PDA

View Full Version : Mold collecting and complete sets of manufactures molds

xacex
08-25-2014, 01:59 AM
It crossed my mind that there are mold collectors out there myself included, but I wondered if any of you have gone so far as collecting a complete set of mold manufactured by a particular manufacture. I imagine Lee Precision molds could be easy to collect, but I do not like the new ones as much as the old ones. The mold blocks on the new ones are ok, but the reversed threads is kind of confusing. If I were to start collecting a whole set of factory production, and specialty molds such as the famed Bator would you exclude the new mold design because of the changes? I imagine the Accurate molds would be impossible to collect due to the fact they will produce anything, but what about other manufactures. Who collects what? RCBS, Lee, Saeco, custom mold manufactures such as Mihec, Accurate,NOE ect. what is the most comprehensive collection of a single manufacture anyone here has collected?

WILCO
08-25-2014, 03:01 AM
I don't collect molds, but I do take them in from time to time. Seems like the LEE brand has a natural instinct to migrate here. [smilie=s:

tazman
08-25-2014, 05:02 AM
Lee molds might be harder to collect than you think unless you restrict yourself to current production. There are quite a number of out of production molds that are rarely seen.
I have a couple of them.

GoodOlBoy
08-25-2014, 05:23 AM
My answer is yes and no. Since starting on this board around two months ago (been lurking for years) I have gone from 2 total molds, to a pile of traded for and purchased molds that I now keep a excel spreadsheet on so I stop duplicating and triplicating molds. But I am only REALLY collecting for a few calibers within a few brands. I love Lee molds, I know some hate them, I am not one of them I love them. If you hate them and have spares you want gone pm me I will be happy to pay shipping for lee molds. Anyway back to the point. I am two molds shy of having every current production 45-70 lee mold, and one mold shy (that I know of) of out of production lee 45-70 molds. Whoops, correct that just thought of a second, so make that two shy of out of prod lee 45-70 molds. Plus I have a customized mold or two of the same. 45 long colt I am collecting molds, but there are quite a few I have passed on simply because I don't care for or use the weight or style of bullet. Same with 30 caliber (30-30 winchester) molds.

In general I wouldn't say I am collecting all x brand or y caliber molds. But I am collecting ALOT of them. Anything and everything I can use; or a neighbor, family member, or friend mite ever need a boolit dropped from. And if the price is right I try to pickup molds in lots to have part of for trades down the road, and part of for my own use. I have even given away a couple of the duplicate and triplicate molds I wound up with. Yes I know I could have traded or sold them, but the person or persons needed them, they went to a good home, and they didn't break me because I typically don't go in for expensive molds when a less expensive mold will give me as good as or better a boolit. Some I pickup JUST to play with. Heck some just catch my eye.

I will say this about collecting molds. If have a choice between a single cavity mold and any other number I will go for the single cavity mold EVERY time. Speed isn't my concern, consistency is, and if there is only one cavity what's the chance that each boolit of a specific alloy will be close to a perfect match for the last one and the next one? Close enough to meet my needs.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer when it comes to hoarding.... I mean collecting molds... I think it is personal preference, and while I may not usually go in for the high dollar molds, I never get tired of seeing them. :D I even like old junker molds. There is something about saving that old used and abused mold and letting it cast just a few more that just appeals to me.

GoodOlBoy

FISH4BUGS
08-25-2014, 09:27 AM
I collect Hensley & Gibbs moulds. I also USE them. I have bought H&G moulds in calibers and designs for which I don't even own guns. If they are pristine and not outrageously expensive, I'll pick them up. I have a few duplicates that will probably be traded some day.
I have also paid stupid money for Hensley & Gibbs moulds. A #51 dual cavity dual hollow point (factory done) I paid way too much for. According to TexasFlyBoy it is the only second one he has seen.....and he has the other one. His is a Cramer conversion, mine is factory
So yes, I collect moulds. I also have some Lyman, RCBS and Lees. I use almost all of them. I go through them about once a year and lube them, inspect them, and figure out what to do with them. Trade? Sell? Put back?
That's the fun of it all...........

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-25-2014, 09:43 AM
You mention the Lee Bator...

I have (5) Lee Bator 2 cav molds, the first three I bought at different times and were obviously from different batches as each one of those three drops different boolits.
I imagine a true collector would have one of each variation.

btw, the most recent production dropped a boolit about as near to the original specs as possible, and fits two of my 22CF guns really well, so I ordered two more ...Just cuz ! I did test cast with those last two...and was very happy.

