PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Marlin 336 RC 35 Rem front sight base

CGT80
08-19-2014, 10:36 PM
My neighbor has a Marlin 336 RC in 35 Remington. He hasn't shot it in 20+ years and said the full power loads beat the **** out of him. I am working on some light loads with lead pistol bullets and may cast some boolits for it if need be. I don't have a rifle mold for 35 remington yet.

Somehow, the rifle is missing the entire front sight. It has two threaded screw holes for the sight base to attach to. The rear sight is stock and is like the stock sight on my win 94 30-30 (I think it might be called a buckhorn. It has a ramp that has notches and slides under the sight).

Midway lists it here: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/518723/marlin-front-sight-base-marlin-336-30-30-winchester-35-remington-model-45
It is discontinued.

Numrich lists it as sold out: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/407200A.htm

I asked my neighbor if he thought the stock sights would be good enough for his eyesight and he says he doesn't have any problem with focusing on objects at those distances. He doesn't wear glasses when I see him, so hopefully he won't change his mind right away. I mentioned doing a scope or red dot. He wants to keep the price low and just have some fun plinking. If it comes down to it, I could attempt to machine a new sight of some sort. I have a small mill and lathe, but they aren't anything fancy and I am no machinist. He said a match stick would do. I can do better than that.

Does anyone know where I might find a sight base or entire sight for this gun? I told the neighbor we may have to go to an aftermarket sight kit like the fiber optic versions that are out there. I love using fiber on my pistols but I shoot my win 94 with stock sights. The win 94 has a williams FP target peep waiting to be tried out, as I use the gun for silhouette competitions. At this point, I don't have a good recommendation for sights for my neighbor to use, but stock would probably be least expensive. He could try out my win 94 and that would tell us if the sights are to his liking.

Kevinakaq
08-19-2014, 10:44 PM
Numrich is currently sold out of them and don't see any listed on ebay either. I would recommend contacting Marlin directly and getting a replacement if no one on the forum has one to spare. Will probably be the cheapest price as well.

Their customer number - 1-800-544-8892 (choose option 4 when you call)

The sight kits with the fiber optic normally are just include the post (with dovetail) and require that you have a base.

hope this helps,
kevin

RickinTN
08-19-2014, 11:01 PM
You might check with Brownells. I've ordered several Marlin parts from them in the past.
Rick

MostlyLeverGuns
08-19-2014, 11:25 PM
A good recoil pad makes a world of difference in 'How much FUN' shooting can be, particularly with full loads in light rifles. I put soft recoil pads on .243 or bigger just because they make shooting more pleasant. I never quite put dumb as part of tough. Brownell's is a very good place for Marlin parts. Ebay or Gunbroker maybe. Brownell's is normally lower cost than Ebay. Brownell's , MidwayUSA, others list some peep/receiver sights for the Marlin. Most are Williams, which work just fine. many Marlins are tapped on the side for a receiver sight. Recent models are only tapped on top, but there are receiver sights available that use the top rear 'scope' mount screwholes. Many .38 or .357 molds work well for the .35 Rem. Most feed without problems in the 336. As a specific rifle mold the RCBS-35-200 or clones from other mold makers works very well, but again many .38 Special boolits work just fine. Bullet diameter of .358 might work, but .359 or.360 might be needed. Once you fire light loads in .35 Rem brass, it should be marked for light loads, as the small shoulder can move forward with the light loads.

Denver
08-20-2014, 11:46 PM
I've been playing with powder coated boolits for my Marlin 336 35 Rem the last few days and came up with a plinkin/small game load that is great. Using the Lee 158 gr RNFP boolit PC'd and sized to .360 over 9 grs of Unique or 10 grs of Herco, they will both shoot under an inch at 50 yds in my rifle. I also use a small tuft of polyester fiberfill over the powder. I need to try the same load with the boolit uncoated and lubed to see how they compare.

Also wanted to add these loads both average 1450 fps.

richhodg66
08-21-2014, 12:14 AM
I have had a .35 Remington Marlin a long time. Mine is an old, pre micro groove one with the long barrel and half magazine, not a carbine. I haven't shot it for a long time, but I don't remember recoil being bad.

I took an old Remington 141 out and shot it using the NOE clone of the RCBS 200 grain FP and 35 grains of IMR 4320. Accurate load, recoil was there, but not oppressive. The beauty of .35s is they do well with .38 revolver bullets. My old Marlin used to shoot Lyman 358311s well using about eight grains of Red Dot. Cheap, fun load.

CGT80
08-21-2014, 12:38 AM
Numrich is currently sold out of them and don't see any listed on ebay either. I would recommend contacting Marlin directly and getting a replacement if no one on the forum has one to spare. Will probably be the cheapest price as well.

Their customer number - 1-800-544-8892 (choose option 4 when you call)

The sight kits with the fiber optic normally are just include the post (with dovetail) and require that you have a base.

hope this helps,
kevin

Thanks for that number. I called, but they only have the newer style sight base, or so the customer service person thought. The holes are 0.710" center to center, but they didn't have specs at Marlin.

