PDA

View Full Version : Cap & Ball Revolver Accessory list, round two

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-20-2014, 01:56 PM
Hi Fellas,

Looking to solidify my list and add or modify the list if anything else should be added at this time.

I plan to buy from Track of the Wolf unless I find out some significant price or shipping different or anything else that would change my mind to something else. All this stuff will fit nicely in the old metal tackle box I bought with a pair of 51 Navy Brassers I picked up in a trade with several other guns years ago. Here's my wish list so far:

Powder Flask, Remington Pistol style flask, copper, with patina finish, accepts 10-1mm threaded spouts
Spout, for powder flask, 10-1mm thread, brass, throws 30 grains
Spout, for powder flask, 10-1mm thread, brass, throws 25 grains
Brass Funnel, 10-1mm thread, for filling large powder flasks
Nipple, 6-.75mm metric thread, for FAP - Pietta Remington replica revolvers, #11 CCI cap, stainless steel
Nipple Wrench for Revolvers, small, for 1858 Remington Model Revolver
Brass Capper, for #11 caps, snail shape, by Tedd Cash

Please feel free to provide links or suggestions for other things. I do plan on buying or making a holster, belt, spare cylinder pouch, (pistol cartridge box?) as well as a possibles bag(?) Does anyone have suggestions on that? I'm thinking a cross draw holster, belt, spare cylinder pouch and maybe a possibles bag or some sort, either made or bought from someone who makes good, simple and effective stuff at reasonable prices.

Thank you for your helping me getting this together.

Dave

swathdiver
08-20-2014, 03:30 PM
15 and 20 grain spouts since you have those little .36s, 35 grain spout for your Remmy. Another flask. Pistol loading rod to clean the barrels with long and tapered cleaning jags. You can get the smaller/thinner rod and swap out the jags for the appropriate caliber.

You making your own ball and wads? Making your own lubricants?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-20-2014, 07:35 PM
swathdiver, in red in the quote:

15 and 20 grain spouts since you have those little .36s, I sold those long ago.

35 grain spout for your Remmy. Just out of curiousity, why the 35 grain spout? My understanding from previous posts is the 25 and 30 spouts should cover the range toy application I'll be doing.

Another flask. One for each size spout?

Pistol loading rod to clean the barrels with long and tapered cleaning jags. You can get the smaller/thinner rod and swap out the jags for the appropriate caliber. Okay, what's the pistol loading rod for beyond cleaning exactly? And yes, I don't know the answer, I'm clueless. Never shot those two .36 caliber revolvers I traded for, just sold them, as I wasn't interested at the time.

You making your own ball and wads? Yes, already have the mold. Ordering the felt and a cutter, if there's a good cutter out there, I'm interested. Making your own lubricants? Yes, I generally either make my own or order from someone who makes good stuff. In this caes, I'll make my own, as I've rendered beef tallow before and there's a butcher shop in town where I can get cheap beef fat.

rodwha
08-21-2014, 12:06 PM
Dave,

The ToTW nipples state they were designed for CCI #11 (standard and not magnum) caps. I cannot find regular #11's, but have found the Remington #10's work great. I would like to try the CCI's though...

There's a retired machinist who makes custom punches for $10 + shipping. He also makes rod tip accessories and fiberglass rods. He suggests a slightly wider diameter for the punches. I have 2...

I'm assuming Swath was speaking of a muzzleloading type rod for your pistol to use for cleaning and such. I bought one for mine from the machinist fellow.

I also know of a retired Marine who sells accessories and whatnot who buys leather goods from a company that makes such. I picked out a holster and pouch, and he made me a belt, and stained them all to match. It's nothing fancy, but is heavy leather. DD4lifeusmc is what he goes by on many forums, though not this one. He prices his things just under what the big box stores sell their items for usually.

I like to support the little guys when I can...

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-21-2014, 04:44 PM
rodwha, in red in the quote:

Dave,

The ToTW nipples state they were designed for CCI #11 (standard and not magnum) caps. I cannot find regular #11's, but have found the Remington #10's work great. I would like to try the CCI's though... I know, but I have Remington #10's at home now and figure to buy more in big quantities if they work good.

There's a retired machinist who makes custom punches for $10 + shipping. He also makes rod tip accessories and fiberglass rods. He suggests a slightly wider diameter for the punches. I have 2.. Do you have contact information for him? I like buying from guys like that.

I'm assuming Swath was speaking of a muzzleloading type rod for your pistol to use for cleaning and such. I bought one for mine from the machinist fellow Don't know enough to know if I need one or not. I know I have a bunch of pistol cleaning rods, brushes and such for various calibers, including .44

I also know of a retired Marine who sells accessories and whatnot who buys leather goods from a company that makes such. I picked out a holster and pouch, and he made me a belt, and stained them all to match. It's nothing fancy, but is heavy leather. DD4lifeusmc is what he goes by on many forums, though not this one. He prices his things just under what the big box stores sell their items for usually.

