PDA

View Full Version : The wait is over!

Jevyod
08-22-2014, 10:06 AM
Finally, finally, I received a call saying my Marlin 1895 SBL in 45/70 has arrived! I ordered it back in April. I cant wait to get this little puppy shooting! It will need a bit of work though. The action needs some smoothing, and pulling the trigger is like lifting weights! Is there a good tutorial on how to smooth the action /lighten the trigger? I am not sure I have the expertise to do it myself. I might end up sending it somewhere to get the work done. Unless somebody can recommend a quality gunsmith in Pa who would do it for me!

Bullshop
08-22-2014, 11:20 AM
What is the SBL ?
As for smoothing it up just shoot it, A WHOLE BUNCH!!!
My 1895 is a first year production pre micro groove with the B00 prefix. It is so slick now that I often open the action to check to see if it fed a round into the chamber. I am always amazed to find that it indeed has fed but I just couldn't feel it because it was so smooth.
The point is that this gun when new was just like yours, a bit stiff. The only work done to it was to shoot shoot shoot it. This gun that I often refer to as Boo and I have made many memories together and a couple of the memories were quite hair raising indeed.

osteodoc08
08-22-2014, 11:51 AM
SBL= Stainless Big Loop

You can look at the WWG Happy Trigger. Otherwise, clean it and go shoot it.

Jevyod
08-22-2014, 11:53 AM
The SBL has a gray laminate stock with a 18 and 1/2 inch stainless barrel. It has the full length magazine tube and the larger lever loop. According to Marlin, it was designed for north country. It is a sweet gun!

Djones
08-23-2014, 08:03 AM
Action tuning and overall smoothing instructions

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/polishing-tuning-your-levergun/44524-polishing-336-action-ka-basic-action-job-how.html

TXGunNut
08-23-2014, 09:51 AM
Congrats on finally getting your rifle. I've had very few rifles that weren't acceptable after a good cleaning and a proper oiling, on one certain Marlin the WWG trigger helped a bit.

lovedogs
08-24-2014, 07:40 PM
Brownell's has all kinds of spring kits for Marlins. A lighter hammer spring will make a difference along with a little smoothing of rough spots. You don't want to remove any metal, just a little smoothing and polishing goes a long ways. And others are correct, shooting and just cycling it will smooth a Marlin pretty quick...as will good oil and a little grease here and there.

dubber123
08-24-2014, 09:17 PM
I wish I was headed back through Pa any time soon, I'd stop by and tune your trigger. They aren't that hard to work on, and a crisp 2.5# trigger is easy without resorting to spongy, soft springs. I had a long how to post on here called "Fixing Marlin triggers", but I think all the pics have been deleted, it's been a while.

lovedogs
08-25-2014, 07:39 AM
Take note...besides suggesting using some of Brownell's spring kits I suggested smoothing rough spots. When rough spots are smoothed and things lubed like they should be I've not experienced any spongy-ness. I think it's a combination of all these improvements that can make a Marlin a smooth operator with a nice, crisp trigger. That's been my experience.

Clay M
08-26-2014, 06:54 PM
What is the SBL ?
As for smoothing it up just shoot it, A WHOLE BUNCH!!!
My 1895 is a first year production pre micro groove with the B00 prefix. It is so slick now that I often open the action to check to see if it fed a round into the chamber. I am always amazed to find that it indeed has fed but I just couldn't feel it because it was so smooth.
The point is that this gun when new was just like yours, a bit stiff. The only work done to it was to shoot shoot shoot it. This gun that I often refer to as Boo and I have made many memories together and a couple of the memories were quite hair raising indeed.

That is the same as my rifle. The Boo prefix I got in 72.One of my three all time favorite rifles and the one I have killed most of my biggest deer with.When the deer hunting get serious, this is the gun I use.

osteodoc08
08-29-2014, 01:44 PM
Where are the pictures and range report?

dilly
08-29-2014, 03:18 PM
Yeah, how's the shoulder tenderizer treating you?

Jevyod
08-29-2014, 04:27 PM
Am waiting on the scope! So shoulder is fine so far! I plan on shooting nothing but cast in this one! I will try to get some pics next week. Right now, I am heading to Lake Ontario for some salmon fishing![smilie=w:[smilie=w:

Remiel
08-29-2014, 05:32 PM
Like a few have said already just get some range time on it, after about 40 to 60 rounds in my 336w the trigger worked its way in and became smoother and easier to pull, now i get 1in groups at 100yards with my handloads.

Uncle Grinch
08-29-2014, 08:31 PM
Can't help but love them lever actions. Mine is the octagon barrel cowboy version with the long barrel. I added a peep sight to help me out. No micro-groove rifling here, it's ballard type rifling.