PDA

View Full Version : Horse traded: Farmingdale Shiloh 2 4/10 Carbine

M71
08-20-2014, 04:46 PM
114301Just finished taking some photos of my new to me Farmingdale Shiloh in 45-90. I assumed it was a 45-70 when I traded for it and when I got to the parking lot I discovered the barrel read 2 4/10. That's okay, I ordered 100 Starline brass today. I'm already all set up for 45-70. A friend I called last night to tell about the new acquisition said he'd send me a set of Lyman dies, a compression die and all his other 45-90 accessories since he has moved on to 50-70 and 50-90. Wow, what kind of friend is that? A real good one! The barrel is only 24", it's not a military carbine though, no barrel band and no saddle ring. Perhaps it's a sporting carbine. I'm not sure what it's official designation was. The bore is as new as is the rest of the gun. I'm only loading black powder but I think I'm going to get spanked compared to my 13 lb. roller. I measured for cartridge overall length using a paper patched grease groove bullet placed in a tight fitting 45-70 brass. It measured 3.1775 using a 530 gr. Postell. I'm not sure if that would be considered a long throat or just a typical one. I'd tell you what it cost me but trust me, for that price I'm a buyer all day long. And no I didn't take advantage of anyone, they're a big time chain and normally know what their doing. Perhaps they confused it with an IAB or something. They had one of those for over $1100.00. I think they just routinely buy firearms on the cheap and try to max out the price. It didn't happen yesterday. Check it out:

montana_charlie
08-20-2014, 06:35 PM
I measured for cartridge overall length using a paper patched grease groove bullet placed in a tight fitting 45-70 brass.
I don't quite understand what you are saying there.
Has the grease grooved bullet been sized down to allow for the patch?
What is the final bullet/patch diameter that you seated in the case?

Whatever, it's a pretty rifle ... even if you decided to change out the barrel for some reason.

If the Postell bullet touches the lands when the OAL is 3.177", you don't appear to have a 'deep throat' (or long freebore).

CM

BruceB
08-20-2014, 06:44 PM
Very nice.

Even though you lucked into all the .45-90- tooling (GOOD friend!), I suspect that the .45-90 could be loaded using .45-70 dies, at least when firing ammunition loaded to blackpowder pressures.

My Farmingdale Shiloh was originally a .50-90 (mis-marked as .50-140). I had Shiloh re-barrel it to .45-70 years ago, and like it much better in that chambering.

Out of curiosity, what's the serial number range of your 'new' rifle? Mine is 37XX.

Nobade
08-21-2014, 07:31 AM
Good find! That should make a dandy hunting rifle. Great case colors!

As for the throat, you can usually see that pretty clearly in a '74 just by looking into the breech. If not, a chamber cast is useful.

-Nobade

Rifle 57
08-21-2014, 08:52 PM
Hey that is a real nice rifle,and sounds like you got a great deal.Enjoy!!

M71
01-12-2015, 09:08 PM
Too good to be true, .008 out of head space. The fired primer backed out considerably and a noticeable rim had raised around the firing pin dent. It was also extremely difficult to open the action. Shiloh in Big Timber offered to take a look but the expense was gong to be "Uncharted Waters". So I simply returned the gun to the seller for a full refund. Now I'm all set up for 45-90 and no 45-90. It sure was pretty but a lesson was learned: A center fire Farmingdale built Shiloh can have questionable internal dimensions and tolerances. My advice when considering purchasing one is to be very diligent, proceed with caution. Personally I'll never take one home again. On the other hand I've owned two Farmingdale 1863's and they were spot on, no trouble at all.

montana_charlie
01-13-2015, 02:48 PM
Too good to be true, .008 out of head space. The fired primer backed out considerably and a noticeable rim had raised around the firing pin dent. It was also extremely difficult to open the action.
This guy thought he had a headspace problem, and his symptoms sound much like yours.
http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22885

M71
01-13-2015, 08:07 PM
Yes Charlie the firing pin hole was too large. Almost forgot.

montana_charlie
01-13-2015, 10:53 PM
Yes Charlie the firing pin hole was too large. Almost forgot.
If you work through that whole thread you'll find that they decided the headspace was okay ...