PDA

View Full Version : Goex lot differences

ryan28
08-17-2014, 11:32 PM
I got some Goex ffg at a gun show recently, 20 pounds of different lot numbers. I had my powder measure set up to throw a 76 grain charge on the first can I opened. Next can the same setting weighed 80 grains. I had no idea it could vary that much. I am thinking on mixing it all together to get at least some consistency. Any reason why I shouldn't do this? I use this in my 45-70 for casual target shooting and hunting.

Don McDowell
08-17-2014, 11:49 PM
What powder measure are you using. You can swing the weights pretty wildly within one hopper full by inconsistent operation of the handle.
You can also sort your powder to the same lots, and then make the changes necessary when you run out of one lot and go to the next.

ryan28
08-18-2014, 12:06 AM
I have a MVA powder measure, and I sure did notice how much a slow throw could vary from a fast one. 3 to 4 grains less, easy. That was the first thing I looked at, but that wasn't the culprit here, it's the powder that's different. No big deal, my group sizes opened up about 1/2 moa. Next time I'll get a whole case.

powderburnerr
08-18-2014, 12:21 AM
blend it all together and have one lot with even pours, takes about 20 minutes stir it with a wooden spoon. as you dump

ryan28
08-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Got it mixed up today and checked a few measure throws, looks good.