PDA

View Full Version : savage 219B cocking problems

atr
08-26-2014, 01:43 PM
savage 219B problems with cocking
when the forearm is in position it will not cock, i.e. the hammer assembly does not want to rotate far enough to engage the metal piece attached to the trigger

when the forearm is taken off it will cock,,,,

the major parts of the cocking assembly and trigger have been checked and/or replaced (its a simple system)

any thoughts?

atr

Mk42gunner
09-01-2014, 06:45 AM
Do you have access to another Savage single shot barrel and forearm to try? Even a shotgun?

This rifle has worked in your presence before, hasn't it?

I found a 12 ga barrel and forearm from I think a Model 94 shotgun (no model # on the barrel) that fits my 219 like it was made for it.

Robert

mrbill2
09-01-2014, 12:42 PM
Are you sure you have the right fore-end. Do the numbers on the hardware match those on the action.

pietro
09-01-2014, 02:35 PM
Since the 219B's cocking lever is activated by up-pressure from the spring-loaded stud in the side of the barrel lug, one of two things could be causing your issue:

The (non-original ?) forend iron is too long on the bottom, limiting the barrel's opening enough to cock the rifle when the FE's installed

or

The spring that's behind the round cocking stud on the side of the bbl lug is possibly broken, or loaded with crud - leading the stud to disengage with the cocking arm inside the receiver sidewall. (unlikely, though - since you said it's cocks OK with the FE removed).

atr
09-02-2014, 10:06 PM
thanks for your thoughts.....they mirror my own,,,,,
rifle was functioning.....then just stopped....that is puzzle #1 what caused it to stop cocking
I replaced the cocking arm and checked the spring loaded button which pushes on the cocking arm....all good
I filed off some material where I thought it might me binding....no change...
I have checked all other internals plus their alighnment.....nothing amiss that I can see.

right now its a total puzzle
if I do find the solution I will let you know
wish me luck
atr