PDA

View Full Version : .351 Winchester Self Loading

richhodg66
08-22-2014, 11:05 PM
So, among other things I'm messing with right now is a 1907 Winchester my brother gave me to play with and trade notes on since he has another one (he's not the reloading geek I am but he's getting there).

Anyway, mine had already been drilled and tapped and had a Weaver mount, so I stuck an ald K4 on it and went to work. I had won an auction on Ebay a while back for a single cavity 350293, which is plain based and designed for the predecessor to the .351, the .35 WSL. It drops at 181 grains and about .3515 with the alloy I cast. I put some plain based gas checks on them and smeared LLA on the sides after running them through a sizer Buckshot made for me. Load was 17.1 grains of 2400, which is two throws from my Little Dandy #10 rotor.

This load seemed kinda hot. It didn't seem hot in some already fired brass I used the load in before to just try a few before I got some brass of my own. The last brass I used, I ran through a .357 Magnum sizer, but these seem sized smaller as new. I wouldn't have thought new verses sized brass would have made that much difference in case capacity.

Anyway, once zeroed, I shot a ten shot group at 100 yards and with the exception of two really weird flyers, the rest went into about a four inch group. I plan on hunting a day or two with this rifle when I can fit it between Savage 99s I want to hunt with this year. For the way I hunt deer, 100 yards is about twice the distance I expect to shoot one at. I hunt from tree stands if I can possible do so and usually kill at least two a year at woods ranges. I may reduce that load down some, but it's on the low end of the spectrum according to my old Lyman manual for a similar bullet.

Anyone else hunted deer with cast in the .351? I have shot three now with .30 caliber bullets of similar weights and alloys and this bullet also has a flat meplat, so I'm guessing this will work fine. These are fun rifles, and not much trouble to load for once you get the undersized bullet figured out. Kinda hard on brass though. I had two this evening I may not be able to save, chewed up the case mouths something fierce.

runfiverun
08-22-2014, 11:58 PM
it's similar to the 357 mag in stature and should give similar results.
I have one here [for about 2 years now] but haven't had time to muck with it yet.
I'm hoping my 357 180gr silhouette type mold will size down enough to work in the rifle, if not I guess another mold and such is in my future [darn it :lol:]
I think I have most of a box of original rounds for the rifle kicking about somewhere and a few pieces of brass and such [including a die set] waiting.
I hear the rifles have a bit of a weird recoil to them, but generally shoot pretty well.

richhodg66
08-23-2014, 12:18 AM
It's no tack driver, but certainly minute-of-Bambi. I never take long shots, I kind of hunt like a bowhunter.

These are neat rifles and has a lot more juice than I think I can get from a .357, handgun anyway.

Let me know how the RCBS silhouette bullet works. I don't have the mold, but have some I got from an estate sale a while back. If it works out, I may try it.

Lyman made a mold for the .348 Winchester that came out to about 180 grains, a shop in another town used to have one on sale and I bet it's still there. I need to make a trip back over there soon.

richhodg66
08-23-2014, 12:20 AM
By the way, between an old set of .357 dies, a set of .38 Super dies and a #19 shell holder, I've been reloading for this fine so far. Proper dies for this are very pricey.

runfiverun
08-23-2014, 11:09 AM
I haven't looked at the die prices I just have a set kicking about here.
I know they are made by rcbs, hornady, and probably lee.
since you have the means to load the cases with what you have I certainly wouldn't go buy one.
which reminds me I gotta see if I have a shell holder..
this 351 project is just down my list of things to work on quite a ways...