PDA

View Full Version : Rusted mold screws, How to get them out??

Leadmelter
08-19-2014, 07:46 PM
I got a mold with the screws rusted in the handles and mold. I have putting Kano Kroil on them but they won't budge.
Already contacted Eric about the issue.
Thanks
Leadmelter
MI

longbow
08-19-2014, 07:51 PM
I would soak the mould in penetrating oil (your Kano Kroil might do, I am not familiar with it) then heat until the oil starts to smoke then try again while the mould is hot. It may take a cycle or two but should work and won't hurt the mould... assuming this is an iron mould? If aluminum or brass then I would be gentle with the screws or they are likely to strip threads in the mould blocks.

Longbow

country gent
08-19-2014, 07:59 PM
Get a tight fitting screw driver if slotted screws one the shaft goes thru the handle if possible. Lock blocks in a padded vise, tight set handles down on jaws of vise. Set the screw driver in the slot and tap on back of screw drover while appling twist on the screws. Kroil will help alot heat may also help. Fill around heads full with kroil and let soak also work some around handles in the slot to get it to penetrate everywhere. You can pack slots off with odeling clay to help hold oil in them longer also. The tapping should help set up a vibration that aids loosening the screws.

John Boy
08-19-2014, 07:59 PM
I got a mold with the screws rusted in the handles and mold.
Brush the screws with a 50:50 mix of ATF and Acetone ... Shake well

a.squibload
08-21-2014, 01:26 AM
All the above, and try to tighten a little bit, might help to break 'em loose.

gwpercle
08-21-2014, 05:13 PM
Give it a good long soak...I'm talking 4 to 12 weeks, in penetrating oil, like Kroil or whatever .
Last rusted gun I soaked for 5 months in kerosene ( old school soaking agent) before trying to take apart. They sell the stuff as hurricane lamp oil or as fuel for tiki lamps, it's just highly refined kerosene. And it does work as a rusty parts soak. Although Kroil or Liquid Wrench probably work better because that's what they are made for.
Gary

fatnhappy
08-22-2014, 04:41 PM
Stupid question but have you tried removing them with the mould up to casting temperature? I would give it a try and even if they don't budge, it'll improve the soak. Expansion and contract will often break mechanical bonding.

woodbutcher
08-22-2014, 06:26 PM
:) Learned a little trick years ago on how to remove stubborn screws in"delicate"metal such as carburators.Use a high output soldering iron to heat just the screw.This will USUALLY break it loose fairly easily.You can use a bit of your favorite penetrating oil if you wish.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

GP100man
08-26-2014, 08:03 AM
I`ve beat on bolts all my life & atf with acetone is the best rust buster you can get , better than PB blaster !

Soak & heat cycles should let it turn loose .

bangerjim
08-26-2014, 03:59 PM
Get a can of "PB Blaster" at Lowe's. I use it all the time and it penetrates and loosens rust (I mean REALLY BAD rust) like magic. Just keep saturating the threads. WD-40 is a joke. You cannot even start lawnmowers with it anymore. Home brews may sort of work, but this stuff is amazing. Spend a few bucks and get what works!

bangerjim

CastingFool
08-26-2014, 04:37 PM
I have an old "Blue Point" (made by Snap On) Impact Screwdriver. You can use it to loosen up screws, or tighten them. You just put the tip into the slot of the screw, turn the whole thing to the left and smack it with a brass hammer. Loosens most screws on the first try. To tighten a screw, works the same way, but turn the thing to the right. One good smack is all you need to keep the screw tight. Kept me from breaking many aluminum screws on motorcycle cases and such.

Kimber bob
08-26-2014, 04:49 PM
Yes heat an the use of an impact device, hammer type or if you have a impact wrench set the air very low and let it hammer away. PB blaster, and some heat also can help lots. Good luck sometimes the screw will break before it gives way so start light with a VERY good fitting screw driver

bangerjim
08-26-2014, 06:05 PM
And I hope you have a set of screw extractors. They are MOST valuable in situations like this whey you will probably end up breaking the screw off, drilling it out and extracting the remains. Easy to do with the right tools.

banger