PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to show my ignorance here.....

Aaron871
08-19-2014, 07:27 AM
What is a "Hot Rod Renegade"?

Geraldo
08-19-2014, 09:34 AM
Look at IdahoRon's threads. His Renegade stock has a stainless, fast twist Green Mountain barrel, peep sights, and he uses paper patched boolits.

I refer to my Renegade with a 1:18" .45 GM barrel and globe sights as the "Poor Man's Quigley Rifle", as it duplicates .45-70 or .45-90 without the brass.

pietro
08-19-2014, 09:57 AM

Don't feel bad - yer not alone................:roll:

As I don't read every thread, I didn't know, either. :oops:

:drinks:

johnson1942
08-19-2014, 10:56 AM
ive also have a hot rod renagade and a hot rod hawken.their are probably many of them out their. my renagade has a 36 in long .45 cal barrel and a 1/18 twist. i shoot 500 grain pp bullets. it is wonderful not to have to clean brass. my hawken has a .50 cal barrel 1/28 twist and is 36 inches long. it shoots a 533 grain pp bullet. every now and then some one mentions a gun like this on castboolits. they are easy to build and look good and are very powerfull. mine shoot like a 45/110 and a 50/90 and drive tacks. rapid city south dak. is full of old hawkens and renagades, thats where i got mine to rebarrel. sold the barrels to a friend on castboolits. it was a win win for everyone.

Fly
08-19-2014, 11:37 AM
I take the blame here.I tagged Rons rifle the Hot Rod T/C & I guess it stuck.Ron has been playing with
his muzzle loaders for a long time & has them shooting out to very long distance, & very accurate.He is
helping me with a Lyman GPH muzzle loader as we speak.

I wish they would make a sticky of his efferts.He does have one above on paper patching bullets.
I just ordered a GPH barrel & I,m going to do it right to the letter he tells me to.I will post the
results for Rons Hot Rod Lyman when I,m threw.He has already helped his buddy with a GPH
& they had GREAT results.

Fly

johnson1942
08-19-2014, 12:35 PM
fly, your going to love it. you might say they are even boreing, boreing in that they always shoot to the same place, are easy to load, consistant and powerfull. i like that kind of boreing.

Fly
08-19-2014, 01:20 PM
Do you also have one?What conical do you shoot?I,m waiting on my barrel to come in.I plan on paper patching
the same S&W bullet Ron suggest, & have already machined a bullet sizer.

Man what a fun hobbie! Fly:mrgreen:

Wayne Smith
08-19-2014, 02:41 PM
What's the difference between these and the traditional slug guns? Shot at 220 yds, I believe.

Fly
08-19-2014, 03:12 PM
Well the slug guns I have been around have had massive heavy barrels.Some call them
bench rifles.Mine is nothing more than a semi fast twist 1 in 32 twist hunting rifle.

Fly

Omnivore
08-19-2014, 03:17 PM
Take any item, modify it to better suit your wants or needs, and it's a "hot rod". I guess that means I have a hot rod Lyman Deerstalker and a hot rod Zuoave, a couple of hot rod cappers and a hot rod powder horn. Some people around here have hot rod farm implements, and sometimes even compete with them.

Quigley's Sharps rifle was hot-rodded, with an extra long barrel chambered for the new-fangled 45-110 metal cartridge. "An experimental rifle, with experimental ammunition". It's an American tradition.

Fly
08-19-2014, 04:04 PM
YA The "Hot Rod" It's an American tradition. Great being Americans!

Fly

rodwha
08-19-2014, 04:26 PM
Omnivore: What did you do to your Deerstalker?

johnson1942
08-19-2014, 08:12 PM
i now paperpatch just like a lot of slug guns. i learned from them. my 2 .50/s use the single wrap chase system and i learned that from a article on those heavy barreled slug guns.

idahoron
08-20-2014, 06:18 PM
Take any item, modify it to better suit your wants or needs, and it's a "hot rod". I guess that means I have a hot rod Lyman Deerstalker and a hot rod Zuoave, a couple of hot rod cappers and a hot rod powder horn. Some people around here have hot rod farm implements, and sometimes even compete with them.

Quigley's Sharps rifle was hot-rodded, with an extra long barrel chambered for the new-fangled 45-110 metal cartridge. "An experimental rifle, with experimental ammunition". It's an American tradition.

I think for some reason you have the wrong idea. Maybe the idea makes you mad or something I don't know. But the Name Hot Rod may have came from Fly, I don't remember exactly it was a long time ago. The thought was that I took a normal TC and added a fast twist barrel. Then I added peep sights that work like vernier sight with hash marks for sight in marks out to 300 yards. I added a Lee Shavers BPCR insert to aid in aiming in long range. This gave me a gun that was FAR superior to the original in every way. Hence the name Hot Rod.
Thinking about this I read your "hot rod capper" and your "hot rod" powder horn, and farm implements and I know that something has made you mad about it. Do the hot rod powder horns and cappers and farm implements allow for use that is far superior to the original? Adding chrome wheels to a v6 camaro does not make a hot rod. Adding a 500 HP motor does. I Haven't heard what you did to the guns maybe they are hot rods if the performance is far superior to the original. If the term "Hot Rod Hawken and Renegade" upsets you I am sorry but that is what they are now. Fly thanks for naming them because that is what I have called them for a long time, I think it fits.
Ron

idahoron
08-20-2014, 06:58 PM

These are Hot Rod Renegades. The top one is a Renegade Hunter with a 32" long 1-18 twist .458. It has a Lyman Peep and a Lee SHavers Globe sight with level.
The Bottom One is a Renegade Hunter with a Stainless 1-28 twist 50 cal barrel. Lyman peep and globe. The globe has a Lee Shavers BPCR insert. Both will shoot sub 1" groups if I do my part. Ron

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/Guard11_zpse0894f9c.jpg

Fly
08-20-2014, 09:24 PM
How about Ron,s full race renegade?Nawwwwwwwww Hot Rod Reney is better, (wink).

Fly

Aaron871
08-21-2014, 07:26 AM
These are Hot Rod Renegades. The top one is a Renegade Hunter with a 32" long 1-18 twist .458. It has a Lyman Peep and a Lee SHavers Globe sight with level.
The Bottom One is a Renegade Hunter with a Stainless 1-28 twist 50 cal barrel. Lyman peep and globe. The globe has a Lee Shavers BPCR insert. Both will shoot sub 1" groups if I do my part. Ron

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/Guard11_zpse0894f9c.jpg

Beautiful...