PDA

View Full Version : Case gauge getting gunked up with casr reloads

jimmyUT
08-18-2014, 10:24 AM
Hi.
I noticed in my 9mm case gauge, it seems to get gunked up after checking a bunch cast bullet reloads. The rounds need a gentle push to go completely inyo the case gauge. I never got this with jacketed. I loaded up jacketed right after on my dillon with everything set up the same. After cleaning out the gauge with a brass brush, those drop like supposed to and get that "plunk"

I micd both loads out and they are identical with the exception of a little oal variance

Using a dillon case gauge.
Cast load:
NOE 358128g hp sized and lubed to .357, rcbs lam 2 with carnuba red heated

Jacketed load
MG 124gr jhp

both case necks mic out the same after seating and crimp

Is this a normal thing with cast ( maybe the bullet lube)

Thanks for any input

cuzinbruce
08-18-2014, 10:30 AM
Yes, the bullet lube. Wipe them clean with a rag and maybe a little lighter fluid before gaging them.

jimmyUT
08-18-2014, 10:37 AM
really, Lighter fluid? Is that a normal method?
and are you talking like grill lighter fluid, or butane for a refillable lighter?

thanks

Shiloh
08-18-2014, 10:45 AM
Lighter fluid is naptha. A good solvent to have around a reloading bench. Kerosene of mineral spirits work well also.
The above mentioned are better than xylene, a solvent that dissolves wax.

Shiloh

jimmyUT
08-18-2014, 11:02 AM
sweet. I will have to go get a bottle :)

Thanks guys

dondiego
08-18-2014, 11:49 AM
A quart of VM & P naptha is lighter fluid for your Zippo or your hand warmer and is much cheaper than cans of "lighter fluid".

BruceB
08-18-2014, 03:54 PM
Plain Isopropyl alcohol from a supermarket pharmacy works too.

I just pour a bit on a rag, and when it evaporates, add a little more.

I think alcohol is the base solvent for Midway's "Frankford Arsenal" spray case lube (which I REALLY like), so alcohol also works well to remove the stuff from my cartridges.

dondiego
08-18-2014, 04:00 PM
Alcohol is the solvent base for Dillon's spray lube too.

jimmyUT
08-18-2014, 11:45 PM
I make my own case lube with lanolin and alcohol... and yep, thats in dillons. Mine is just WAY cheaper. Ill give some alcohol a try first as I have that sittin around already.
Always great tips on this forum. Thanks guys

prs
08-19-2014, 10:08 AM
Another inexpensive solvent for most traditional lubes is water with a little dish detergent in it. Dampen a shop towel and go at it.

prs

rockshooter
08-19-2014, 10:56 AM
I just use Hoppes on a cleaning patch- works fine.
Loren