PDA

View Full Version : Cast iron muffin pan

konsole
08-17-2014, 01:19 PM
I found this little muffin pan at a thrift store and I couldnt resist. It seems to be cast iron and cast iron muffin pans dont seem to be that common.

Do you guys know what material this muffin pan is made of?

weighs just under 1-lb and is 8" long, but there are no markings

My guess would be cast iron but its used and has zero rust . It does have the look and feel of cast iron though. However I'm not use to seeing cast iron with a "silvery" color to it and its hard to tell if that color is just a coating or not. Maybe cast aluminum? The metal is rather thick at 3/8"

http://s30.postimg.org/5b7ajvvht/muffin_pan.jpg

Chill Wills
08-17-2014, 01:55 PM
It's cast iron if a magnet sticks to it.
I have reason to think it is cast iron as I have a few just like it. I could be wrong......... Try the magnet.

konsole
08-17-2014, 04:02 PM
magnet doesnt stick to it

cast aluminum?

If this is cast aluminum then that means no rusting. Then add to that how thick it is so it wont dent or warp (maybe crack), this thing should last a very very long time.

Found it for $3, good find

Oleman
08-19-2014, 09:04 AM
My find at the Goodwill yesterday

konsole
08-19-2014, 10:04 AM

Looks like a 6 shooter, but with 7 barrels. Call it the 7 shooter mold.

WILCO
08-19-2014, 12:28 PM

What's the brand?

gkainz
08-19-2014, 12:30 PM
You got yourself a nice looking ebelskiver pan there, oleman! Before putting lead in that, I'll be right over for breakfast, ok? :)

Oleman
08-19-2014, 01:45 PM
What's the brand?

Valu' Valodge

konsole
08-25-2014, 10:35 PM
So the muffin pan in my picture, its not cast iron because it doesnt attract a magnet. Any other guesses?

Jaak
08-29-2014, 07:34 PM
So the muffin pan in my picture, its not cast iron because it doesnt attract a magnet. Any other guesses?

Then it's either Aluminium or a weakly magnetic Iron/Steel. I have seen some steel that looks non-magnetic when tested with a not so great magnet but when a strong magnet (neodymium in my case) was used it was clearly steel of some sort.

alamogunr
08-29-2014, 07:46 PM
magnet doesnt stick to it

cast aluminum?

If this is cast aluminum then that means no rusting. Then add to that how thick it is so it wont dent or warp (maybe crack), this thing should last a very very long time.

Found it for $3, good find

No rust is NOT an advantage unless you are really concerned about appearance. I have several cast iron muffin pans that look just like that. I let them sit outside until they got a good coating of rust. No ingots ever stuck. Not sure about the aluminum. Ingots may not stick in them either.

CastingFool
08-29-2014, 07:47 PM
I have seen some muffin "tins" made out of cast aluminum, and they were quite thick. My guess is that this one is one of those.

jeepyj
08-29-2014, 08:41 PM
Lots of ingot molds are cast aluminum I use an Lyman one along with cast iron corn bread pans. Both work fine. As long as your pot will handle the size of ingots that that mold will cast your in the money round.
Jeepyj

Le Loup Solitaire
08-29-2014, 09:52 PM
The muffin pan shown in post #1 is a knock off done by anyone's guess. It is a copy of a design that was originally done by Griswold and then Wagner many years ago. It is a 6 holer version of a much larger 11 holer made by both companies, in both cast iron and then aluminum. The series done by Griswold had 15 variations. The casting of the one shown above seems to be a bit grainy which was not the way the original ones were made. It makes good muffins and good ingots and won't rust; it is probably Alu. LLS