PDA

View Full Version : 11 degree forcing cone cutting tool

Deep Six
08-20-2014, 07:45 PM
I have heard a lot of good things about re-cutting the forcing cone of a revolver to 11 degrees. I don't have a lathe, but I've finish-reamed rifle chambers and opened revolver cylinder throats up with the hand reamers. It seems to me re-cutting a forcing cone could also be accomplished by hand. I believe this is the correct cutter:
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/barrel-tools/chamfering-tools/11-chamfer-cutter-prod26151.aspx

At $50 bucks it would pay for itself quickly since I have a number of revolvers that are candidates for forcing cone surgery. My question is:how is this piloted? I would assume it goes on a rod that has pilot bushings to fit the bore, but I am not seeing such a thing at Brownells. What am I missing?

Surculus
08-21-2014, 03:27 AM
My question is:how is this piloted? I would assume it goes on a rod that has pilot bushings to fit the bore, but I am not seeing such a thing at Brownells. What am I missing?

You are correct: there is a pull thru rod w/ handle and pilot bushings to align the rod w/ the bore. Brownells used to sell them altogether: I have no idea why the "related items" link doesn't show up for the cutter.

EDIT: belay that; the link is there at the bottom of the page. Click on the picture labeled ".38-.45 chamfering kit parts" & you'll see the other components.

randyrat
08-21-2014, 07:32 AM
OMG the kits is $255, of course, it does cover several calibers..I'm interested as I can't find anyone around here that has a tool for a 44 mag that is 11%.. I'll keep looking or I may have to do it myself (I admit I'm no gunsmith or machinist) I respect gunsmiths and their trade enough to leave most tinkering to a pro.

DougGuy
08-21-2014, 07:35 AM
randyrat I have the tool and do this work, you would have to send to my FFL dealer here, it's a $25 charge but you don't have to go through a FFL where you are you can send direct by Fedex in a plain brown box 2 day priority.

akajun
08-21-2014, 09:34 AM
I have the tools, I never saw any improvement on paper on any gun which had a good clean forcing cone not eroded over years of shooting and neglect. What I did see improve was the flatness of the barrel face which is often out of square by using the 90* cutter, then breaking the sharp lip with the 11* which would prevent sluggish cylinder turning when the gun got dirty. As far as improvement in accuracy, I think you would be much better suited buying pin guages and reaming your cylinder throats that worrying about the forcing cone.

Bullshop
08-21-2014, 09:54 AM
I have the tool and will rent it if anyone is interested in that. I think about a $10.00 rental is fair.

DougGuy
08-21-2014, 10:28 AM
I have the tools, I never saw any improvement on paper on any gun which had a good clean forcing cone not eroded over years of shooting and neglect. What I did see improve was the flatness of the barrel face which is often out of square by using the 90* cutter, then breaking the sharp lip with the 11* which would prevent sluggish cylinder turning when the gun got dirty. As far as improvement in accuracy, I think you would be much better suited buying pin guages and reaming your cylinder throats that worrying about the forcing cone.

IF you have really good cylinder to bore alignment at lockup, you won't see any difference no matter how the forcing cone is cut because the boolit never touches it. If you have not quite so good alignment at lockup, you will likely notice an improvement. If you have any lead spitting at all, you will likely notice it may have stopped completely with the 11° cone.

Keith type boolits almost always perform better with the longer and smoother 11° cone, but the RF style boolits that don't have a driving band are a perfect match for the 11° cone, they go well together.

And I agree, the biggest improvement you will find in any revolver is making sure the cylinder throats are .0005" to .001" over boolit diameter, and making sure they are all even in size as this affects point of impact greatly.

Whiterabbit
08-21-2014, 03:57 PM
I have the tool and will rent it if anyone is interested in that. I think about a $10.00 rental is fair.

MORE than fair!

Even better is $20 before the shipping and $10 is donated to the website.

randyrat
08-21-2014, 05:53 PM
I may have found someone with a tool...I did check all the throats with a .431 pin gauge and they are perfect, all have the same amount of play using that gauge (very little play)...I can't seem to find a bad alignment with this SRH and this one doesn't spit lead. I think it is a keeper. What is nice with these SRHs is they are so beefy they can second as a club.

retread
08-22-2014, 01:39 AM
Glad to see some info on this subject. A friend of mine from Winnemucca is bringing a forcing cone reamer set when he comes over here to go Goose hunting with me. It has an 11 and a 14 degree reamer in the set along with the polishing jags. My question is 11 or 14. I am going to do my $% Colt Vaquero and a 38 Special S&W model 10(this one spits lead, not one you want to be alongside of). I shoot cast 98% of the time, SWC and RN's in both. I see 11 degree mentioned above but want to verify.

Thanks, Jay

detox
08-23-2014, 02:34 PM
I like a 5 degree forcing cone (2.5 degrees per side)

RedHawk357Mag
08-26-2014, 12:57 AM
Of those that have cutters, are these the Brownell ones? MA FORD. if so how long have you had them? I am currently on my third one attempting to cut a RedHawk 357 with no joy. I played email tag with Pacific Tool and Die trying to get a 11 degree made but ended up dealing with English as a second language person at the company. Manson would make one for me but his is high speed steel and these MA Fords are carbide. I went and spoke with a local machine shop guy and he had nothing but praise for MA Ford. Just wondering if I have had a run of Friday or Monday products.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/25/b8c257289714d297ab4de70489498bd9.jpg