PDA

View Full Version : IMR Hi-Skor 700x, opinions, expereince and even speculation wanted

azrednek
08-19-2014, 05:13 PM
As we all know of the scarcity of pistol powder. My favorites and ol'stanbys for cast boolit shooting are no where to be found here in Phoenix. I did find a deal on a 4lb canister of IMR Hi-Skor 700x. I found data for it for nearly every handgun I shoot home cast in except 9MM Makarov and 380. The majority of it providing I decide to buy it will be used in 9MM, 38 Special, 44 Special and the 45's (AR, ACP & Colt). I tend to keep my loads mild, rarely loading max.

While searching for data the first thing that grabbed my attention was the small charge shown for 9MM. Being the cheapskate I am I have no problem with more bangs per pound, guess that is one reason I'm so fond of Bullseye. Having never used the 700X before I'm really curious how well it meters through a progressive set-up. Is the 700X ball, flake etc type powder? I use a Hornady Lock N Load. Will the 700X meter well enough that I wont be constantly fiddling with the powder adjustment? Guess the big question is safety. If I'm working with a minimum-maximum window of 3.3 through 3.9 grs. Will the 700X meter and flow well enough I wont have to worry about squibs or over-max charges??

As I previously mentioned, I'm a cheapskate. I don't want to invest into a 4lb keg of powder I wont be comfortable with. My favorite handgun powders I've been using since the 70's are Bullseye and Herco. Since the Dictator In Chief was elected HP-38 and HS-6 were my back-ups. Anything you can tell me or wish to share about 700X will be deeply appreciated.

nicholst55
08-19-2014, 05:42 PM
IIRC, 700X is a flake powder similar to the Alliant pistol/shotgun powders. Been a while since I've loaded any, although I have an unopened bottle on the bench. My LGS had 700X, W296, and IMR-4227 in stock for pistol powders the last time I went. I'm looking to laod some factory velocity .45 ACP and .45 Colt, so 700X it was!

Handloader109
08-19-2014, 07:19 PM
I've used 800x, haven't had any problem. Would love some 700x if I could find it

scattershot
08-19-2014, 07:33 PM
A friend gave me some awhile back. I have used a little of it in 45 ACP and 45 colt. Seems like a tood powder, and it meters acceptably in my Dilllon, but not so much through my Lyman powder measure. I think the baffle is the key. Use it with confidence, it's been round a long time.

fecmech
08-19-2014, 08:11 PM
I have only used it in 12 ga shotshell loading. It is a fast powder, faster than Bullseye but fairly fine grained and should meter just fine on a progressive press. It's finer than Unique and that varies very little on my CH Auto Champ. Here's some pics of Bullseye, 700x and Red Dot. If you click on the picture you can look closer.

Le Loup Solitaire
08-19-2014, 10:23 PM
I have successfully used 700X in 38 special, 45 ACP and 9mm. Not for hot rod loads but for target work. Although a fairly fast powder I have never experienced any leading or unburned grains. it has always metered well for me thru RCBS and Ohaus Duo measures. I once fished out a quantity of the yellow flakes and loaded them as regular loads and they performed the same as the regular non yellow ones. It's been a good reliable powder for me. LLS

Deep Six
08-19-2014, 11:29 PM
I like it for 38 spl, 44 spl, and 45 colt. Works about like bullseye or red dot except it fills the case more. Very large flakes don't meter well at all - although I did eventually get my Hornaday powder measure to settle in on the progressive. It would be one of my last choices for 9mm just because it'd be hard to fit enough in that little case. A lot like unique except faster and isn't as sooty at low pressures.

lar45
08-19-2014, 11:33 PM
I think that it's burn rate is real close to RedDot. I've used it for a long time in the 45ACP and have been very happy with it. It seems to meter fine in my Dillon with very little variation.

smkummer
08-20-2014, 10:01 AM
I got started with 700X when it was sold as surplus military powder (used in 50 cal blanks). It is my target 12 gauge powder bar none. It works great for 45 ACP 230 lead and lighter bullets. It is my cowboy action powder for 44 mag./200 and 45 Colt/200 grain. In 45 Colt, it is not position sensitive like unique, so it or red dot are my light loads for 45 Colt. I use it in 9mm and I use 4.2 grains behind a lee 125 lead, I tried 3.9 grains but occasionally I was getting lighter charges and jams because of too small of charge. I had trouble with my pro 1000 and 3.6 grains for a 38 special 158 grain bullet, but a plus P load of 4.2 grains and a 125 grain bullet works well. It seems it would not always throw a full charge when I used the smaller charge but that could be my press also. I am sure you can find a 380 charge with 700X but if it will be consistent is another issue. The 49th Lyman handbook shows a max. of 2.5 grains with either the 92 cast lyman bullet or 95 grain FMJ. I just loaded 500 380 with 231/lyman 92 grain lead and that is one consistant powder and my favorite for .380.

DrCaveman
08-20-2014, 11:20 AM
I like the results ive seen in 45 acp, with 200 and 230 grain projectiles
Was very accurate, and filled the case nicely. Seemed to meter well, the visual case check showed no significant variation. This was using Lee gear
The little cartridges (9 and 380) might be a bit more touchy because of the low charge weights...i know my Lee sucks at dropping less than 4 grains of unique. But like i said, worked great in the 45 acp

Thumbcocker
08-20-2014, 02:14 PM
Mike V. Did an article on it back in the 90's I still have the article. The load I used a lot was 7 grains in .44 mag with a 250 Keith. Chronoed 1000 fps good accuracy and very clean cases.