I like to support the little guys when I can...

rodwha
08-21-2014, 04:48 PM
Here's his email:
dwwoodworker@yaoo.com
His name is Donald Weimer and is a member of the Traditional Muzzleloader Forum.

I'd provide a link to a PM which shows a pic of some of the things he makes like antler short starters and such. Cool stuff!

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-22-2014, 07:01 AM
rodwha,

Thank you for the link. I'll contact him to do some work for me.

rodwha
08-22-2014, 09:27 AM
:drinks:

You may also want to talk to DD4lifeusmc. He's on many of the other forums we are members of. I've bought things, including my belt, holster, and pouch from him.

Dan Cash
08-22-2014, 09:46 AM
Dave, you will be better served by getting the round capping tool by Ted Cash. You use a lot of caps when shooting revolvers.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-22-2014, 11:22 AM
Dave, you will be better served by getting the round capping tool by Ted Cash. You use a lot of caps when shooting revolvers.

Dan, will those fit the Remington? I've read they do not, but was wanting one until I read that.

John Allen
08-22-2014, 11:50 AM
I second the Ted Cash tools. they are great. I even got the silly pouch to hang around my neck for the capper

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-22-2014, 02:59 PM
I second the Ted Cash tools. they are great. I even got the silly pouch to hang around my neck for the capper

Which ted cash tool do you own? I listed one in my original list.

Omnivore
08-22-2014, 03:51 PM
I use the Ted Cash snail capper, which the maker calls the "Universal Capper". As I've said elsewhere several times; some say it doesn't work on un-modified Remington cylinders, but I say it does. It holds a whole tin of 100 caps, so you probably won't be needing to refill it out in the field. It works easier on the Colt Army, Navy and suchlike, but it's fine on the Pietta Remington with using a little technique. I also use it on a '62 Colt Police, so I've altogether quit using an straight-line capper for revolvers.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-23-2014, 12:05 PM
I use the Ted Cash snail capper, which the maker calls the "Universal Capper". As I've said elsewhere several times; some say it doesn't work on un-modified Remington cylinders, but I say it does. It holds a whole tin of 100 caps, so you probably won't be needing to refill it out in the field. It works easier on the Colt Army, Navy and suchlike, but it's fine on the Pietta Remington with using a little technique. I also use it on a '62 Colt Police, so I've altogether quit using an straight-line capper for revolvers.

Sounds like I need to add the snail version to my list and eliminate the straight line version. Do you load your cylinders on or off the revolver?

swathdiver
08-23-2014, 07:59 PM
swathdiver, in red in the quote:

35 is when you want to make some real smoke and a big boom. My particular Remmy runs best with 35 grains, shoot groups under an inch. The 15 and 20 are for your filler. The second flask or horn is for when you empty the first one or to keep your filler in. A Remington flask pouring 30 grain charges will give you about 72 shots.

The loading rod is only for cleaning and wiping and I use one to slug bores.

Sounds like you're good to go on the rest.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-23-2014, 08:27 PM
Swathdiver, in the quote again:

35 is when you want to make some real smoke and a big boom. My particular Remmy runs best with 35 grains, shoot groups under an inch

. The 15 and 20 are for your filler. Can you talk more about the filler? Same stuff used for smokeless firearms? The second flask or horn is for when you empty the first one or to keep your filler in. Okay, that makes sense, those flasks don't look real big, but didn't know.

A Remington flask pouring 30 grain charges will give you about 72 shots. What's the typical range session for most guys when shooting and reloading at the bench?

The loading rod is only for cleaning and wiping and I use one to slug bores. Okay, would it be better to have one made or can you recommend a good, reasonably priced one. Again, I'd rather buy quality.

Sounds like you're good to go on the rest. Fantastic, with one revolver in hand and one on the way, I'm starting to get excited. Just have to order the accessories. By the time they get here, I'll have this first revolver tuned.

rodwha
08-24-2014, 09:52 AM
The filler most guys shooting BP use is Cream of Wheat or other cereal grain.

To me it's just a hassle and another thing in the mix that's further makes it difficult to be consistent. I prefer to use felt wads. They are simple and the same time after time.

I usually try to go the range at least once a month, and because it's not as often as I'd like I generally spend all day there shooting at least 2 guns. I either take 2 pistols or a rifle and pistol, or at times, all three. For me, and when I go alone, this can be over 6 hours (I get my money's worth!), and the shots vary as I've made paper cartridges which can get me closer to the time it takes to load a single action. But then someone usually comes by asking questions and such...

The fellow I gave you the email to will make you a pistol rod out of fiberglass. He made one for me. Before that I used a cheapy Hoppes cleaning rod, but I wanted something more muzzleloader-like. And he attaches a tip that works with a ball and is threaded for other attachments. That makes it simple for cleaning...

