PDA

View Full Version : 1873

John Taylor
08-19-2014, 08:16 PM
Picked up an 1873 Winchester today in 32-20. Story goes it was found in the crawl space under a house that was being torn down. It has a coat of rust over the whole thing but not so bad it can't be made to look good. Forearm has a chip missing and the nose cap is held on with a nail but the action runs smooth. Barrel markings are almost gone so I may just make a new barrel for it and a new mag tube. Like I don't have enough projects. S/N places it made in 1895.

prsman23
08-19-2014, 08:36 PM
Sounds like a good project. I'd love to have one in the caliber

TXGunNut
08-19-2014, 10:30 PM
Nice find, can't help but wonder how it came to be there. How old was the house? Could be an interesting project, looking forward to hearing about your adventures with it.

birch
08-20-2014, 09:27 PM
I just picked one up that needs a dust cover and a barrel. the barrel is great, but someone tried to make a half octagon/round with a backyard lathe and really messed it up. Still it is a 1873 in 32-20. Mine is accurate as I'll get out.

If you have a good place to get barrel stock, or a new barrel, I would appreciate a PM. I do not have the skill to make my own threads, so I have to have it farmed out, but I would still be interested in a good blank.

John Taylor
08-21-2014, 08:26 AM
For the time being I have a 32-20 Green mountain barrel that was on a different rifle that I will use. It is tapered for a 1892 so is a bit smaller at the muzzle. I have a mag tube ring in stock and will get an 1892 mag from Wisners that should work fine. The lever is slightly bent and I just happen to have a good one on the shelf. Also found a good old used forearm for a 92 the will match the barrel taper and I think I have a nose cap to match. This will get me a shooter without laying out to much money. Eventually I will come up with a barrel blank and cut it to the right size and have it roll marked to restore it back the way it should be.
I found this barrel at a very good price but they are out of stock http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/pid_1891.htm . Hard to believe that someone is make barrels that inexpensive, I would get closer to $700 for a properly marked barrel.

snaketail
08-21-2014, 08:50 AM
I've been wondering where I left that thing!
PM me and I'll send you my address - I'll pay you back for the shipping. I can describe it, if necessary: A Winchester, has a lever on the bottom side, buckhorn sights, wood and metal, has a smallish hole down the middle of the barrel.

(Good find - will be a great project too.)

OverMax
08-21-2014, 04:04 PM
Now that is a handy site to know. (homesteadparts) Reasonable priced too. Thanks John Taylor.

John Taylor
08-21-2014, 06:54 PM
I've been wondering where I left that thing!
PM me and I'll send you my address - I'll pay you back for the shipping. I can describe it, if necessary: A Winchester, has a lever on the bottom side, buckhorn sights, wood and metal, has a smallish hole down the middle of the barrel.

(Good find - will be a great project too.)
Sorry, must not be yours, no rear sight.

TXGunNut
08-21-2014, 09:57 PM
Don't tell anybody but Homestead quite often has some pretty awesome old Winchesters for what seems to be decent prices.

Le Loup Solitaire
08-21-2014, 10:21 PM
A well known reputable source for anything and just about everything Winchester is "Buckinghams" in Western Tennessee. I do not have the exact address anymore, but I am told that he is on the web. I was once there about 20+ years ago and there is nothing like it that I had ever seen. He simply had everything and was reasonable. Worth checking out. LLS

John Taylor
08-22-2014, 10:10 AM
A well known reputable source for anything and just about everything Winchester is "Buckinghams" in Western Tennessee. I do not have the exact address anymore, but I am told that he is on the web. I was once there about 20+ years ago and there is nothing like it that I had ever seen. He simply had everything and was reasonable. Worth checking out. LLS
He does not have a good reputation in my shop.

bigted
08-23-2014, 07:07 PM
come now John ... you know the drill here ... pictures man ... pictures !!! :drinks:

TXGunNut
08-24-2014, 10:26 PM
come now John ... you know the drill here ... pictures man ... pictures !!! :drinks:

Reckon he's teasing us? Or maybe he just wants to show us "after" pictures. ;-)