PDA

View Full Version : Bump die

Willyp
08-17-2014, 06:25 AM
Is there any one,on here,that could make a bump die to enlarge a cast bullet to be a bore rider? I think to bump the bullet nose up to a .301 or .302?
It would be nice to be able to have it thread into a loading press.
I think this would help with the moulds that cast a small nose. I've seen a type of these in an old bullet casting book!

MT Chambers
08-21-2014, 11:56 PM
You would be better off to open the mold yourself so it drops at whatever dia. you want the nose to be.

Bent Ramrod
08-22-2014, 03:11 AM
You might check over at the Cast Bullet Association web site. The Fouling Shot had a lot of articles on bump dies a couple decades back; maybe somebody on there still makes them or knows someone who does.

IIRC, they were used in conjunction with custom moulds to bring the boolit nose up to where it would just match the configuration of the throat of the rifle and fill it completely. And I remember a lot of legalistic verbiage that distinguished this operation from "swaging," which would disqualify the boolit in CBA benchrest competition.

Firebricker
08-24-2014, 09:26 PM
Do a search on "Beageling" a mould I think it is in the stickie section. It is they a member here Beagle came up with for moulds to get a little more diameter. It is just putting silver heating/cooling tape between the two mould halves to make them bigger. Then they size round after a pass through your sizing die. FB

WILCO
08-25-2014, 03:15 AM
Do a search on "Beageling" a mould I think it is in the stickie section.

You're right F.B. It's in the stickies: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?117331-Mould-Enlargement-“beagling”