PDA

View Full Version : Good load??? CZ 52

Bullshop Junior
01-27-2008, 11:48 PM
Worked up this load today. It works really well. The target in the picture was shat today. The boolit circled in the wood block entered from the right side. It penetrated 11*1/4"+ into frozen spruce wood.
The load is-
Primer: Remington 5*1/2
Powder:5.0gn of Unique
Boolit:Lyman 110Gn pointed GC W/O GC @.308"
Case:FC 223 reformed
Lube: Speed green
OAL:1.309"
Other: ejects very well-5 feet from my gun.

The boolit is the Lyman 110gn pointed GC for the 30 carbine.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/P1010039-2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/P1010040-1.jpg
Daniel/BS Jr.

9.3X62AL
01-28-2008, 10:14 AM
Daniel--

The 7.62 Tokarev/30 Mauser does a good job of plowing through stuff, for sure. My CZ-52 dotes on the Lee 100 grain RN, using your same load of 5.0 x Unique for gentle ejection and reliable functioning. Standard velocity loadings like the Winchester white box FMJs fling the brass 30-35 feet--the CZ-level loads (85 grainers at 1575-1600 FPS) launch the brass into adjacent ZIP Codes. I ran some of the Sierra RNSPs this fast, and the things these did to jackrabbits were rated "R".

MtGun44
01-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Good shooting. My CZ52 does about 5-6" at 25 yds with either surplus Romanian
7.62 ammo or the one handload in 9mm that I tried when I put in the 9mm Luger
barrel as a lark. Certainly a affordable handgun, pretty well made and strong, but
so far (no handloads) mine isn't too interesting from an accy standpoint.
Wouldn't want to stand in front of it tho!! That little bullet is really moving
out.

Maybe you'll find a super accurate load - I'm betting that load you have will
shoot right thru any deer you try it on, but not sure how well it might kill.
I guess a thru and thru with a .30 bullet in the right spot should do in about
anything.

Bill

bobk
01-28-2008, 09:49 PM
MtGun44,
You have a 9 barrel? A 9X23 reamer will turn that barrel into something much livelier, and it will feed better, too, as the OAL is a lot closer to the 7.62X25. Shoots tom the sights, too. Factory WW went 1387.

Bob K

mroliver77
01-28-2008, 10:55 PM
I read that fellas are using sabots to shoot .22 bullets in these guns. Some impressive peestol balistics.
J

NVcurmudgeon
01-29-2008, 01:36 AM
That's a fun load you have there, Daniel, I'll have to try it. With 5.0 x 231 I have to pack a lunch before I set out in search of my brass.

MtGun44
01-30-2008, 01:59 AM
The 9mm Luger barrel was a reasonable price, so I tried it just for the heck
of it. I'm not looking for another soup-up with something like the 9x23,
and it feeds 100% now. Actually, are you sure that the 9x23 would even fit
the magazine?

Bill

9.3X62AL
01-30-2008, 02:14 AM
Easily. 7.62 x 25 cartridge OAL is 1.370", the 9 x 23 only adds 4mm to the total length (about .156"). 1.160" + 0.156" = 1.316".

Wayne Smith
01-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Eleven + inches into frozen spruce without deformation! What did you cast that out of? Oh, and have you shot it for accuracy? Yeah, you definitely have penetration, now can you penetrate where you want to penetrate?

mroliver77
01-30-2008, 04:51 PM
Eleven + inches into frozen spruce without deformation! What did you cast that out of? Oh, and have you shot it for accuracy? Yeah, you definitely have penetration, now can you penetrate where you want to penetrate?

That was shot at 40 yards according to his picture. I wouldnt want him gunning for me!!!
J

Bullshop Junior
01-30-2008, 11:43 PM

It was cast out of air cooled WW. The target was shot at roughly 40 YRDS And measures at 3.787". It does hit where I aim. I can hit a pop can at what I call fair pistol range (40 YRDS), 6 out of eight. The other day a tacked a paper plate to a 2'X2' board, and went back 30 YRDS, and then shot as fast as I could. 5 shots where on the plate, and the other three where on the board.
Daniel/BS Jr.

