PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Lee Mold

Possum
09-16-2005, 04:48 PM
I was casting straight wheelweights with some tin added and dropping them into a bucket of water. Everything was great until about half way through started getting some major finning. Now I can see daylight between the two cavities in the mold. I have cleaned and re-cleaned the mold over and over. Could it be warped now. I don't think I got any water on the mold while dropping the bullets. I was dropping them through a towel over the bucket with a hole in it. That way the splash was caught by the towel.

Anyone have one of these molds warp and can I send it back? BTW, it is a 240gr gas check 44 which I really like in my contender.

Maxthompson
09-16-2005, 04:52 PM
I have to beat the Cman to this one.

The problem is that the towel covers the bucket so you couldn't see the hole in it and all the water leaked out..

Mike

pdgraham
09-16-2005, 05:21 PM
I was casting straight wheelweights with some tin added and dropping them into a bucket of water. Everything was great until about half way through started getting some major finning. Now I can see daylight between the two cavities in the mold. I have cleaned and re-cleaned the mold over and over. Could it be warped now. I don't think I got any water on the mold while dropping the bullets. I was dropping them through a towel over the bucket with a hole in it. That way the splash was caught by the towel.

Anyone have one of these molds warp and can I send it back? BTW, it is a 240gr gas check 44 which I really like in my contender.

Call Lee.. Ask to speak to a Tech... 262-673-3075..

Their Tech support is pretty good...

:)

carpetman
09-16-2005, 06:25 PM
MaxThompson---Yea you beat me to it. I took time to write a song." Oh my bucket has a hole in it. Won't hold no more beer."

SharpsShooter
09-16-2005, 07:16 PM
Possum,

Check the alignment pin at the bottom of the left half of the mould. Occasionally it will rise up out of its intended slot. If that's the problem, warm up the mould and GENTLY tap it back into the slot. The "out of position" pin can prevent the mould from closing properly and produce what you describe.

Regards

Possum
09-17-2005, 08:46 AM
Okay, I deserved that one. I re-read the post and :lol: you guys got me.

Sharpsshooter, you might have a point there. One of the pins is riding out next the end of the mold compated to the other one. Let me warm it up and tap it and see what happens. I will let you know. Thanks, guys.

MTWeatherman
09-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Handle to block fit is sloppy on the Lee one and two cavity moulds. This can lead to the blocks not closing correctly.

Try laying the blocks on a flat surface before closing them...and see if the daylight between the blocks disappears. Another option is to turn the blocks sideways with the spue plate vertical and pointing downward before closing...sometimes helps.

JohnH
09-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Handle to block fit is sloppy on the Lee one and two cavity moulds. This can lead to the blocks not closing correctly.

Try laying the blocks on a flat surface before closing them...and see if the daylight between the blocks disappears. Another option is to turn the blocks sideways with the spue plate vertical and pointing downward before closing...sometimes helps.

Dead right. When casting, make looking at the blocks parting line a habit. Don't take but a second to hold the mold up to see if you can see light. I do this regardless of mold maker or mold material. It don't matter, a bit of splatter will make problems for you, left unchecked it can turn a minor problem into a real headache.

Working too fast is it's own problem maker. If you haven't, read BruceB's article on speed casting. This method will allow you to cast all you care to in an hour or so without rushing and without creating extra headaches.

Jumptrap
09-17-2005, 06:48 PM
About once a year I have to repost this information, due perhaps to the newcomers and lastly, the incorrigibles who refuse to listen.

To fix a Lee mould:

First, clear off a nice spot on the garage floor or other concrete surface.

Make sure bystanders are either not looking or wait until you are alone.

Select at least an 8 pound sledge hammer from your tool closet.

Place the Lee mould(s) on the floor.

Check to see if you have adaquate overhead clearance as you heft the sledge into full arc.

Check your footing, position of Lee mould, raise the sledge hammer over your shoulder and make your best John Henry imitation as you bash the Hell out of the Lee mould.

Mould will probably take flight from it's original position. Resecure mould and repeat last step. Continue this until the remains are no longer discernable to the naked eye.

Return sledge hammer to tool closet.

Sweep remains of Lee mould into shovel and place in garbage can/dumpster/ or other suitable refuse container.

Place you right hand over your heart, raise your left hand and solemnly swear; I shall never waste another dime on junk moulds. I promise to destroy every Lee mould I encounter so much as I am able to do so. I will warn others of their folly and lead them to light. I will never deviate from this cause so long as I cast bullets. So help me God.

pdgraham
09-17-2005, 06:53 PM
Check your footing, position of Lee mould, raise the sledge hammer over your shoulder and make your best John Henry imitation as you bash the Hell out of the Lee mould.

That's pretty much where I'm at with my 9mm Lee Molds right now.. :(

Blackwater
09-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Gee whiz, Jump! I'd think you didn't like Lee moulds or sumthin', son! ;)

Jumptrap
09-18-2005, 04:40 PM
Gee whiz, Jump! I'd think you didn't like Lee moulds or sumthin', son! ;)
\
Dennis,

Done been there and done it and many thanks to my pal beagle for helping me right my ways.

Lee has a couple items I think are worth the money spent. The push thru sizers and the hand primer gizmo. The little shotshell loader works as advertised but the walmart cheapo shells rendered it obsolete too.

Junior1942
09-18-2005, 05:00 PM
All you have to do with a one or two cavity Lee mold is to take the time to turn the mold over after dumping a bullet or bullets and look at the seam between the two halves and make sure it's closed. If not, give it a gentle whack with whatever tool you use to open the sprue plate. It's an extra casting step, yes, but worth it.

Possum
09-18-2005, 06:54 PM
Yikes, those are some tough responses. I think I will send it back to the factory tomorrow. I did everything I have been told to do except for the sledgehammer idea. Nothing seems to work. I think the sledgehammer would work, but then I would have to buy a gun that shoots pancakes. By the way, my next mold will be another brand. Seems like I need to look at some others.

44man
09-18-2005, 07:17 PM
I don't know what the problem is! I have a drawer full of Lee molds and have no problems with any of them. I have had a few that were out of round and Lee replaced them, no questions asked, they are perfect now.
I have Lee, Lyman, RCBS, Rapine and Hoch moulds, plus my own home made ones. The Lee boolits shoot as good or better then all of them.

Junior1942
09-18-2005, 07:23 PM
Same here, 44man. Lee aluminum molds are much easier to use than iron molds. Don't rust here in Louisiana, either. Like any product, use it within its limitations/ idiosyncrasies. In other words, make sure the mold halves meet.

Willbird
09-18-2005, 07:24 PM
I agree for Lee 1 and 2 cavity molds......................SMASH !!

Bill

Possum
09-18-2005, 07:53 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm keeping my Lee molds. The other ones are fine and I am sure they will take care of this one. I just want to try some other ones, too.

Jumptrap
09-18-2005, 08:32 PM
For the record, I started with Lee moulds. Most everybody does...then hopefully they learn better or have somebody educate them before they blow too much good money on poor equipment.

The bullets made from the Lee moulds are fine. They have such a dismal selection...all clones. Lee seems to have the notion that if it (the design) works in one caliber, it'll work in all of them...and I suppose that has some merit.

cabezaverde
09-19-2005, 06:09 AM
Jumptrap

I think I need to sue you. You forgot to tell me to wear safety glasses when using your procedure.

Jumptrap
09-19-2005, 12:28 PM
Jumptrap

I think I need to sue you. You forgot to tell me to wear safety glasses when using your procedure.

Just ****can them in the future:)!