Dan Cash
08-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Dan, will those fit the Remington? I've read they do not, but was wanting one until I read that.

I am not sure, though I think they will. I use mine on a Ruger Old Army and 1860 Colt. It seems that a friend of mine uses one for his Remington.

swathdiver
08-24-2014, 09:55 PM
Swathdiver, in the quote again:

Let's say you want to shoot for accuracy while plinking like the big shots do. They use just 15 grains of powder. But your rammer is not long enough to seat the ball on so little powder so a filler is needed. So folks use Cream of Wheat and Corn Meal. Which is better will start a posting war, I use both, usually CoW. We happen to use a CVA powder horn with a 20 grain spout attached for pouring CoW when shooting 15 grains of BP.

Well that depends. If you're training for accuracy, you won't want to use up a whole flask, you'll probably shoot under 40 rounds before the eyes tire out and such. If you plan on being there all day plinking and having fun, you can shoot 100 rounds easy.

Why have it made when they are $8.99 at Track of the Wolf? Check out the PL-5 and PL-6 or you can get ones with a fixed jag attached for a few dollars more. Excellent quality, they must be to withstand my stuffing a .490 round ball inside a .449 barrel with a hammer! Authentic looking too! I have finally rid myself of all modern looking implements when shooting bp, no more M14 cleaning kits and GI oil bottles and .50 cal ammo cans.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-24-2014, 10:32 PM
Rodwha, in the quote again:

The filler most guys shooting BP use is Cream of Wheat or other cereal grain. Just what I was guessing. Something to fill the chamber just like folks fill the cartridge.

To me it's just a hassle and another thing in the mix that's further makes it difficult to be consistent. I prefer to use felt wads. They are simple and the same time after time I've thought on this myself and right now I'm leaning towards trying a dry wool felt wad over the powder, then a lubed felt wad on both side of the balls. On the boolits, I'll probably lube the boolit with a tallow/beeswax mix and put a dry wad over the powder, maybe a lubed wad over the boolit, have to think on that a bit. Don't want to be overkill, but want plenty of lube where it counts without trashing the powder.

I usually try to go the range at least once a month, and because it's not as often as I'd like I generally spend all day there shooting at least 2 guns. I either take 2 pistols or a rifle and pistol, or at times, all three. For me, and when I go alone, this can be over 6 hours (I get my money's worth!), and the shots vary as I've made paper cartridges which can get me closer to the time it takes to load a single action. But then someone usually comes by asking questions and such.. That's a good bit more shooting than I envision for myself as far as shooting black powder. One range session a month, but probably not too many cylinders. Unless, of course, I get to liking it.

The fellow I gave you the email to will make you a pistol rod out of fiberglass. He made one for me. Before that I used a cheapy Hoppes cleaning rod, but I wanted something more muzzleloader-like. And he attaches a tip that works with a ball and is threaded for other attachments. That makes it simple for cleaning...

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-24-2014, 10:43 PM
Swatherdiver, in the quote again:

Let's say you want to shoot for accuracy while plinking like the big shots do. They use just 15 grains of powder. But your rammer is not long enough to seat the ball on so little powder so a filler is needed. So folks use Cream of Wheat and Corn Meal. Which is better will start a posting war, I use both, usually CoW. We happen to use a CVA powder horn with a 20 grain spout attached for pouring CoW when shooting 15 grains of BP. Makes sense. I doubt I'll get into the argument too much, as I'm more the "whatever getcha there" type of guy. I'll try several things, then pick one that sounds good to me. Not tied to much to one thing over another, just want to shoot a few cylinders and enjoy the time spent.

Well that depends. If you're training for accuracy, you won't want to use up a whole flask, you'll probably shoot under 40 rounds before the eyes tire out and such. If you plan on being there all day plinking and having fun, you can shoot 100 rounds easy. I think my days of competing are pretty much over. I just don't have the time to devote to it, as much as I love competing, even for the fun of it.

Why have it made when they are $8.99 at Track of the Wolf? Check out the PL-5 and PL-6 or you can get ones with a fixed jag attached for a few dollars more. Excellent quality, they must be to withstand my stuffing a .490 round ball inside a .449 barrel with a hammer! Authentic looking too! I have finally rid myself of all modern looking implements when shooting bp, no more M14 cleaning kits and GI oil bottles and .50 cal ammo cans. Hard to argue that point, as long as the product is good for the price, I don't care. I just don't want to use cheap junk. Tired of chinese made tools, for instance.

rodwha
08-25-2014, 02:27 PM
No need for a lubed wad if firing lubed bullets.

