PDA

View Full Version : Remington XP-100 questions

Danth
08-21-2014, 08:55 PM
Hello All: I'm working on a XP-100 originally in 221 Fireball. I'd like to rebarrel in 300 Blackout. Do you know if remington used the same stock for all calibers and opened up the barrel channel, or were there different stocks for the various calibers? Also, might anyone have one in 308 Winchester, and can you provide barrel dimensions? Thanks, Dan

B R Shooter
08-22-2014, 06:49 AM
I do believe the same stock was used from 221 to 35Remington. At least the ones I've owned had the same stock., although I never owned an original 221Fireball with the 10" barrel.

The plastic stocks don't have much of a barrel channel, and can't be opened up much. I would change out the stock to one that will accept a bigger barrel profile. HS Precision used to make a nice stock for them, don't know if they still do or not. There are laminate stocks available too, in bot center grip and rear grip.

Great guns!

str8wal
08-23-2014, 07:29 PM
The factory Zytel stock was the same for all, and came in brown and black. There was never a mid-grip factory XP chambered in 308 Win. I had a 7BR gun that was rechambered to 284 Win and with that light barrel it was a handful. You should be able to have a barrel made in the 300 AAC contoured to fit the factory channel.

MarkP
08-23-2014, 08:10 PM
You should be able to get the contour matched fairly easily, Douglas BBL's will match a contour for $40. For a short time Remington had a non-custom shop model with a tan laminated mid-grip stock called XP-100 Hunter (1989 to 93 or so) I think the forearm on the Hunters were a little wider than the zytel stock XP's. These were offered in 7-08, 308 etc. The rear gripped XP's have a contour similar to a M SEVEN.

MarkP
08-24-2014, 09:55 PM
Another and usually less cost idea would be to re-bore or existing bbl to .300 and get the number of grooves and twist rate you want.

B R Shooter
08-26-2014, 01:11 PM
While keeping the original stock is a good idea, I personally believe an XP really shines when it is put in a better stock and a heavier barrel. I mentioned before an HS Precision stock, and there are good laminates available too. You can keep the center grip design if youlike, or go with a rear grip stock which will allow the use of any Remington aftermarket triggers! Put a barrel on that is at least a Remington Varmint weight, or even a bit heavier, and you can use a rifle scope and take advantage of the highr power. You don't snuggle up to the scope as you normally would, but you get on target then back your head up and the sight picture is fine.

Simply awesome guns, and will regularly outshoot rifles off a rest. I used a Harris bi-pod and a soft sand bag under the grip, and it's rock solid.

MarkP
08-26-2014, 01:46 PM
My most accurate gun is my XP in 6-223; with scope it just makes the light wt. rifle class.

Iowa Fox
08-27-2014, 02:15 AM
I have been looking for a replacement stock for a couple of months. The forearm on the Zytel stocks is so skinny its almost impossible to shoot.

bobthenailer
08-27-2014, 08:44 AM
I would go with a bigger dia barrel than stock and buy a nice after market stock for your project

My XP-100 in 7mm IHSMA has a 15" Shilen Match barrel that measures 0.600 at the muzzel and is in a Brown Precision fiberglass stock , the forend is wide enough for good shooting from a bench rest.
Accuracy is outstanding ! well under MOA every time! my best 1/2" for 5 shots at 200 yards.

Hickory
08-27-2014, 08:52 AM

This is my xp100 in 223 and it shoots very well.
If you want to rebarrel it and make into a rifle
a Remington model 7 stock will work as the actions are the same.