused. Ha. Let me get that straightened out and will post a photo. You can PM me your email and can forward it that way. I use an iPad here most of the time and have had no luck posting a photo with it.

Roy

Hooker53
11-01-2015, 09:19 PM
Well. Tried out my new tang sight today on my #2 roller. Right happy with it. The only problem I have with it, is it don't go down low enough. I need it to screw down about another .100 thou. The way it's made, don't think I could take it apart and cut any off. Guess I will need to buy a higher front 17-A. I have a .404 on it now. Anyone have a .494 they would trade?? Ha. All in all, think it will be great when I get it ironed out. Keep shooting guys.

Roy
Hooker53