PDA

View Full Version : Read your notes

TXGunNut
08-23-2014, 11:53 PM
This is a huge "OOPS" moment for me. I often counsel newbies to take notes. I do. Tonite I was recording the "Casting Notes" of the latest batch of a boolit. I happened to read the notes from the previous batch. They weren't the alloy I thought they were. I knew they weren't performing like a previous batch, now I know why. Second clue was a different boolit weight.
Hard lesson; taking notes is important. Reading them is crucial.

MrWolf
08-24-2014, 09:22 AM
Yea, it is even worse when you forget to write it down in the first place. Had a great method down pat for cleaning my brass and forgot to write it down figuring it was easy to remember. Funny how quick I forget things now.

williamwaco
08-24-2014, 09:27 AM
It is unbelievable how fast you can forget.

I can take three loads to the range, fire them, bring the targets home and already can't remember which load was which target.

Doesn't happen every time but happens often enough that I write on the targets immediately after firing the group.

TXGunNut
08-24-2014, 09:39 AM

I can take three loads to the range, fire them, bring the targets home and already canpt remember which load was which target.

Doesn't happen every time but happens often enough that I write on the targets immediately after firing the group.

I assign load numbers to help with that, my load note book lists them and I use them to make note taking easier. For example my 35 Whelen load #8 is the RD 359-190 boolit loaded over 52grs H4895. #8A is the same load with 52.5grs of H4895. I write the load # on the loaded round with a Sharpie soon after loading, when I get to the range I write the load numbers on the target with the date. Goodness knows I'd never remember all that or keep up with a slip of paper tucked into an ammo box.

pmer
08-24-2014, 09:48 AM
I even have a note book for the farm. For repairs and maintenance on the buildings, house and equipment. It came to be from using my load book.

Love Life
08-24-2014, 09:55 AM
I write the load data on the targets before I go to the range. Upon coming home, the targets are put in their appropriate notebook along with the index card I use for each load to put notes on. I have a bunch of data for a bunch of calibers and bullet weights/powder combos.

Lance Boyle
08-24-2014, 11:29 AM

I can take three loads to the range, fire them, bring the targets home and already canpt remember which load was which target.

I have to do that, been a touch confused a time or two.

StratsMan
08-24-2014, 12:25 PM

I can take three loads to the range, fire them, bring the targets home and already can't remember which load was which target.

If it only happens "often enough" for you, then you're way ahead of me... I write the load on the brass, shoot the target, then write the load/date/distance/gun on the target IMMEDIATELY. Otherwise, I guarantee that I will forget....

nagantguy
08-24-2014, 01:59 PM
Just went searching for a solution to a die problem I'd thought I'd fixed encountered or heard of before, and lo and behold in a small envelope in my .44 loading journal paper clipped to page 8 and 9,was a small rubber washer and a post it note that told me how I did it last time. If I'd gone to my notes first a trip to the hardware store and several hours could have been saved. Read the notes; what a great idea!!!!

1Shirt
08-24-2014, 05:25 PM
The older I get the more important it is to write it down, and date it. I do that on targets with load data including blt, ctg mfg, size, lube, primer mfg, OAL, and date.
I file the targets in date sequence. I just went back a couple of days for a load I shot in my then new #1 Ruger 45-70 when I was in Alaska, over 30 years ago.
For me, if it isn't in writing it can't be verified.
1Shirt!