PDA

View Full Version : I need some one to help me with a Ballisti-cast sizer

GARD72977
08-25-2014, 02:03 PM
I am ashamed to say that I cannot seem to run my ballisti-cast sizer. Would some one be kind enough to help me out

Thanks Larry

2ridgebacks
08-25-2014, 02:06 PM
Can you be more specific?

GARD72977
08-25-2014, 08:30 PM
Im having trouble getting the lube in the lube grove. I end up with lube on the nose of the bullet. I want to have a better understanding of the lube pump and how to adjust it.

I have had the die out and measured the bullet in the die to line up with the holes in the sizer die. Just cant get it to work.

6bg6ga
08-25-2014, 08:51 PM
I would suggest the following.... Take and size a bullet and then clean it up to remove the lube. Remove the sizing die from the machine and put the sized bullet into the die and push slowly after having stuck a needle into one of the lube holes. Push the bullet slowly down into the die until the needle slips into the lube groove and then stop. Without removing the bullet install the die back into the machine. With the ram all the way up and the punch screwed in all the way slowly lower the ram to the lowest level and slowly screw the punch down until it just contacts the bullet base and tighten up the punch nut.

GARD72977
08-25-2014, 09:04 PM
I would suggest the following.... Take and size a bullet and then clean it up to remove the lube. Remove the sizing die from the machine and put the sized bullet into the die and push slowly after having stuck a needle into one of the lube holes. Push the bullet slowly down into the die until the needle slips into the lube groove and then stop. Without removing the bullet install the die back into the machine. With the ram all the way up and the punch screwed in all the way slowly lower the ram to the lowest level and slowly screw the punch down until it just contacts the bullet base and tighten up the punch nut.

Thanks for the information. I will do that.

Can you tell me about adjusting the lube pump?

6bg6ga
08-26-2014, 06:05 AM
Unless your sizing some big bullets with multiple lube grooves the setting the sizer has when it left the factory is more than adequate. There is a screw that can be turned in and this will allow more pressure.

6bg6ga
08-26-2014, 06:18 AM
Some Mark VI's had bad pumps from the factory. Was this part of the group buy or a recent buy?

Moonie
08-26-2014, 04:25 PM
Some Mark VI's had bad pumps from the factory. Was this part of the group buy or a recent buy?

I am more and more happy I missed out on that group buy...

GARD72977
08-26-2014, 09:05 PM
Its a recent buy. Just wondering if the pump adjustment has anything to do with the timing of the lube. I guess im asking does it come out before the end of the sizing stroke?

6bg6ga
08-27-2014, 06:25 AM
Its a recent buy. Just wondering if the pump adjustment has anything to do with the timing of the lube. I guess im asking does it come out before the end of the sizing stroke?

Simple operation... You move the handle and the pump is moved. If you haven't changed the adjustment it should work and your problem is either not having enough temp or not enough pressure. I can assure you the timing is correct because the model hasn't changed other than some suggestions I made to them about having a ball detent for the rotary wheel. If memory is correct and you are sure you have the bullet positioned as I have told you in a prior post simply loosten the nut and screw in the plunger so that you get a slightly longer movement of the pump.

2ridgebacks
08-27-2014, 09:17 PM
What lube? We are using the BC blue and I believe we are at about 109 degrees and just under max pressure on air cylinder.

GARD72977
08-28-2014, 09:07 PM
it still has the blue/green lube that came in it. I have been working so many hours that I have not had time to mess with it. Plan get it working sunday.

6bg6ga
08-28-2014, 09:47 PM
What lube? We are using the BC blue and I believe we are at about 109 degrees and just under max pressure on air cylinder.

What is max pressure on the cylinder? Most cylinders for these applications are rated for 250psi.

2ridgebacks
08-29-2014, 11:34 AM
I'm thinking 60psi. I could be wrong though. It's probably max for the lube system and not the cylinder. The sizer isn't in my shop or I would go look.

6bg6ga
08-29-2014, 12:44 PM
I'm thinking 60psi. I could be wrong though. It's probably max for the lube system and not the cylinder. The sizer isn't in my shop or I would go look.

You can exceed that without a problem.

2ridgebacks
08-30-2014, 10:53 AM
I'm curious myself. What are indications of too much/little pressure and too much/little heat? We got lucky when we set ours up. We went to max pressure and then started raising the lube temp until the grooves filled out. We are getting a little excess lib on the bullets though.