PDA

View Full Version : How do you have your Master Caster mounted?

AbitNutz
08-21-2014, 12:51 PM
My Master Caster has been shipped! I need to make a dedicated bench for it...how have you done yours? Pictures would be appreciated....

runfiverun
08-21-2014, 05:29 PM
I mounted mine on a bench with a drawer underneath.
I cut a square shaped hole for the boolits and sprues to fall through, with the divider in place they pretty much separate themselves into two piles.
I cover the bottom of the drawer with shop rags and use those to help clean out the drawer.

come to think of it I done pretty much the same thing with my star sizers, except I used a hole saw where they come out the bottom.

bstone5
08-21-2014, 05:58 PM
MASTER CASTER MOUNTING

I have mine mounted on a table with rollers so the unit can be moved around.

I made the table out of 1 inch square tubing with 1/8 plate for the top and on the bottom.

The Master Caster does not set on the table but is supported on six bolts that have the base 1" above the top of the table.

The space allows for cleaning the table top.

The catch pans are integrated into the design of the table.

This machine is automated with a PLC like others have done on this site.

The machine works great if each mold is adjusted for when the mold is installed.

I have cast thousands and thousands of bullets with the automated Master Caster machine.

chloe123
08-21-2014, 08:46 PM
Great thread, You guys have paved the way . Mine is pretty much sandwiched between a Dillon and a bottom pour pot. I've thought about what I should do but neglected to do anything about it

Yours look efficient, clean and safe

ReloaderFred
08-22-2014, 02:01 AM
I made a frame from 2 x 8's, open at the front. The frame is a little larger than the Master Caster, and is covered with 3/4" plywood. I cut out the hole the size of the interior cavity of the aluminum base of the machine, and then built two boxes to slide under the machine. The Bullet Box comes to just in front of the bullet drop chute, and then the sprue box butts up against it. I can empty the sprues as needed, and the bullet box is large enough that it will hold a lot of bullets before it needs to be emptied.

Hope this helps.

Fred

PS: I know someone is going to ask for pictures, but it would be quicker for me to take a picture and mail it via USPS than for me to try to post it..............

AbitNutz
08-22-2014, 03:46 AM
Please, please pictures! These all sound like great solutions!

jmorris
08-22-2014, 08:27 AM
I have my homade one mounted on one end of a 16x30 roll around cart. With my automated sizer on the other end. The output of the sizer goes into a 90 deg exhaust tube bend into the basket below. The collator I use for the sizer is used on the reloading machine too so it is only mounted on the cart when I am casting/sizing.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=105055&d=1400220860

AbitNutz
08-22-2014, 09:43 AM
I'm hoping that this can be made/used by someone who doesn't own their own trencher and forklift.

jmorris
08-22-2014, 10:42 AM
I didnt own either of them back when modified the cart. I did use a welder though.

It is a common cart, I just flipped the top upside down so it made a shelf vs the "pan" like the bottom.

AbitNutz
08-23-2014, 01:36 AM
I can't help but admire those that can build such things. I was a computer engineer, now retired and am struggling to make up those skills that require more than writing code.

ProfGAB101
08-23-2014, 04:49 AM
I mounted mine on 304SS 9/16" hex standoff legs so ammo cans are used to catch the bullets and sprues. The bullets go into a 50 cal can and it is alittle over half full with water to keep the hot soft slugs from deforming on impact - plus water drop can harden some alloys. The sprues go into the 30 cal can in front (dry). Base board is 3/4 MDF with counter top laminate. Whole rig is on the large Harbor Freight tool stand (Item #69805)(but it could fit on the next size smaller).

Those are crappy old iPod pics - but you can get the idea.

Iron Whittler
08-23-2014, 05:40 AM
bstone5 Where can the needed items be bought to automate the caster? I have one that has been inactive for several years. I am bringing it out of retirement and would like to automate along with a few star lubers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Iron Whittler

AbitNutz
08-23-2014, 12:35 PM
I'm just thrilled to have a Star with air, heat and feeder. I can't imagine it being automated. Maybe I'm just not far enough away from my old RCBS LAM 1&2. They make the Star look like a spaceship.

Dusty Ed
12-22-2014, 10:23 PM
Howdy Folks
Here is a couple of pictures of my hookup.
I hang a bucket of water under it to catch the bullets ,the spures a caught in Bread pan.
I also have bigger hole cut in the base where any dripping will fall in a bread pan that slides in under the base.

Dusty Ed

chloe123
12-22-2014, 10:49 PM
Like the exhaust set up. Interesting how you connected the exhaust housing to the rear of the pot. Presuming you found it channels the fumes more effectively. ...sharp