GoodAlloy
08-20-2014, 03:09 PM
700X meters decent, has always given me low spreads, usually not the highest velocity but alot of the time in the top two or three for accuracy in the cartridges that you mentioned you would load it in. If you can find it, give it a try you may like it. I tried it by accident/chance and now it is a standard bottle on my bench. Absolute perfect performance in the .45ACP & 38 Special. Suppost to be slower than Bullseye but I have had lots that were so close to Bullseye that I couldn't really see much difference.

bedbugbilly
08-20-2014, 09:21 PM
azrednek - I just ran into the same problem as you. I load mainly 38 spl and 9mm - my favorite is Bulls Eye. I checked one LGS that I usually go to and they had absolutely noting on the shelves for pistol when I was there a couple of weeks ago. I was at another gun shop to drop a Mauser off to be checked out and was able to get a container of Red Dot. I asked about my list of favorites and the salesman, who shoots a lot of pistol competition, handed me a container of 700X. I never have used it but he said since some powders are hard to get, that's all he uses now and he loves it. He said it meters well, burns clean and he is planning on sticking with it if he can.

Of course I was limited to just one container - which is fine as it allows others to get some as well. I'm in MI now but usually spend winters in AZ south of you (south of Tucson). It doesn't sound like the supply out there has changed much from a year ago. I found one place out by us that carried small pistol primers - they ONLY wanted $48.00/1,000! I looked at the guy and just laughed and shook my head. He looked at me funny and asked if I thought that was expensive - I told him outright that I'd buy kid's paper caps and use them before I'd consent to rape.

I also noticed the charge weights on the 700X - in my Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #3 and they do look minimal - I can live with that though - more charges per container oner some of the others. I'm kind of anxious to give it a try as the salesman couldn't say enough good things about it.

FergusonTO35
08-21-2014, 09:12 AM
I'm currently using 700X as my practice powder in 9mm to preserve my Bullseye. With my Lee Pro Auto Disk it meters just fine from 3.1 grains on up. Below that not so much. This is a very fast powder that just doesn't work for strong loads with boolits. For boolits up to 130 grains I like 3.0-3.4. Anything above that you are going to get poor accuracy and probably leading. I find 3.7 grains under a 115 or 124 grain j-slug at 1.120 OAL works great also. 700X is also a bulky powder that fills the case really well. My experience suggests that overall its like a cheaper version of Titegroup that doesn't meter as well.

Hunter
08-21-2014, 10:37 PM
IMR 700X is my favorite propellant for .45 Automatic.

MT Chambers
08-22-2014, 12:13 AM
Did ya try Thunderbird in the west end of Phoenix??

azrednek
08-22-2014, 02:04 PM
Did ya try Thunderbird in the west end of Phoenix??

Not in quite awhile but I will. Long drive but it might be worth the trip. As the ol'saying goes. "those that snooze, lose". Thanks for the advise gentlemen but I waited to long and the 700X is gone.

FergusonTO35
08-23-2014, 12:38 PM
Uhm, isn't Thunderbird a horrendous product containing ethanol that the manufacturer claims to be wine, favored by those who truly have nothing to live for? At least that is the description of it from a buddy who lived in the southwestern desert for awhile.

Love Life
08-23-2014, 12:48 PM
Used to drink thunderbird in highschool because it was cheap. When I was flush we had real booze followed by MD 20/20 with Thunderbird at the bottom of the heap.

9.3X62AL
08-23-2014, 12:55 PM
Not a whole lot of "700-X" has run through my machinery, but it has done great work for me in 12 gauge--38 Special--and 45 ACP. It has always been scarce in the areas I lived, while the Hercules/Alliant shotgun fuels have been stocked in greater depth until the ObamaNation scared us all to death. 700-X has not been cranky at all in my RCBS measures or in the MEC reloader.

The comparisons of 700-X as a "clean version of Red Dot" seem about right to me.

azrednek
08-23-2014, 08:56 PM
Used to drink thunderbird in highschool because it was cheap. When I was flush we had real booze followed by MD 20/20 with Thunderbird at the bottom of the heap.

I see you must have lived with the upper crust and could actually afford Thunderbird as a teenager. For me and my gang it was 79 cents per pint of Ripple or this horrible beer I can't recall the name for $2.40 for a case of 24 providing we had all the returnable bottles.

tazman
08-23-2014, 09:40 PM
Sounds like the Red White and Blue brand beer we had around here back in the day. Cheap and horrible.
Guaranteed to give you a bad hangover even if you didn't get drunk on it.

Djones
08-24-2014, 10:05 PM
I use 700x in my 45-70 405 grain boolit over 11 grains of 700x. I measure each charge because it doesn't meter well through my lyman powder measure.

It it is my goto powder for my 12 gauge target loads.

C. Latch
08-24-2014, 10:15 PM
I use Lee dippers to dispense it into .38 special and .45 acp cases; in .38 I have used it i +p loads and have eased just a hair past maximum in .45 ACP with no ill effects.

It's accurate, clean, easy enough to dip, and I have a fair bit of it on hand, which matters a lot nowadays.

For whatever it's worth, as far as reliable feeding in the range of charges suggested in the 9mm data you refer to.......I have found that in my .45s with 230-grain lead bullets, I can run 5.0 grains with reliable feeding, and I can run 3.5 grains with reliable feeding, and I can run any charge in between those with reliable feeding. Not exactly a hard spot to hit there, it seems.