Bullshop Junior
01-30-2008, 11:44 PM
Daniel--

Standard velocity loadings like the Winchester white box FMJs fling the brass 30-35 feet--the CZ-level loads (85 grainers at 1575-1600 FPS) launch the brass into adjacent ZIP Codes. I ran some of the Sierra RNSPs this fast, and the things these did to jackrabbits were rated "R".

That's a fun load you have there, Daniel, I'll have to try it. With 5.0 x 231 I have to pack a lunch before I set out in search of my brass.

I do not get this! You guys are telling me one thing, and my gun another. Who am I to believe?:mrgreen: I tried the hottest load in the accurate book, and it ejected 12 feet. And they all land within 10"s. Maybe I just have a really good spring. The gun is just as it came from SOG, except for that I have used it enough to where the import mark off.:mrgreen:
Daniel/BS Jr.

MtGun44
01-31-2008, 02:23 AM
Not sure where my brass lands, it is Berdan so I ignore it. In any case, it is
entirely possible both reports are true. Junior - have you shot any of the
mil surplus ammo in your gun? It doesn't seem too unlikely that we are
getting really hot ammo from the mil surp suppliers while at the same time
the US powder manufacturers are sticking to a (likely more conservative)
SAMMI standard pressure for their max loads. the milsurp might even be
subgun ammo, the euros often load pistol calibers super hot for subguns.

Good shooting, sounds like you could take about any small game you want
with that affordable pistol. Heck of a bargain, and when I was your age,
money was darned hard for me to come buy, so a bargain was critical to me. If
it wasn't pretty much of a bargain, I couldn't have it! I imagine that is still
pretty much true today, too. It wasn't till after I got out of college and started
getting a regular pay check that I could start buying non-milsurp guns. I
had a huge amount of difficulty deciding whether to spend $35 on an "NRA
excellent" 1895 Chilean Mauser 7x57 or an also "NRA excellent" Astra 600
pistol in 9mm for $36, with holster and spare magazine! Finally settled on
the Mauser, loved it and still have it 40 yrs later - but did eventually find my
Astra 600 with holster and spare mag 17 yrs later for a lot more money, but
by then I could afford it better. It took me many months to save up $35 in
those days, making 75 cents per hour working on a chicken farm.

Enjoy your milsurp pistol, sounds like you got a good one and have worked
up a pretty good load for it, too!

Bill

Wayne Smith
01-31-2008, 08:37 AM
Yup, you can put a hole about anywhere you want within about 70yds - try it. I can't, but that's because I can't see the sights anymore!

Freightman
01-31-2008, 11:34 AM
The 9x23 will work, a friend reamed his 9MM barrel out and it is more reliable, the re-coil is a little brisk but it works 100% for him.

mroliver77
02-01-2008, 08:36 AM
The 9x23 will work, a friend reamed his 9MM barrel out and it is more reliable, the re-coil is a little brisk but it works 100% for him.

I was thinkin the recoil might be a little "brisk" in one of these. :) I have a 9mm barrel but no gun anymore.
Lucky kid!! I used to get one or two shotgun shells to go hunting and I better bring something back if I fired them. We had the same box of 12 gauge forever. BB guns were for practice. I remember Dad heard the neighbors burn up a box of .22s one day. He remarked how frivolous they were. He would have a stroke if he knew how much I shoot now.;)
J

corvette8n
02-01-2008, 12:05 PM
My CZ52 brass used to end up on the metal roof of the shooting range, I would empty a mag and then listen for them to roll down, pretty neat. ended up trading that gun and some others for a new Marlin 1895 in 45/70.

