PDA

View Full Version : Primer size question

alleyoop
08-17-2014, 02:05 PM
Would you like for all handgun rounds from this point forward be small primer ?

goblism
08-17-2014, 03:09 PM
I personally don't want to see any change. Last thing I want to worry about is having to sort my 475 linebaugh/44 mag brass for small primers. Sucks enough with the occasional 45 acp SPP. Primers are an identical price, so a non-issue in my mind.

loaded303
08-17-2014, 03:20 PM
I'd like to see all SPP in 45 acp. I load 9/38/40/357/45acp and on occasion 45 Colt and 44 mag. More SPP than any other. So the less change overs I have to make the better for me. Just me. Send me your SPP ACPs.

Iron Whittler
08-17-2014, 03:32 PM
Keep things as they are. A case in point, the 45 acp. Since way back when, it has been Large pistol primer. Now you have to watch out for small primer cases, a big pain in the lower extremities. If it ain't broke don't start trying to fix it. Iron Whittler

too many things
08-17-2014, 03:49 PM
ok lets just go with one powder. would work the same way . don't see it going any place

mold maker
08-17-2014, 05:08 PM
With over a hundred years of history being shot in 1911s, why fix a problem that doesn't exist. I agree, the combination of Primer sizes is nothing but a PIA, and will remain that way from now on.

Duckiller
08-17-2014, 05:16 PM
Who is going to decide that all handguns use small primers? Our government is into enough stupid things without deciding on primer sizes. Next thing you know we will only have one handgun powder then only one hand gun caliber. No disrespect intended but people should think a little before posting silly polls. If you can't tell the difference between large and small primers maybe you shouldn't be reloading. If you don't know how to switch primer sizes maybe you shouldn't be reloading.

08-17-2014, 05:25 PM
To add to a previous post, it makes as much sense as having only one handgun caliber.

If something as drastic and inane as this were to happen, it could be that all existing reloading data would become worthless. Then what?

loaded303
08-17-2014, 05:42 PM
Who said anything about not knowing the difference or how to switch? Lol

Minerat
08-17-2014, 06:23 PM
I have a solution for the few sp 45 acp's I find at the range, pliers and the circular file. Get one mixed in with the good stuff and pretty soon you have damage or wasted primers or the little buggers multiply. Why propagate the problem. :)

dragon813gt
08-17-2014, 06:24 PM
Some of the responses are amusing. 45acp never needed a large pistol primer and never should have had one. Now it's finally correct. Sorting brass isn't the end of the world. There is no way you will ever have one primer size. The cartridge is going to determine what primer size is needed.

alleyoop
08-17-2014, 07:30 PM
Ok seems some are touchy about this, nobody said anything about not being able to tell the difference or change over.
But if size was standardize then manufactures could double production instead of doing half as many of both sizes. Of course some equipment changes would be needed. Polls are created and use together opinions good or bad. Anyone who feels polls are inappropriate is free to skip right over them.

dudel
08-17-2014, 08:05 PM
I'm entirely small primer. Converted my 45 ACP to sp during primer shortage several years ago. Kept my stock of sp high. Currently loading .380 .38spl. .357mag/max .45acp .45gap .22 hornet and.223. Nice not to have change out primer systems.

Outpost75
08-17-2014, 09:24 PM
I converted all my .45 ACP to small primers, and this works well with standard pressure loads with easily ignited powders. While the small size primer was adopted for the .454 Casull, I'm not sure that ignition and ballistic uniformity would be entirely satisfactory in larger cases where light charges are used at low loading densities, such as for Cowboy loads in the .45 Colt or .44-40. I have found in .45 ACP if a magnum small pistol primer is not used, you can expect a velocity drop of 30-50 fps with the small primer, in hardball equivalent loads using 5 grains of Bullseye and the H&G68.

Garyshome
08-17-2014, 09:56 PM
NO. I don't know why everyone has to mess with stuff that works!

dragon813gt
08-17-2014, 10:25 PM

(commence thread drift) You mean like conventional lube versus coating? (/thread drift)

dudel
08-18-2014, 04:10 AM

Yeah, smokeless powder is just a passing fad. Just stick with BP.

1johnlb
08-18-2014, 04:53 AM
Personally, I think anything that want accept a large pistol primer should be discarded.

It would be just like the gument to standardize the primers then buy them all up. Then store them out of the citizens reach.

Fyodor
08-18-2014, 05:07 AM
Anybody still angry about the change from large to small primers in .38spl and .357Mag? No? You'll get used to it. Theres absolutely no reason why a .45SCP needs a large pistol primer, expect that it is some kind of American symbol, and a lot of Americans think everything needs to be large. No, it doesn't.

I would prefer small primers in all small cases (the .45ACP is a low pressure, low volume case). Because it's way easier to swap shellplates than to change primer size on progressive presses.

GoodOlBoy
08-18-2014, 07:10 AM
Some of my brass is more than forty years old.... much like the other fellers I don't want to have to sort because some bean counter suddenly decided to unify all rounds under X or Y.

