PDA

View Full Version : New seater plug design for Lee 9X19 dies?

FergusonTO35
08-21-2014, 09:03 AM
My Lee 3 die set for 9X19 dates to 2005 or so and has always given me good service. The only thing I don't like is the deep cup shaped recess on the seater plug, which tends to "reshape" the nose of cast boolits and cause a varying OAL, sometimes it also causes them not to seat straight. I recently bought an extra seat/crimp die, intending to use one for cast boolits at 1.055 OAL and one for j-words at 1.120 OAL. To my delight the recess on the seater plug of the new die is very shallow, almost as if it was made with boolits in mind. It works perfectly, seats to 1.055 every time. I suppose Lee recently changed the design, considering that the old design did not get along with their excellent 356-120-TC boolit. My old die has "LEE 9MM C6" stamped on it, whereas the new one says "LEE 9MM F8". This could solve my difficulties with using the new 356-95-RF in 9mm, it really likes to seat crooked with the old die.

Idz
08-21-2014, 10:04 AM
Its pretty easy to make your own custom seater pins. Just make a pin with a drilled recess, then coat a bullet with mold release, fill the recess with epoxy or hot glue and press in the bullet. You'll have a perfectly fitting seater plug for almost no cost.