PDA

View Full Version : Choosing an Accurate 44 mold

waco
08-24-2014, 06:08 PM
I was searching around on the Accurate website looking at 44 molds. These would be ran through my SBH and a Smith 29. Possibly a Marlin 1894(If they fit)

The ones that caught my eye were the 43-280V and the 43-315H

I was wondering if anyone has any first hand knowledge of these molds?

I hear nothing but great reviews of Tom's molds.

Any input is appreciated.

Waco:castmine:

RobS
08-24-2014, 06:24 PM
Nose on the 280V (.360) is probably cutting it close for a Marlin lever action and a Smith and then the 315H with a .430" nose length will be reserved for your Ruger SBH.

waco
08-24-2014, 06:26 PM
Nose on the 280V (.360) is probably cutting it close for a Marlin lever action and a Smith and then the 315H with a .430" nose length will be reserved for your Ruger SBH.

Thanks Rob. Any advice on a mold that would serve all three firearms well?
Waco

RobS
08-24-2014, 06:30 PM
NOE has some great combo revolver/lever action molds: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=37&osCsid=0nsn2h3g6uuu8mpucv8d8ih556
The 265 RF is a good one and 310 RF would be excellent due to the double crimp groove so you could load it to a longer COAL or a shorter one as your firearms need.

Deep Six
08-24-2014, 06:31 PM
280 and 315 sound heavy for the model 29. It's your gun but the consensus is that the smiths don't take a steady diet of heavies all that great. I don't have a marlin, but 240 is as much as I care for in my Rossi 92 due to recoil and the fact that noses longer than about .38 don't feed very well.

I have the Accurate 43-250K and it shoots good in my Redhawk, 629, and 44 spl flattop. Nose is a little long for the Rossi. The 43-240A looks like an excellent levergun bullet and I bet revolvers would like it too. I've actually been thinking about ordering it for my Rossi. I also have the 43-320B which is perfect from the Redhawk over a stout load of H110, delivering superb accuracy at 50 yards. The only other gun I tried it in was the Rossi but that was rather unpleasant.

Keep in mind Tom can put multiple designs in one mold. So you could get a 5 cavity with some sort of 240-250 in 3 cavities for the Smith and Marlin and then get a 300+ for the SRH in the other 2 cavities.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-24-2014, 07:04 PM
i know you were asking about Accurate molds but if your still shopping. look at MP 434-640 its a 250gr hollow point or a 270gr solid
shoots well in my 1894 sized at .432 and my SBH sized at .430

DrCaveman
08-24-2014, 09:59 PM
Hey Waco

Good timing, i have been brewing up a boolit design to submit to Tom for use in my SBH. I just need to do some volume and weight math, and i'll put it up for review. I am hoping that it'll be a winner, usable in a bunch of different guns. It's panning out to be somewhere between a WFN and LFN, LBT style. Plain base all the way for this one

My boolit profile is a lot like those two, but weight is probably closer to 270. I hope it's cool that i post the drawing in this thread, since it is either going to Tom @ accurate, or going nowhere!

However it pans out, im interested in your results

Happy birthday! August is a good month to be born, eh? Im in the club too

waco
08-24-2014, 10:26 PM
Hey Waco

Good timing, i have been brewing up a boolit design to submit to Tom for use in my SBH. I just need to do some volume and weight math, and i'll put it up for review. I am hoping that it'll be a winner, usable in a bunch of different guns. It's panning out to be somewhere between a WFN and LFN, LBT style. Plain base all the way for this one

My boolit profile is a lot like those two, but weight is probably closer to 270. I hope it's cool that i post the drawing in this thread, since it is either going to Tom @ accurate, or going nowhere!

However it pans out, im interested in your results

Happy birthday! August is a good month to be born, eh? Im in the club too

Nice! I'm waiting to see it!!!

DrCaveman
08-24-2014, 10:37 PM
here it is

May need a little tweaking, but Im liking it so far. Nose length aught to fit most guns, and there is a nice healthy crimp groove. Weight looks to be around 280 grains based on 2580 grains/cubic inch and .1084 cubic inch volume. Not too sure about the right density for various alloys, but I should be in the ballpark. Oh, forgot to include the dimension for the meplat, it's .34" as drawn. That would put it about 78% of boolit diameter. Overall full diameter driving band length is .28" which equals 35% of overall boolit length. Not sure, but that may be a bit shorter than ideal.

I was trying to do something like Ranch Dog and something like LBT. I'd much appreciate input from any experts on here, since I have done a bit of backroom mold designs but never yet submitted or shot one of them yet. Every time I try this, my boolit weights get out of control by the time i include all the features I am hoping for! This design here is rather slimmed down compared to some I have dreamt up!

RobS
08-24-2014, 11:41 PM
here it is

May need a little tweaking, but Im liking it so far. Nose length aught to fit most guns, and there is a nice healthy crimp groove. Weight looks to be around 280 grains based on 2580 grains/cubic inch and .1084 cubic inch volume. Not too sure about the right density for various alloys, but I should be in the ballpark. Oh, forgot to include the dimension for the meplat, it's .34" as drawn. That would put it about 78% of boolit diameter. Overall full diameter driving band length is .28" which equals 35% of overall boolit length. Not sure, but that may be a bit shorter than ideal.

I was trying to do something like Ranch Dog and something like LBT. I'd much appreciate input from any experts on here, since I have done a bit of backroom mold designs but never yet submitted or shot one of them yet. Every time I try this, my boolit weights get out of control by the time i include all the features I am hoping for! This design here is rather slimmed down compared to some I have dreamt up!

I do like the looks of your design, especially if intended for revolver only. Looks more along the lines of a WFN and I think you are going to be looking closer to 300 grains from WW alloy when said and done.

Hardcast416taylor
08-25-2014, 02:55 PM
A diet of heavy weight 300+ gr. boolets (or "J" bullets) and high vel. thru a S&W model 29 will cause problems down the road. Find a decent boolet weighing no heavier than 265 gr. and the pistol will thank you for it.Robert