I use Gatofeo's #1 lube for my wads and for bullet lube. I asked Gatofeo about it and this recipe was an original one from waaaaay back when used for outside lubed bullets. He found it in an old magazine, and it's the best lube he's used.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-25-2014, 03:06 PM
Yes, Gatofeo's recipe was the one I was planning on imitating. Which reminds me I need to go by the butcher shop and pick up some fat to render.

Omnivore
08-25-2014, 04:31 PM
Sounds like I need to add the snail version to my list and eliminate the straight line version. Do you load your cylinders on or off the revolver?

On the gun, always. Colt '62 Pocket, Colt Navies and Remington Armies. It's in the design. You won't see me lugging a loading stand around on hikes. Where would I set a loading stand, anyway? In the bushes, in the dirt, in the snow, the mud, or on my leg?

If needed, you can re-work the tip of the snail. I did that to one of my snail cappers, but not to the other, and now I can't tell which is which, and I use them both about the same. The trick with the Remington and the Colt pocket is to understand that it can work instead of convincing yourself that it doesn't. That's the challenge. After that it's easy. By all means get the straight capper too, if for no other reason than it will allow you to see that it's actually less convenient to use for your revolvers than the snail, even on the Remington. I bring a straight capper hunting because I know I'm not firing more than one or two shots total, plus I de-prime when climing a tree and there's always the chance of losing a cap or two.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-27-2014, 07:58 AM
On the gun, always. Colt '62 Pocket, Colt Navies and Remington Armies. It's in the design. You won't see me lugging a loading stand around on hikes. Where would I set a loading stand, anyway? In the bushes, in the dirt, in the snow, the mud, or on my leg? Now there's a difference in how we each use these revolvers. I have no plans of going hiking or to be frank, do I have time to do so and few places in this heavily populated area I could and bring such a firearm. So my usage will be strictly as a range toy. For me, an old stamped steel fishing tackle box will serve to carry my accessories and a stand will be preferred.

If needed, you can re-work the tip of the snail. I did that to one of my snail cappers, but not to the other, and now I can't tell which is which, and I use them both about the same. So basically it did not need to be reworked to work?

The trick with the Remington and the Colt pocket is to understand that it can work instead of convincing yourself that it doesn't. That's the challenge. After that it's easy. Having never owned or used neither, I have no preconceptions or experience, so having to rely on input from others initially.

By all means get the straight capper too, if for no other reason than it will allow you to see that it's actually less convenient to use for your revolvers than the snail, even on the Remington. I bring a straight capper hunting because I know I'm not firing more than one or two shots total, plus I de-prime when climing a tree and there's always the chance of losing a cap or two. I doubt I'll spend the money for both, as I only need one for the range and because I'll not be going hunting with this revolver.

Thank you for the input, I'll go for the snail decapper and see how it goes. After thinking on what is likely to be practical at the range, I'll likely get the little neck pouch for it for convenience purposes as well as a holster for the revolver so to have a convenient place to put it when I'm not firing it.

dondiego
08-27-2014, 09:11 AM
I would purchase the snail capper. Use your finger nails to decap!

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-03-2014, 03:00 PM
I want to thank everyone who posted on this thread and my first one. I placed an order with Track of the Wolf for all the components and while they might not be the cheapest/best price, they had everything I decided to order in stock and I was able to consolidate shipping by buying from one supplier.

I also ordered some Durofelt for wads from durofelt.com and while perusing their other offerings, found they had mutton tallow in one pound packages for a reasonable price. Since lamb fat is pretty much a unicorn in the Southeast, I made a decision to go ahead and order a couple of pounds. Got them in and since I already had beeswax and Gulf Wax, made myself 2.5 pounds of Gatafeo's #1 lube and poured it into some Bojangle's plastic containers my wife had saved after we bought some takeout from there a week or so ago. So I'm set for lube, accoutrements and lube. Just gotta get busy and cast up some round balls and bullets.:) That shouldn't take long.

rodwha
09-03-2014, 03:10 PM
:drinks:

GREENCOUNTYPETE
09-05-2014, 03:58 PM
I have one more , 6 cavity round ball mold from track of the wolf

I bought one in .490 , and wish i would have bought the .457 mold in a 6 cavity

the only problem with the 6 cavity mold is you will want a second pot because the first one will be drained in 20 minutes

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-05-2014, 11:49 PM
I have one more , 6 cavity round ball mold from track of the wolf

I bought one in .490 , and wish i would have bought the .457 mold in a 6 cavity

the only problem with the 6 cavity mold is you will want a second pot because the first one will be drained in 20 minutes

I asked here and found the 6 cavity round ball mold much cheaper from Titan Reloading I believe. You'll have to check my recent posts on here to find out for sure. Got the .457 six ganger.

As far as pots go, I have a brand new Lee 20 pounder and a used Lee 10 pounder given to me by an old friend. I have a welder now and the plan is to build a small rack so the one pot can feed the other. That way, I should always have hot lead ready to go for larger volume casting.