PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Piggyback Press Info Needed

azshtr
08-26-2014, 04:20 PM
Anyone out there have a manual/instructions for the RCBS Piggyback Press they are willing to copy and send. Be happy to pay or trade something for your time and trouble.

I am cleaning out and came across this old RCBS Piggyback press which seems to have a problem indexing as I can not move the ram down the last 2 or so inches as it seems to bind at that point. I want to sell and will list after making sure that the press will cycle as it should. I know it is probably missing parts, a #6 shell plate is installed with a set of RCBS .357 SIG Dies. I removed the powder measure long ago and either sold it or traded something for it.

If anyone has suggestions regarding the binding problem I would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

seagiant
08-26-2014, 04:32 PM
Hi,
I think "Catshooter" is up on those!

CastingFool
08-26-2014, 04:39 PM
this may have what you need

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/Parts_Book.pdf

cheese1566
08-26-2014, 07:00 PM
PM sent

I would check the area on the top plate where the dies are seated. Inside the small center hole is a nylon bushing and a one direction bearing. The center rod that is connected to the shellplate area runs up into the bearing and nylon bushing. The rod is hex shaped and has a twist in it at one point. The action of the rod passing through the bearings and the twist, makes the shellplate advance.

I have two of these old girls and my AmmoMaster is a full size progressive based on the same parts. Good stuff!

If you are thinking of selling, let me know. I would probably take it in its current condition!
I have lots of extra parts and shellplates for them. They make good little presses for dedicated calibers.

link to a manual in pdf:

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/piggyback_conversion_unit_instructions.pdf

cheese1566
08-26-2014, 07:13 PM
Also...

First, will the shellpate turn in one direction (advance) without moving the ram up and down?

Sometimes mine will bind a little if the shell plate gets turned a little. I can usually advance it forward to solve it.

My first one had a bad bearing and wouldnt let the shellplate\ram come all the way down. These are one direction bearings that only allow rotation in one direction.

troyboy
08-26-2014, 09:56 PM
I agree check the nylon bushing. Raise the ram a bit, lube the rod and bushing, advance the shellplate, lower the ram. Also check the shellplate alignment with the guide post on the base. If the hole in the shellplate does not line up with the guide post, the ram will not lower fully.

azshtr
08-26-2014, 11:36 PM
Thanks to all for the help. I got it figured out it was as cheese1566 and troyboy had posted. Just wish I had checked back on the thread earlier before I downloaded all 3 piggyback downloads from RCBS and spent a couple of hours reading, disassembling and figuring it out.

Again guys. Great forum with many helping hand members on this site.