PDA

View Full Version : 1952's Marlin Primers

sgraham3
08-24-2014, 09:30 PM
I recently picked up a 1950s marlin in 35 rem. I have been using Winchester primers in my other reloads(bolt) and have had no problems at all. I loaded a few rounds for the 35 and 4 out 5 would not fire. Ok bad primers or the firing pin issue. My neighbor has a marlin 35 so i tried a couple in his gun and same results. After dropping the hammer a couple times the all went off. Has anyone had this issue?

dualsport
08-24-2014, 09:40 PM
Try some other ammo before you call it. Also check out the Marlin Owner's forum.

C. Latch
08-24-2014, 09:46 PM
I have a 70's vintage 30-30 that has shown some misfires with certain ammo, yet ran 100% with other ammo (different brand of case) that was all resized and primed at the same time. I cleaned the FP channel out but it didn't seem to help.

Scary thing is, my misfires were with Tula primers, and I bought some winchesters to try instead. Your experience makes me think that may not fix the problem.

ratboy
08-24-2014, 09:56 PM
have you checked to make sure the main spring hasnt been "tuned"

TXGunNut
08-24-2014, 10:20 PM
have you checked to make sure the main spring hasnt been "tuned"

Or maybe just tired.

RickinTN
08-24-2014, 10:20 PM
One of two issues. The main spring is a little weak. There are adjustment notches on the lower tang and make sure the plate which the rod runs through is in the front notch. If it is a spring issue and it is in the front notch you will need to replace the spring. Since they mis-fired in another gun it is probably problem number two: The cases were sized too much and the striker (firing pin) is not reaching the primers as they should. If you sized the cases with your shellholder in solid contact with the base if the sizing die this is your problem. Most rifles don't require all the sizing the dies will produce, and if you go beyond what is necessary you are increasing headspace. I suspect this to be your problem.
Rick

sgraham3
08-25-2014, 09:00 AM
I have tried factory ammo and all of it has fired. Some old Federal and some Remingtion. I defiantly resized all the way to the shell holder. How much should I leave it off the shell holder and will this cause issues with feeding and the tube mag.

smkummer
08-25-2014, 09:34 AM
Primers have to at least be flush if not slightly under flush. I am guessing that you already check that though. I agree that if the ammo was fired in your gun prior, I back out the sizing die so the shoulder does not get resized and the cases are worked much less. The ammo is then closer dimensioned for your chamber but not for another 35 Rem..

RickinTN
08-25-2014, 09:53 AM
About 1/4 turn off of the shellholder should do it. This will be about .018" and should keep from bumping the shoulder back.
Good luck,
Rick

sgraham3
08-25-2014, 10:51 AM
Thanks guys. That makes sense. I will give it a try.

dualsport
08-25-2014, 12:25 PM
By the way, congratulations on your new baby. I have a 336 .35 Rem. and just love it. I use the Lee Collet Die and Factory Crimp Die. Work great for me using mostly Ranch Dog 190's gas checked and plain base both at around .360. Great accuracy.

sgraham3
08-25-2014, 04:07 PM
Thanks. I am currently researching molds but would like to try some boolits first, if i can get my hands on some. I picked up a set of lyman dies at a show and they crimp it nicely. My have to check into the lee collet if the above recommendation works out.

Wayne Smith
08-27-2014, 10:58 AM
I have a 70's vintage 30-30 that has shown some misfires with certain ammo, yet ran 100% with other ammo (different brand of case) that was all resized and primed at the same time. I cleaned the FP channel out but it didn't seem to help.

Scary thing is, my misfires were with Tula primers, and I bought some winchesters to try instead. Your experience makes me think that may not fix the problem.

Russian primers are made different than American. They fully seat the anvil rather than leaving it proud as we do. When you seat an American primer you are also seating the anvil. You have to be careful with the Russian primers that they are fully seated or your firing pin will seat them for you.

beagle
09-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Sounds to me like you have set the shoulder back too far during case sizing. In the .35 Rem, this is really easy as it don't have a big shoulder to start with. If this is the problem, pull the bullets and seat new bullets until they just engage the rifling. This will force the primer back against the bolt and they should fire form and after properly adjusting your sizing die, drive on.

Or..... as has been posted....check firing pin protrusion and inspect firing pin. Marlin firing pins do break and still function......sometimes.

Or, is it possible that you got Large pistol primers mixed with the Larger rifle. This will sometimes cause that due to dimensional differences.

I'm betting on the shoulder thing./beagle