PDA

View Full Version : best all around inexpensive brass trimmer and prepping tool?

kenn
08-25-2014, 11:07 PM
I've started reloading 45-70 and my starline brass arrived ready to load at 2.098 to 2.101, but I'm sure it will, after a couple of firings, be at a point where some need light trimming. Basically I'm looking for the best all around inexpensive tool to trim when required and clean up the mouth. I don't really want to get into multi-hundred dollar tools but I also don't want to get into labor-intensive things, either. $50-100... Any advice is most appreciated.

richhodg66
08-26-2014, 12:36 AM
I really like the Lee case length gauges with the cutter and lock stud. Cheap and they work well and you can chuck it into a power drill to save some labor if you have a lot to do.

rpludwig
08-26-2014, 05:58 AM
just got back into some rifle calibers after nothing but pistol for many years...45-70 being one...an older RCBS rotary (hand crank) trimmer always worked fine for me, not a high volume gadget but suits my needs for trimming 50-100 cases from time to time....not "least expensive", about $100 new before rebate these days (RCBS TrimPro), as always the no questions asked RCBS warranty and free resharpening of the cutter if ever needed...

Wayne Smith
08-26-2014, 09:53 AM
Since I've taken to cutting 9mm down to 9Mak and cutting 40S&W down to use in swaging I am addicted to the Lee system with their three jaw chuck in my drill motor. Quick, easy, and inexpensive. You do have to keep the chuck clean, however.

marvelshooter
08-26-2014, 10:48 AM
I just bought a Lyman EZ Trim for about $30. It uses a standard shell holder and can be hand or drill powered. The only thing I would call a possible downside is the case lengths are controlled by a rod which also serves as the pilot for the cutting tool. You could adjust case length a little by extending the pilot out from cutter a little or stoning it a little shorter. It comes with common pilots and others are about $5 each. You also have to deburr the cases separately. I am happy with mine for the money.

gpidaho
08-26-2014, 10:59 AM
I really like the new Lyman EZE-TRIM I bought one for handguns, brought it home and tried it out in a battery powered drill liked it so much went straight back to the store and bought the one for rifles. could just have bought the extra guides for rifle cals. but with shipping it was just as cheap to buy the whole thing and have extra parts. GP

seaboltm
08-26-2014, 12:06 PM
Since I've taken to cutting 9mm down to 9Mak and cutting 40S&W down to use in swaging I am addicted to the Lee system with their three jaw chuck in my drill motor. Quick, easy, and inexpensive. You do have to keep the chuck clean, however.

Exact setup I use. Fast and cheap.

EDG
08-26-2014, 03:08 PM
A good used Forster trimmer is by far the best and most versatile trimmer. If you get an older one it will not work for .45-70 with out a slight modification of the chuck housing. Forster will modify your chuck housing or ship you a new one for about $8 or $9.
But first you need to understand that your chamber is longer than the trim length in the manuals. For cast bullets it is better if your cases are only .001 or .002 shorter than the chamber after sizing. When fired they get shorter and then longer again when resized.

kenn
08-26-2014, 04:26 PM
Thanks all... looking at the options.

Kimber bob
08-26-2014, 04:53 PM
Exact setup I use. Fast and cheap.

same setup for me, with the Lee setup I have had very good success. Also a simple variable speed hand drill can be used if you do not have a drill press. Also the lee trimer they sell that works on the same principle as a lawn mower starter works well, just not as fast as a drill

psweigle
08-26-2014, 05:09 PM
cant go wrong with a lee zip trim. And of course the lee cutter and case lenght guage.

flyingmonkey35
08-26-2014, 05:23 PM
Ive been using the

Lee Deluxe Quick Trim Case Trimmer

$15.29

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/717/717013.jpg

Lee Quick Trim Die

10 bucks per

Works great

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/717013/lee-deluxe-quick-trim-case-trimmer?cm_vc=ProductFinding

oldfart1956
08-26-2014, 10:30 PM
Hard to beat the Lee system from a price standpoint. And I find it to be very accurate and repeatable. Once you buy the case trimmer you just buy a case length gauge specific to each caliber for a couple dollars. I snatch em' up at gun shows for $4 on average. I chuck it up in a corded drill. A couple tips; buy an extra case length gauge in your most used calibers so when you drop it and bend the pin that goes thru the flashole you have a spare. (arrrghh) File and smooth off the sharp edge right where the case fits into the case holder...that hurts after a while. After trimming and before removing the trimmed case snatch up the champhering/de-burring thingy and have at it...then take the case out. Grubby cases get a spin in bronze (or steel) wool while spinning. Cases grubby on the inside? Old cleaning brush of correct size wrapped in steel wool or ChoreBoy and shove it in while spinning. Always resize first. Unless you're not resizing at all which may not be needed or wanted in some circumstances. I start with all the cases (sized) in a plastic tub on my left, another empty tub on my right. Trim etc. drop em' into the right side tub. Repeat as needed. Audie...the Oldfart..

Kevinakaq
08-26-2014, 10:41 PM
I really like the Lee case length gauges with the cutter and lock stud. Cheap and they work well and you can chuck it into a power drill to save some labor if you have a lot to do.

Exactly what he said... Cheap equals around six dollars per caliber. Cutting head less than eight which works for all calibers. Accurate, quick when combined with a drill, dependable. I have plenty of these and a Wilson lathe type. If i am doing benchrest where thousandths on paper matter i use the Wilson just because I spent so much on it and all the holders...all else gets the Lee treatment. Consistency is what really matters and I find the Lee maintains a very tight tolerance. I must admit that I don't see any accuracy improvement using the expensive Wilson when compared to the Lee. Maybe I am just not that good, but if i was i would go on tour!

hope this helps,
kevin

Safeshot
08-30-2014, 01:23 AM
I like the Lee Trimmer and Gage in a drill press. Harbor Freight Drill Press for $55 (with coupon). Many other uses and can be used as a "Drill Press".

Bayou52
08-30-2014, 08:22 AM
I used the Lee case trimmer and it worked fine for a cheap price. Recently, I was given a Forster original case trimmer by a friend. That is one well machined tool - no wiggle, no play, no looseness. Cases are held firmlyy by a collet. Cutter cuts to close tolerances. It's as fast as the Lee if not a bit faster.

I probably wouldn't have bought one of these as I was unaware of how it's such a high quality trimmer that works so quickly. The OP was asking for good, but cheap trimmers. The Lee fits that bill. But if you can get a Forster case trimmer for a good price somewhere, like FleaBay, I'd definitely recommend it.

08-30-2014, 09:06 AM
So many good one out there, but for me it's Lee all the way. Mount the case in the zip trim, uniform the flash hole, cut to length, champher inside and out, and even steel wool it if you are a mind to before doing the next one. "Lawn mower" type pull to spin the tool. No electric to rely on. Can't be simpler. I have the Lyman hand crank, but never use it anymore. The Lyman pilots can wobble, cutting length can slip -- not so with the Zip trim system. I never measure any of my cases anymore. Just run 'em through the zip trim and if they cut they were too long. If not, they were short enough.

Geezer in NH
09-08-2014, 10:03 PM
You get what you pay for IMHO.

I like a trimmer that will inside ream cases and outside turn necks, Trim lengths of all cartridges, Hollow point loaded cartridges. and act as a small lathe for all cartridges.

Load cheap or the best you can load is the question.