GoodOlBoy

UNIQUEDOT
08-18-2014, 11:06 AM
If forced to choose I'd like to see all small primers gone from the scene entirely! I suppose it would pose a problem for tiny cases, but when you drop a small primer at the bench it NEVER seems to resurface.

johniv
08-18-2014, 06:18 PM
Whatza matter with havin both? During the next "primer shortage" when I have trouble finding small primers, I will just use the large, and the appropriate case (got plenty) and in the NEXT shortage when we cant get large primers , I will just use small, no problem.
John

wrench man
08-19-2014, 12:19 AM
I've been loading 40S&W for some years now, 357 for a year or so?, and 38Spl for a few months, it would be nice if they were large primers?, only other "small" primer I load for currently is 25-20, I do have the set up for the 454 Casull, it in fact uses small RIFLE primers.

country gent
08-19-2014, 12:51 AM
Id be willing to bet the original 45 acp brass Mr. Browning worked with was cut down 30-06 cases. When the goverment adopted the pistol and round and manufacturers picked it up they went with what was working so well. From what I was told the SP 45s were "green" loads and the lead free primers at the time were SP size. I have 38 spl cases here that are LP. The diffrent primer sizes can be a pain. I normally dont load sp 45s and the 38s are very old and dont get loaded. I converted some 38 to LP with a bigger flash hole for wax bullet loads, This way the enlarged flash holes dont get mixed in and loaded for full power 38s. I have used the SP 45s for wax bullets in my model 25 also.

triggerhappy243
08-19-2014, 01:24 AM
outpost75, the 454 cassul requires a small mag. rifle primer. and who the heck started the change from lg. pistol to small pistol for the 45 any way.

texaswoodworker
08-19-2014, 02:22 AM
Anybody still angry about the change from large to small primers in .38spl and .357Mag? No? You'll get used to it. Theres absolutely no reason why a .45SCP needs a large pistol primer, expect that it is some kind of American symbol, and a lot of Americans think everything needs to be large. No, it doesn't.

I would prefer small primers in all small cases (the .45ACP is a low pressure, low volume case). Because it's way easier to swap shellplates than to change primer size on progressive presses.

Considering that the vast majority of 45 ACP brass out there is still LP, I don't see SP taking over any time soon. I prefer the LP. It's worked for over 100 years, and it will continue to work for another 100 years.

smokeywolf
08-19-2014, 05:15 AM
Is it broken?

smokeywolf

Fyodor
08-19-2014, 06:45 AM
Is it broken?

Standing still is falling behind.

The better is the enemy of the good.

dragon813gt
08-19-2014, 09:40 AM
So if I'm following this correctly? Cartridge primer size should be based on what other cartridges an individual reloads for?

davep
08-19-2014, 11:57 AM
Personally, I've never seen much use for polls. Excluding the ones with the obviously sloped (well beyond slanted) questions, and the ones that some small politicians use to hope to understand how to keep their jobs, they rarely have any impact.

Dan Cash
08-19-2014, 12:10 PM
Good Lord, I bought a second Dillon 550 to deal with the large/small primer business. Am thinking about buying 2 more to deal with the rifle/pistol problem. If manufacturers would just go to large rifle as a standard for everything, I would have 3 Dillons for sale:)

SSGOldfart
08-19-2014, 12:12 PM
KISS: if it's not broke why fix it

M-Tecs
08-19-2014, 12:26 PM
Would you like for all handgun rounds from this point forward be small primer ?

Not only no but H*** no!!!!!!!!

Outpost75
08-19-2014, 12:35 PM
outpost75, the 454 cassul requires a small mag. rifle primer. and who the heck started the change from lg. pistol to small pistol for the 45 any way.

The change to small primer in .45 ACP took off with the need for nontoxic indoor range ammo, because the nontoxic pistol primers are made only in the small size to simplify production and inventory. It also helps keep work-in-process separate in the plant.

johniv
08-19-2014, 10:00 PM
The original Winchester "Win clean" 45 acp used a large primer, and the flash hole was much larger than normal. I was concerned about over ignition and asked Winchester about it and they said "not an issue" soon after the primers were all small size and crimped in place , later I examined some pistol slides damaged by gas cutting around the primer from reloaded ammo with non toxic primers, by an ammo remanufacturing co. My deduction from this was that the NT primers are more violent than the lead styphanate that we all know and love.The NT ammo I see now in 45 acp is all small primer and crimped (thou not as heavily as military crimps)
FWIW
John

EDG
08-20-2014, 08:13 PM
Just get rid of handguns and we will only need 2 primers.

08-20-2014, 10:13 PM
Just get rid of handguns and we will only need 2 primers.

Then, some fool will want to have only one size.

Minerat
08-23-2014, 10:53 AM
Whatza matter with havin both? During the next "primer shortage" when I have trouble finding small primers, I will just use the large, and the appropriate case (got plenty) and in the NEXT shortage when we cant get large primers , I will just use small, no problem.
John

Now that makes sense. Maybe I best rethink the pliers/circular file thinigy. Just need to get another coffee can to store the small primer stuff.
Steve

Kimber bob
08-23-2014, 09:25 PM
I do not like the sorting process. It is a real pain when using a progressive press, every thing is going along well and then a small pocket primer case finds it way in. The entire process comes to a halt, and everything hast to be restarted. This can be a safety issue as well as a time loss. Just my 2 cents worth.

triggerhappy243
08-23-2014, 09:29 PM
here is an idea... reload all your small pistol primed 45 brass with a 230 gr. roundnose and sell it to someone you dont like. good bye problem brass.