PDA

View Full Version : GRF 20ga. Trade Gun @ 50 yd.: Impressive!

Maven
08-25-2014, 04:50 PM
Several years ago I purchased a Green River Forge 20ga. flintlock trade gun* on one of the auction sites, but haven't really tested it @ 50 yd. using a rest. While it's pretty impressive @ 25 yd., 50 yd. was terra incognita to me. Today I tried to remedy that and got results which were good enough to make me try it again. No, I didn't get m.o.a. accuracy, but I did get 2 touching and 2 more close by (one of those was fired offhand).

Here's what I used: 80gr. FFg (Diamondback), a .600" Lyman RB (~327gr. in "pure" Pb), a .018" pillow tick patch,**
a 1/4" lubed Duro Felt wad, and a corrugated cardboard OP wad. The patches were lubed with 1 H20 : 6 Ballistol, which works very well as there's little/no fouling buildup. Btw, the wads were cut by me with a 5/8" arch punch. The bench rested loads landed several inches lower on the target than the ones fired offhand. As I mentioned above, the results were better than expected and good enough to entice me into trying them a second time.

My practice is to clean at the range if at all possible and today was no exception. What took me by surprise was how little fouling I had in the breach: two 5 min. soaks with Friendship Speed Juice***, a few patches to dry the bore followed by Hoppes #9 and I was done. Tomorrow I'll use a proper bore preservative.

*I think it's a copy of a Barnett design.

**I usually use .014" pillow tick, but .018" works well and didn't require much more effort to start and ram home. Moreover, .018" works well in a number of guns I own, whereas .014" is used only in the trade gun.

***equal parts of Murphy's Oil Soap, 70% or 90% Isopropyl Alcohol, and household strength H202. Don't leave it in the bore for more than 10 mins. though. Dry the bore and use your favorite preservative afterward.

waksupi
08-25-2014, 08:43 PM
Impossible! Everyone knows those smooth bores won't shoot that well!

HARRYMPOPE
08-25-2014, 09:03 PM
I had a 62 caliber smooth rifle cap lock.occasionally I could get 2"at 50 yards but not often as I heard it was possible.

George

Maven
08-26-2014, 08:54 AM
I'll be the first to admit that 2 touching shots and 2 others nearby (@ 50 yd.) is statistically meaningless (Joe Brennan would loudly agree!), but it has indeed increased my faith in the gun's reliability. I read somewhere that champion smoothbore shooters, among other things, use a very tight patch - ball combination. While I don't want to hammer the ball down the bore, a .022" patch may be the next thing I try.

Btw, the gun had an absolute genius for hang fires. Changing the vent liner to a Chambers' coned vent didn't really improve things until I coned the outside of the vent and inadvertently opened the touch hole itself. Is it perfect? No, but much less likely to hesitate with the larger dia. hole and external cone.

HARRYMPOPE
08-26-2014, 09:19 AM
I wish I never sold mine.i used denim for a patch but also bare balled with wads with reasonable 25 yard accuracy.

waksupi
08-26-2014, 11:17 AM
I'll be the first to admit that 2 touching shots and 2 others nearby (@ 50 yd.) is statistically meaningless (Joe Brennan would loudly agree!), but it has indeed increased my faith in the gun's reliability. I read somewhere that champion smoothbore shooters, among other things, use a very tight patch - ball combination. While I don't want to hammer the ball down the bore, a .022" patch may be the next thing I try.

Btw, the gun had an absolute genius for hang fires. Changing the vent liner to a Chambers' coned vent didn't really improve things until I coned the outside of the vent and inadvertently opened the touch hole itself. Is it perfect? No, but much less likely to hesitate with the larger dia. hole and external cone.

That sounds like a fouled breech, and too much prime. Got a breech scraper? It's amazing how fast cement can build up down there.

Maven
08-26-2014, 03:20 PM
Ric, After you told me about this years ago (when the gun had its original vent liner), I started using less prime. I've been using ~1/2 panful since then. Fouled breach? Not really as hang fires sometimes occurred on the first shot. Upon cleaning the gun after firing yesterday, I detected very little fouling there: it wasn't pristine, but no chunks of burnt powder residue either. Btw, I fired the Isaac Haines yesterday as well, treating it the same as the trade gun with no issues at all, and spectacular accuracy using, get this! a .535" ball + .018" patch and 80 gr. DB FFg.

George, Denim is an excellent choice for patching since it comes in so many weights (thicknesses), which work in my guns. Our local Jo Ann Fabrics carries quite a selection of it, which is good since their pillow ticking lately has been a bit thinner than I'd prefer.

Hanshi
08-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Sounds about right to me; smoothbores are no one's second fiddle.

waksupi
08-26-2014, 08:41 PM
Try cutting back on priming even more. I use MAYBE a third of a pan. Probably closer to 1/4.
Glad to hear the rifle is performing for you!