PDA

View Full Version : I broke my bench

Henri311
08-18-2014, 06:45 PM
This is my first post! I just started casting a month ago but have been powder coating commercial lead rounds for about a year. I tried a new powder I got free from a customer that was just lying around. Well I coated about fifty rounds of 9mm and started sizing today. As the third round stuck in the sizing die I heard a cracking under the bench as I pushed the rod down slowly the press broke the bench at the bolts. Fortunately I can fix that, always new learning experiences. The PC is too thick!!! I guess I'll stick with the harbour freight powder. And yes I lube the sizing die before I resize my bullets.

bangerjim
08-18-2014, 07:18 PM
I have never used lubes on any of the many sizing dies I use with PC. Even VERY thick ones I have produced while messing around with different coating techniques.

Not sure what happened, but sounds like you can fix everything! Use thick oak for your bench!

Welcome. And don't be a stranger to the group!

banger

Spawn-Inc
08-18-2014, 07:30 PM
interesting, but as banger said i've never lubed my PC for sizing accept for my 700gr 50 cal bullets when using a gas check in a lee sizing die with the cheap C press they have.

Garyshome
08-18-2014, 08:17 PM
Maybe that boolit is just a little larger then the others. I have run into that myself.

Henri311
08-20-2014, 07:37 PM
My alloy is way hard. I need to cut it with more pure lead. I think that's why the sizing die got stuck.