PDA

View Full Version : Gas checks

oger
08-20-2014, 05:18 PM
What is the trick to seating gas checks when using a Star lube sizer? I can't get enough resistance to seat the check before the boolet is sized and pushed out of the sizing die.

marvelshooter
08-20-2014, 06:00 PM
Put something like a thin steel ruler or utility knife blade over the die hole and push against that until the check is seated and then push the boolit through the sizer.

oger
08-20-2014, 07:31 PM
Thanks, I tried all sorts of ways using the die to line thinks up but no go. Your way works well but I am doing 37gr .224 boolets and the only way to hold them is with a pair of modified tweezers or some other fixture and it is so labor intensive (4to5 a minute just to seat the check if I'm lucky) that I think I will get a top punch from NOE for the bullet and use the RCBS.

chloe123
08-20-2014, 10:50 PM
I ran into a similar issue and didn't haven't the patience for the multi step process. So, for GCs, I add the GCs and press with the RCBS LAM II in a batch, then proceed with the Star

I know that was a shi$$y response, but it does document our experiences

Maybe someone else will chime in on how they handle adding checks on smaller boolits

VHoward
08-20-2014, 11:00 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?132288-35-cal-gas-check-seating-tool
I had Buckshot make me one for my 22 caliber bullet. I can do 10 to 15 per minute. Once the gas checks are seated, then I run them through the star. Contact Buckshot about them. You will need to provide dimensions of the bullet and gas check you plan to use.

It is still a clumsy process, but easier than trying to do it without a tool. I don't think there is an easy method for smaller bullets.