PDA

View Full Version : Buying used

alleyyooper
01-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Is it a good Idea to buy a used Muzzle loader?

:mrgreen: Al

madcaster
01-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Sure,IF the bore is clean and IF you check to be sure it is unloaded!:coffee:

01-29-2008, 02:41 PM
My only conern comes when I consider the breech plug. All the rest is out in the open and you can decide yea or nea on blueing, stock, sights, barrel condition, etc. The breech plug is where unseen weakness can be lurking. I talk to the owner and get a feel as to how it was cared for and maintained. What I like to hear is that he cleaned his gun well and treated the barrel/breech with penetrating oil. After the solvents and moisture are wiped out, water and corosive salts can still make their way into the threaded area and start to rust. Unless you spin the breech plug out (a pretty radical thing to do or expect the seller to do) you just have to use your best judgement. Good luck.

skullmount
01-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Is it a good Idea to buy a used Muzzle loader?

What are you looking at getting ? Flinter, sidelock or in-line.......

alleyyooper
01-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Maybe a White Lighting.

mooman76
01-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Just my opinion but I go by the ouside condition of the gun. I figure if they took care of the outside the inside should be good too. That doesn't mean I don't look down the bore too. They make a bore lite for MLs. It drops down the bore. Of coarse you still can't see the breach plug but it gives you a better idea and in general you can see how they cared for it. And buy the way I don't pay much for a used one. Allot of times they want new prices and I figure you are taking more of a chance with a used ML.

skullmount
01-30-2008, 07:04 AM
Maybe a White Lighting.

Being an in-line, the plug will remove easily, as long as the gun has been taken care of !

Have you located one ?

What caliber ? oops, well doh, the lightning was only made in .504

northmn
01-30-2008, 09:22 AM
A lot of "used" muzzleloaders I have seen are good buys. Someone bought one, was given one or whatever, and never really shot it. Some keep going through the modern Inlines about like any other rifle trying to find the one that can't miss or whatever. I just had to pull a breech plug out of an original using a torch to loosen it (if you do this point the barrel in a safe direction as some were loaded. One gunsmith I read about would use a torch to set of any loads that might be in an original). The threads were in excellent condition. When all is said and done, I think for a reproduction such as a TC, if in good condition on the outside can be a safe buy without removing the plug. Use a flexible light(most sell for under $8.00) to look down the bore. If the bore is in good condition you have another tip off of a safe breech. If the bore is in bad condition do you really want it other than a good price for rebarreling?

Northmn

alleyyooper
01-30-2008, 11:04 AM
White Lighting 504 cal SS with scope (bushnell I think) $195.00. I didn't pay a lot of attention because of fear[smilie=1: some one else might see I was intrested.

Also has a Remington 700SS ML 50cal. with rings for $225.00.

skullmount
01-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Did you pull the plug on it ?

IMHO, Thats a good price, if the bore is clean and crisp !

alleyyooper
01-31-2008, 11:04 AM
Nope havn't pulled the plug yet. Still thinking about them being out of bussness and parts if needed.

I wouldn't stand in your way if you had an intrest as I still like the Remington.

boommer
02-12-2008, 10:32 PM
hey guys any of you used a bobber lite or rod tip lite, get them at wal-mart for 3.00$
THEY are a little battery with a lite at the end of the of it ,they pull on and off last a long time. Really lite up the bore! JUST DROP THEM IN AND WAA-LA !!

yarro
02-13-2008, 02:46 AM
Get a drop down bore light and inspect the orifice in the nipple for signs of corrosion.

-Yarro

alleyyooper
02-13-2008, 10:48 AM
You can buff up the head of a small pistol case,drop it down the bore and use a flash lite to take a look.
You can also make a bore lite with a ink pen barrel a LED from Radio Shack, a little bit of wire, and a AAA battery.

My new Remington.

http://usera.imagecave.com/alleyyooper/HUNTINGSHOOTING/47b7ce07b3127ccebec7c3c4f9a100000036100AaN2zdo4auG NA.jpg

I replaced the scope as I didn't care for the feild of view with this one.

Some thing every one with a Remington Ml should have is the bolt tool.
I got this one at Gander Mountian for $10.00

http://usera.imagecave.com/alleyyooper/HUNTINGSHOOTING/sboltcleaningpack.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/alleyyooper/HUNTINGSHOOTING/sboltcleaningpackback2.jpg