PDA

View Full Version : Arisaka

Maineboy
01-29-2008, 09:20 AM
I just bought an Arisaka from my son and I don't know anything about Japanese rifles. I wonder how much collector's value there is. It's pretty dirty but all the parts are there and I think it will clean up well. The mum is ground off, so I suspect that lessens the value. Does anyone other than Norma make brass for it? At over a buck a casing, this is going to be an expensive proposition if I decide to keep, because I'll have to shoot it. I paid what he paid for it, $25.00.

45 2.1
01-29-2008, 10:20 AM
I just bought an Arisaka from my son and I don't know anything about Japanese rifles. I wonder how much collector's value there is. It's pretty dirty but all the parts are there and I think it will clean up well. The mum is ground off, so I suspect that lessens the value. Does anyone other than Norma make brass for it? At over a buck a casing, this is going to be an expensive proposition if I decide to keep, because I'll have to shoot it. I paid what he paid for it, $25.00.

Which Arisaka? The Type 30, 38 or 99. First two are 6.5 Jap, the last is 7.7 Jap. Grafs has cases for both (Prvi partisan origin I think), good stuff. Ground Mum seriously reduces value. A lot of variations with these rifles. Good buy, shoot it and be happy.

Maineboy
01-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Which Arisaka? The Type 30, 38 or 99. First two are 6.5 Jap, the last is 7.7 Jap. Grafs has cases for both (Prvi partisan origin I think), good stuff. Ground Mum seriously reduces value. A lot of variations with these rifles. Good buy, shoot it and be happy.

It's a 7.7.

jonk
01-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Grafs makes the brass. You can also use trimmed 30-06 brass or just resize 8X57 brass; it is a tad short in the neck but works fine otherwise.

I've not had much luck with mine with cast loads.

45 2.1
01-29-2008, 01:50 PM
It's a 7.7.

Most 7.7s respond to AA3100 with PSB filler and the Lyman 314299.

sundog
01-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Maineboy, I have Norma 7.7 brass (got it years ago on sale from Black Hills). I also formed some from '06 which required a bit of neck trimming. The base is a tad small, but I can't tell. I've shot only cast and can not tell a difference. After firing forming I only partial FLS the brass. The biggest draw back to these neat old rifles is the four hundred and eighty-six pound trigger pull. If you can remedy THAT, they shoot pretty good. Oh, and the short stock....

mooman76
01-29-2008, 10:49 PM
You got a good deal at $25 even if it's the end of war ones. That's what mine is. Stock spliced together, solid sights. The only good thing about mine and the fact that is in reasonable shape is it still has the mum. Some rifles had antiaircraft sights and soforth so there is allot of difference between them!

NVcurmudgeon
01-30-2008, 01:52 AM
You got a good deal at $25 even if it's the end of war ones. That's what mine is. Stock spliced together, solid sights. The only good thing about mine and the fact that is in reasonable shape is it still has the mum. Some rifles had antiaircraft sights and soforth so there is allot of difference between them!

mooman, if by "spliced together" you mean that the lower part of the buttstock was grafted onto the upper part, you are quite correct. All Arisakas that I have ever seen are that way so smaller blanks could be used.

Y'all, properly made Arisakas are quite safe, if in good condition, right up to the end of the war. What one must look out for is the drill-purpose "rifles" that have the tangs cast integral with the (also cast) receiver. Those are dangerous to shoot with ANYTHING. Proper Arisakas have tangs that are separate pieces. As always let you favorite smith take a look at it.

MtGun44
01-30-2008, 03:03 AM
Graf or Prvi Partisan brass is good quality, my 7.7 shoots extremely accurately
with factory equivalent handloads and J-bullets. Haven't tried boolits yet, too
many projects as it is. Bore is mint in mine due to being chromed, I assume
that they all were, but don't know for sure.

Arisakas are a very strong action, used to be purposely selected when making
a magnum rifle from a milsurp action. Safety is the stupidest design I have
ever seen, and many don't ever discover that it exists, and even when they
do it is so hard to put on and off that most ignore it. What were they thinking??

Stock sights are very good, and mine shoots 2" left of POA at 100 yds, almost
unheard of in a milsurp where 6-12" high at 100 seems more the norm.

I can look up my best load if you'd like, but you are likely to find one of your
own, I'd guess.

Bill

Maineboy
01-30-2008, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure that I'll keep the rifle, I'll decide after I clean it up. I was talking to a fellow who is looking for an Arisaka and he has some nice guns he might be willing to part with so there may be a trade in the future.

hydraulic
02-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Maineboy: "Cleaning it up" will further detract from it's value. There are collectors but they want rifles is as close to original condition as possible. Dirt and rust are preferable to clean and pretty.