You might check with Brownells. I've ordered several Marlin parts from them in the past.
Rick
Brownells didn't have any bases available either. I am not sure if they are just out, or if the part is discontinued. I sent them an email to see if they could suggest a part that might work.

A good recoil pad makes a world of difference in 'How much FUN' shooting can be, particularly with full loads in light rifles. I put soft recoil pads on .243 or bigger just because they make shooting more pleasant. I never quite put dumb as part of tough. Brownell's is a very good place for Marlin parts. Ebay or Gunbroker maybe. Brownell's is normally lower cost than Ebay. Brownell's , MidwayUSA, others list some peep/receiver sights for the Marlin. Most are Williams, which work just fine. many Marlins are tapped on the side for a receiver sight. Recent models are only tapped on top, but there are receiver sights available that use the top rear 'scope' mount screwholes. Many .38 or .357 molds work well for the .35 Rem. Most feed without problems in the 336. As a specific rifle mold the RCBS-35-200 or clones from other mold makers works very well, but again many .38 Special boolits work just fine. Bullet diameter of .358 might work, but .359 or.360 might be needed. Once you fire light loads in .35 Rem brass, it should be marked for light loads, as the small shoulder can move forward with the light loads.

Recoil pads are a great idea, but I like light loads even better. That old sight base is pretty elusive right now. I have checked everything but Gunbroker. I will keep checking, though. It looks like this marlin may have the side holes for a peep, and it is tapped for a scope, so a peep is an option.

I have a bunch of 38/357 158 lswc bullets. They are the same diameter as the Jwords in the factory ammo that my neighbor had (just shy of 0.358"). I will try a few and go from there. I could clean the lube off and PC them and size bigger. I would have to get a custom sizing die or open up one of my RCBS LAM I 358 dies. I read about the RCBS 35 200 and the clones of it. I would pick up an NOE mold in that configuration if I can't get pistol bullets/boolits to work. I have a 158 RN mold that drops up to 0.362", so that is an option.

I have had good luck with my 30-30 and an NOE 175 fp (saeco 315) plain base at 1300 fps. I use large rifle primers and herco. For the 35 Rem, I plan to use Red Dot in the 4-8 grain range. Is 35 Rem more critical in the shoulder area than 30-30? Would LPP be better, should I open up the flash holes too? Here is some reading I did on 35 Wheelen, but I don't know how close that cartridge is to the 35 Rem: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?183082-35-Whelen-and-pistol-38-357-boolits

Posts 6 and 8 were interesting to me.

A Marlin 336RC will require the old style front sight base.

The old style had the two mounting screws located fore and aft of the dovetail for the front sight, both screws are exposed. The distance between the screws on the old style sight is .700" center-to-center.

The new style has the aft screw exposed and the forward screw located in the front sight dovetail and is covered by the front sight. I don't happen to know the spacing on the new style, but it does not appear to be compatible with the older Marlin carbines.

PB

Looks like you are right. I measured 0.710" c to c. Marlin confirmed that they thought the new sight was not compatible with the old guns. I wonder if it could be made to work. Would a single screw be sufficient for light loads at the range? This rifle will be a bit like a 22lr rifle to just plink around with at the range, for my neighbor. We all know how the price is on 22lr, and he has only one center fire, firearm, the 35 Rem rifle.

He would probably be thrilled to hit my 12" steel plate at 100 yards, so accuracy and load only need to be capable of minute of pie plate at 100 yards. Anything better is just a bonus. I am more of an action shooter than paper target accuracy shooter as well. I like accuracy, but moving and shooting and ringing steel, are what I have fun at. I do action pistol shoots, 3 gun, and lever action silhouette. I doubt my neighbor would really expect more than that, as he isn't even a shooter right now. He says his wife brought up the topic more than anything. She seems to be interested in a self defense pistol for the house, so I will take them out to try pistols when the weather cools off a bit. She can't take the sun and heat. He wanted to use his rifle while at the range. Hopefully I can infect them with this incurable disease of shooting :guntootsmiley:

Thanks for the help guys. I will keep up the search. Marlin listed a site called wisners as well, so I will look for that. I though he said Wideners at first, I am all too familiar with spending money with them. Their other suggestion was the marlin forum. They didn't have the part, but at least they had some good ideas.

CGT80
08-21-2014, 12:49 AM
I've been playing with powder coated boolits for my Marlin 336 35 Rem the last few days and came up with a plinkin/small game load that is great. Using the Lee 158 gr RNFP boolit PC'd and sized to .360 over 9 grs of Unique or 10 grs of Herco, they will both shoot under an inch at 50 yds in my rifle. I also use a small tuft of polyester fiberfill over the powder. I need to try the same load with the boolit uncoated and lubed to see how they compare.

Also wanted to add these loads both average 1450 fps.

I don't know if I need that much speed, but that is right along the lines of what I was thinking. My 30-30 and 30-06 load for a NOE 180 PB is 9.6 grains of Herco and 1300 fps in the 30-30 win 94. I have a bunch of red dot and I like the way it meters better than Herco, so I was going to go with that. That sounds like great accuracy for a plinking load. I would be thrilled with the same results.

