PDA

View Full Version : Peabody Carbine Conversion Rimfire to Center Fire

mm1ut1
08-18-2014, 05:22 PM
Success !
Carbine was originally chambered in 56/50 Spencer ( Or one of the very close variations) and was converted to centerfire by the replacement of the block and hammer. Frank at Providence Tool Company did the conversion and made or modified the equipment needed to make ammo. Shot at the range for the first time today and using a 340 grain Lyman over 30 gr of 2F. Very happy with the results. Carbine has a heavy trigger and the sights aren't the best, but with a little work I think I can shrink the group in half.

photo shows Frank from Providence test firing, the test target. We shot from an estimated 80-90 yards.
We were really in a time crunch. I swear the bullets were still warm from casting when they were seated.
http://youtu.be/Lpw8WVhBIjo

JeffinNZ
08-18-2014, 06:37 PM
Great to see the old shooter making smoke again.

Frank46
08-18-2014, 11:31 PM
I have one of the peabody carbines also in the 56-50 rimfire caliber. Needs some work done on the muzzle as it looks to have been flattened by something sometime in its existence. Bore is in suprisingly good for its age. Sounds as though I should give them a call and see what it would take to get it converted to centerfire and get the muzzle looked at. You look as though you are having some fun with your peabody. Frank