Bullshop
08-25-2014, 11:05 AM
Lee collecting:-D I have a few no longer available ones. How about a 44 WC, or a 41 240 swc or maybe a 457/405 HP.
Oh OH I know how about the Lee Bator boolit but this one is 358/280.
Sorry some times I cant help myself!:mrgreen:

Green Frog
08-25-2014, 01:19 PM
I don't collect moulds, but I do accumulate them. This is based on seeing a mould that looks like it would be a good one in a gun that I shoot or am planning to get and shoot. Sometimes they don't work out quite as I had expected, but I usually end up keeping them nonetheless. Since I regularly shoot several calibers and frequently have 3-4 or more moulds for each caliber I shoot, the accumulation... accumulates!! :mrgreen:

Froggie

alamogunr
08-25-2014, 01:33 PM
I don't collect moulds, but I do accumulate them. This is based on seeing a mould that looks like it would be a good one in a gun that I shoot or am planning to get and shoot. Sometimes they don't work out quite as I had expected, but I usually end up keeping them nonetheless. Since I regularly shoot several calibers and frequently have 3-4 or more moulds for each caliber I shoot, the accumulation... accumulates!! :mrgreen:

Froggie

+1 I now have over 100 molds. I get in on a lot of GB's. Usually, a GB for a rifle mold will allow me to get a 2 cavity. I'm not comfortable with more than that. I don't shoot rifles in the quantities that many apparently do.

bedbugbilly
08-25-2014, 02:36 PM
I'm pretty much like Green Frog. I love 38 Spl. so most of mine are for that. I have cast for 50 years and had a few round ball molds when I was strictly shooting BP. I had maybe a half dozen or so. Since I've been reloading though, I have found that I have "accumulated" upwards of twenty five or so molds - many of them Lyman/Ideal. If I see a bullet design I think might be fun - I try and get it. If it doesn't work out - I trade or sell it. As far as "collecting" - I would imagine that could be fun but the last thing I need is another "hobby". I'm getting older and I have to think about such things as "what will my wife do with them if I'm gone?". She'll have enough problem with the things I do have! LOL

dromia
08-26-2014, 04:42 AM
I have over 200 moulds from a variety of manufacturers including out of production moulds and makers. Does that constitute a collection?

All these moulds have been bought for guns and calibres that I am or have been shooting so they have been bought for use not for the sake of the mould per se.

I tend to keep moulds as will be working with maybe a dozen different guns a year so it is good to hav moulds on hand that will drop boolits suitable for the gun rather than having to go mould hunting when I get a gun.

Make of that what you will.

sav300
08-26-2014, 08:05 AM
Have a few NOE molds,I like to get the odd mold now and then.Have one B&M in 30cal and a three Hochs.
Also Lee and CBE`s.One .22 hornet mold by W Harrison,Deceased Aussie gunsmith

Artful
08-26-2014, 08:57 AM
I think many of us have collections / accumulations but doubt many of us actually actively seek one of every mold produced by a maker.
Just look at lee group buy molds - just a collection of those would be really tough to do.

GLL
08-27-2014, 12:12 AM
Before craftsmen such as NOE, BRP, MP, and Accurate Molds came along we ran a number of 6-cavity LEE custom design Group Buys.
Some were machined very nicely and a few were absolute trash. I over indulged a bit but am now happy to have them. Many thousands of bullets have dropped out of these molds. Some of the 45 2.1 designs are now classics. Many of the original designs have been reproduced by the above custom makers as beautifully machined works of art. I have a bunch of those as well ! TOO MANY ! I still cast with the old LEEs quite often though ! :)

I still have a headache from honchoing six of the Group Buys with LEE !

http://www.fototime.com/1D439CEFB658D4D/medium800.jpg

Jerry

Catshooter
08-27-2014, 02:48 AM
Jerry,

I still have that same headache as I honchoed over a dozen. And I remember you "over indulging"! :)

Cat

texassako
08-27-2014, 09:17 AM
I accumulate as well, mostly to use in my favorite calibers. If I was collecting, I would be looking for clean and complete with original box molds. I try to resist the urge of everything that looks interesting or is a good deal. You could go broke just trying to collect a single caliber. I love my .25 caliber rifles, but those molds sure go for a lot. Several .25 cal. single cavities went for $100 each recently on fleabay, and most did not even show a pic of the cavity.

TXGunNut
08-27-2014, 10:28 PM
I don't collect moulds, I stockpile handle sets for the ones that seem to wander in on a regular basis. ;-) I have no interest in collecting moulds I have no use for, I spend enough on moulds just buying the ones I have a "need" for.

Artful
08-28-2014, 12:51 PM
http://www.fototime.com/1D439CEFB658D4D/medium800.jpg

Jerry

Color me Green - there's some there I missed - Nice Collection/Accumulation there.

Which one's do you consider junk?

knobster
08-28-2014, 12:56 PM
Wow some of you guys have lots of molds! I thought I was doing pretty well with a dozen but yikes... I have 2 Lyman molds and ten Lee molds. Pros and cons for each.

alamogunr
08-28-2014, 01:07 PM
Yeah! But if you are using all of your on a regular basis, you are doing better than me. I have a few I've never used. I don't have as many of the Lee 6 cavity molds as Jerry, but only a couple of them do not cast good boolits.

Bent Ramrod
08-28-2014, 04:13 PM
I buy moulds for five reasons:

1. It's a different design in a caliber I have and I want to see how it works

2. It's in a caliber I may want to try some day

3. It's design is cool, bizarre, historical or pathetic, or made by an interesting company or somebody famous, or whatever

4. It was cheap and I needed a souvenir from the Gun Show

5. It's a mould I already have but I forgot I had one

I have a fair number of moulds obtained on this basis, but I am by no means even close to having a copy of every mould design produced by even one company. I would be willing to believe that somebody is trying to do so, given the prices some of these moulds fetch on E-Bay.