I have had a .35 Remington Marlin a long time. Mine is an old, pre micro groove one with the long barrel and half magazine, not a carbine. I haven't shot it for a long time, but I don't remember recoil being bad.

I took an old Remington 141 out and shot it using the NOE clone of the RCBS 200 grain FP and 35 grains of IMR 4320. Accurate load, recoil was there, but not oppressive. The beauty of .35s is they do well with .38 revolver bullets. My old Marlin used to shoot Lyman 358311s well using about eight grains of Red Dot. Cheap, fun load.

Red Dot and a revolver bullet would be ideal for what I am doing. I also have copper plated bullets and jwords for 357 revolvers that I could try. It is good to know the NOE clone is a good boolit. Will that boolit work with shotgun/pistol powders like red dot? It seems the rifle powders up the price a fair bit when making plinking loads. If I do end up going to a rifle boolit, I may do some mid to warm loads for him to keep it interesting. Factory Jword loads always seem to be the most harsh to me, where lead boolits can be more tame and still give nice results. I have run some checked boolits over 4895 in my 30-06 and they were much nicer on the shooter than the Jwords with the same powder.

RickinTN
08-21-2014, 09:22 AM
You might give Jack First gun shop in Rapid City, SD a try on the sight base. I don't know why I didn't think about them before.
Good Luck with finding one,
Rick

MostlyLeverGuns
08-21-2014, 09:40 AM
On the .35 Rem, the tiny shoulder is taking the entire force of the firing pin blow, the large rim of the .30-30 stops any forward movement from the firing pin blow. This shoulder issue exists in all the rimless cartridges(.308, .30-06) and is mentioned by experts like Harris. For light loads ONLY, you might consider large pistol primers. They are softer and MAY help with the shoulder issue. A single screw (assuming 6-48 or larger) should hold the sight ramp without problem. There are ramps other than Marlin that might work, provided the screw hole in the ramp is in a 'reasonable' position. A little Loctite or even epoxy can help secure things if needed. A LITTLE heat can be applied if you need to remove the ramp. I have always liked the .35's because of the .38/.357 bullet capability. My quote 'house' (under the bed) gun is a Marlin 336c in .35. (No close neighbors).

MostlyLeverGuns
08-21-2014, 10:59 AM
Almost forgot, slip-on recoil pads work very well, eliminate permanent changes and are inexpensive compared to gunsmith installation of permanent pads. Amazon carries many different ones. Most work very well for shooter comfort.

Denver
08-21-2014, 11:37 AM
I've used the Marble sight ramp that has the fiber optic rod on a couple Marlins I've had. Brownells has them in different heights. They also have the dovetail ramps that take a bead sight. Just need to know what height you need.

BTW, the loads I mentioned used Fed 150 LP primers. Also I loaded some 158 gr swc boolits with the same powder charge and got a group that barely stayed on my paper plate target at 50 yds.

richhodg66
08-21-2014, 01:15 PM
I don't know if I need that much speed, but that is right along the lines of what I was thinking. My 30-30 and 30-06 load for a NOE 180 PB is 9.6 grains of Herco and 1300 fps in the 30-30 win 94. I have a bunch of red dot and I like the way it meters better than Herco, so I was going to go with that. That sounds like great accuracy for a plinking load. I would be thrilled with the same results.

Red Dot and a revolver bullet would be ideal for what I am doing. I also have copper plated bullets and jwords for 357 revolvers that I could try. It is good to know the NOE clone is a good boolit. Will that boolit work with shotgun/pistol powders like red dot? It seems the rifle powders up the price a fair bit when making plinking loads. If I do end up going to a rifle boolit, I may do some mid to warm loads for him to keep it interesting. Factory Jword loads always seem to be the most harsh to me, where lead boolits can be more tame and still give nice results. I have run some checked boolits over 4895 in my 30-06 and they were much nicer on the shooter than the Jwords with the same powder.

I haven't tried that NOE bullet with pistol powders yet as I bought the mold mainly for deer loads in a .358 Winchester, but years ago I used the 206 grain RN bullet Lyman makes a mold for with pistol powders and it worked well. I can't see a reason why it wouldn't.

I'll have to check my old Lyman manual and see, but I think they have a lot of loads with pistol powders and that bullet. Seems like most of that data should work well with this 200 FP too.

izzyjoe
08-24-2014, 04:19 PM
I have a 336sc made in '53, and it was missing the whole front sight, so I had a parts rifle from the late 70's and it fit perfectly. The only difference I see is the more current rifles have a different sight base with a different screw spacing. the only other two I have are dovetailed behind the front band for a std. sight.

CGT80
08-24-2014, 07:40 PM
I have a 336sc made in '53, and it was missing the whole front sight, so I had a parts rifle from the late 70's and it fit perfectly. The only difference I see is the more current rifles have a different sight base with a different screw spacing. the only other two I have are dovetailed behind the front band for a std. sight.

Thanks for the info.

Another member sent me a message and it looks like he has a base that will match. It has the right spacing but will need trimmed a bit to clear the barrel band. I will find out for sure when I get it.