bobk
02-02-2008, 12:32 PM
MtGun44,
Yes, it fits fine, only slightly short, whereas the 9MM looks to be about .250 short. This improves feeding. I took the gun apart and miked everything, and then shot it. No change. Czech ammo is way hot, so I felt pretty safe. Word of warning, though: do not dry fire the piece on an empty chamber. The firing pin is brittle. Numrich has them. I know!
9X23 is sort of a .38 Super, with a 9MM base, .391 vs. .380. As far as I know, there is no bad brass for this caliber. I've never slugged the barrel, as the unscientifically tested accuracy made me happy. Some of the Colts are reputed to run large, and that can affect accuracy. It gives me the performance of the .357 SIG and allows me to use carbide dies.
I just did it for the fun of it. Practically speaking, a .357 Magnum is a more useful and versatile tool, IMO. But if you want to borrow the reamer, I'll see if I can find it.
Bob K

MtGun44
02-04-2008, 02:06 AM
Bob,

Thanks for the offer, and I did really consider it for a bit, but I think I'd rather
have the ability to shoot regular 9x19 rather than the extra horsepower of the
9x23. I came very close to buying a complete brand new Colt factory 1911
upper for 9x23 a few years back when they were dumping them. I resisted
the urge then (thought about it quite a bit tho---) and will again. I have no
doubt the gun is strong enough with that quality looking and well fitted
roller lock system. I have heard of the brittle firing pins so have not yet done
even one dry fire with my CZ52.

I appreciate the generous offer to borrow the reamer and almost jumped at it,
but I have too many other projects in line waiting right now to add another.

Have you chronoed the 9x23? My IPSC .38 Super load was a 147 LSWC at
1225 fps, and while the brass slowly took on the belted magnum look since the
sizing die was belled enough to fail to size all the way to the extractor groove,
brass lasted literally forever. OTOH - any kind of WW brass (+P, +P+, etc) would
either blow out or come frighteningly close with a single firing due to my
barrel having an unsupported feed ramp. I have to sort out the WW and give
or sell it to friends, as some always creeps in as I pick up my brass at the matches.
I shot some brass until the headstamp was battered flat from ejector hits and it
still worked fine.

My load of 7.2gr of WW571 or HS7 (they are the same powder) eventually found
it's way into the Hodgdon loading manual at about 35,000 psi IIRC, which is why
it worked so safely for me - minus the WW brass anomoly - all other +P or normal
.38 Super brass was just fine.

Bill

bobk
02-04-2008, 11:01 AM
MtGun44,
I certainly know about the projects thing! I'm in the process of building a .405 on a Siamese that I've had for 35+ years, and I'm restoring my 788 back to it's original 6MM configuration. Trying to decide on finishes is holding me up.
The only load I remember chronographing was the WW Silvertips, at 1387. I did try different handloads, with no really bad results, but I did not attempt any scientific evaluation.
The pregnant case phenomenon can be caused by too slow a powder, and/or too long a barrel. While the absolute pressure may be fine, the gun is unlocking under pressure. How I know (It's an absurd example): Years ago someone was selling a 16 inch barrel for 1911s. Now, this does give you the possibility of a light, handy carbine (No, I didn't use the "Lebanese" buttstock. The mainspring housing is not well supported). The surprise was that some of my slow-powder loads were giving me bulgy cases out of the long tube. What I ended up with was 800-X, just a little slower than Unique. It gave a nominal 230 gr. TC lead bullet 1200 out of 16, and 925 out of 4 1/4, with decent accuracy. Yes, the barrel is way long, but it does point up the problem of slow powders. I read in the Sierra manual that they got slower FPS out of a Marlin Camp Carbine than out of a 5 inch, and a very dirty gun. Wanna bet that the cases looked funny?
Ever use 5.56 cases? Jeff Cooper did this back in the 70's, IIRC. I never did this. Lot of work just to duplicate a .357 revolver, which is a helluva fine tool.
Bob K