PDA

View Full Version : vintage Lyman 55 powder measure question

Battis
08-26-2014, 10:17 AM
I bought an old orange Lyman 55 powder measure - it goes well with my old orange Lyman press. It came with one drop tube - by the inside diameter measurement (.215), it's a Small tube. Small tubes are good up to .270 caliber. Large tubes are for .300 and above. I used the small tube to reload some .38 and .351 Winchester rounds and it worked well.
Questions: would a Large tube work better? I know it would allow more powder to flow faster, but are there any other advantages?
Do baffles help?
I also saw on ebay a weight set that drops into the canister (in place of a baffle).
Oh yeah - Don't call Lymans this morning. The girl that answers the phone is in a really bad mood.

kenn
08-26-2014, 10:26 AM
i have a 40+ year old lyman 55. I have both the large and small. I don't use the small one at all and I'm loading .357, .452, and .461. The .452 belled fits "flush" with the large drop tube as I hold the shell up to the base of the tube. I have it mounted on a lyman metal "L" stand. The .461 when belled isn't going to fit so I'm going to have to figure out a solution involving some kind of funnel. I'm certain you can still find/order the large drop tube. I would if I were you.

pworley1
08-26-2014, 11:00 AM
If you are getting consistent charges with the drop tube you have, use it. If you have access to a lathe you can make whatever size tube you need.

08-26-2014, 11:26 AM
A few appropriately sized drill bits, a drill or drill press, and a few minutes will get you whatever size hole you want.

Battis
08-26-2014, 11:50 AM
I got through to a tech at Lymans and he said, basically, if the small tube works, use it, but a large tube will be faster. I only have one caliber smaller than .300 so I'll probably get the large tube ($2.50 plus $4.00 shipping). I set the scale at 15 grs of 4227 and if my digital scale was right, the Lyman was throwing 14.5 to 15.2 etc. Maybe the large tube will be more consistent - maybe my digital scale was off.
Kinda funny when I bought the Lyman measure - no one in the store knew what the knocker was for. I must have stared at it for a half hour, then my wife came along, looked at it, and told me what it was. I hate when that happens.

Sensai
08-26-2014, 01:34 PM
There is an art to using that vintage powder measure. To get the most accuracy out of the drops, you have to do each drop exactly the same. I mean tempo, vibrations, everything. Even down to keeping the hopper at about the same level will influence the drops. Best wishes

Battis
08-26-2014, 01:59 PM
What about baffles?

Sensai
08-26-2014, 02:40 PM
I've never used baffles in that style measure, only press mounted measures. I'm not saying that it's not a good idea, I just don't have any personal experience with it.

seagiant
08-26-2014, 03:08 PM
Hi,
Here is my older one. It does not have the screw adjusts. You just push the slides where you want for adjustment. As was stated you can get some aluminum round stock and make your own drop tubes! Keeps you from having to deal with women that behave like your ex-girlfriend!

Battis
08-26-2014, 03:35 PM
That is probably older than the one I bought. I just ordered the large tube online from Lymans. What the heck.
Is that a vintage Kleenbore box under the measure?

troyboy
08-26-2014, 03:48 PM
As many times the wicked witch from Lyman has come up, one would think she and the broom would get sent elsewhere

Battis
08-26-2014, 05:11 PM
So, she's known? I thought it was me.

seagiant
08-27-2014, 02:22 AM
That is probably older than the one I bought. I just ordered the large tube online from Lymans. What the heck.
Is that a vintage Kleenbore box under the measure?

Hi,
Well..uh..yea...I guess it is?

Battis
08-27-2014, 06:41 AM
I started collecting old Kleenbore "dog bone" boxes awhile back, especially the boxes that do not say "keep out of reach of children". Why, I don't know, just that they're cool.