PDA

View Full Version : Why pewter ??

buggybuilder
08-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Don't know everything or even much about casting. What do all the casters use pewter for?
I found 2 Avon statues (appear to be a colonial lady about 10" high on some type of wooden base. Nothing is marked pewter, but the base is felt covered and no other markings but kind of heavy. Could they be pewter?
Thanks.

Sig
08-21-2014, 04:48 PM
Don't know about the statues. But we add pewter to the mix for it's tin content to help get better fill out.

sqlbullet
08-21-2014, 05:21 PM
If you have or can find cheap pewter stuff, it can be an economical source of tin.

runfiverun
08-21-2014, 05:21 PM
avon did put out some pewter collectables back in their hey-day.
I'd look at the collectors market before I melted down something like this.

bangerjim
08-21-2014, 05:39 PM
Yes......don't melt down any pewter you find willy-nilly! It could be worth a whole lot more than the lousy $10 or so the tin is worth.

I found a pair of 12" candlesticks some time back hallmarked & OLD pewter. Paid $5 for the pair. Come to find out they are worth over $400 as antiques! They are in my chana closet now for holiday dinners NOT in a melting pot!!!!!!!

banger

jsizemore
08-21-2014, 08:13 PM
Yes......don't melt down any pewter you find willy-nilly! It could be worth a whole lot more than the lousy $10 or so the tin is worth.

I found a pair of 12" candlesticks some time back hallmarked & OLD pewter. Paid $5 for the pair. Come to find out they are worth over $400 as antiques! They are in my chana closet now for holiday dinners NOT in a melting pot!!!!!!!

banger

Do you have a pic of the candlesticks and hallmark so I can keep an eye out for them when I'm scrounging or at an auction? If you don't have a pic then maybe a description with details of the hallmark. Thanks

captaint
08-22-2014, 10:41 AM
I was gonna say - they sound like Mrs. Albee figurines. My wife has a number of ceramic ones. Don't think I would melt them down. Not until you look into the value, anyway. Mike

jsizemore
08-22-2014, 12:32 PM
I was gonna say - they sound like Mrs. Albee figurines. My wife has a number of ceramic ones. Don't think I would melt them down. Not until you look into the value, anyway. Mike

That's why I want to find out which ones they are. I'd sell them to somebody for half that amount all day. C-note could get them even. I can't wait to find out all about them