PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating versus barrel wear

Frank46
08-16-2014, 11:54 PM
Greetings, a buddy and myself were exchanging e-mails regarding powder coating of bullets. I have hear no mention of barrel wear or what types of powder coatings and how they will cause barrel wear. So would someone please kinda of like your favorite coatings and what if any anti wear properties these coatings that they may have. Thanks,Frank

Yodogsandman
08-17-2014, 12:17 AM
Almost all powders cure to only 24-28 BHN. I wouldn't expect any wear.

bangerjim
08-17-2014, 12:32 AM
This has discussed and cussed many many times in many many threads. You, being here since 2005, have probably viewed them.

To date there is absolutely no definitive scientific or mechanical proof that powder coating causes any kind of barrel ware. Thousands of us have shot 10 of thousands of rounds down countless barrels with no evidence of wear.

Do not be afraid to jump on the bandwagon and eliminate leading!

This is a relative new technology and mabe someday in the distant future someone somewhere will prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is some barrel erosion. I would expect it, if any, to be equal to or less than FMJ's. And people have no qualms about shooting those.....for decades!

Less cleaning......no leading......more shooting.....MORE FUN!

bangerjim

xacex
08-17-2014, 02:33 AM
Banger, it is wear, not ware as in kitchen ware. I only pick on you because you keep doing it.Spell check does not check for grammar. :killingpc

no problems, and I have shot thousands. I have even shot tons of HF black powder coated ones without issue. PC, shoot, and be happy.

RED333
08-17-2014, 10:38 AM
Banger, it is wear, not ware as in kitchen ware. I only pick on you because you keep doing it.Spell check does not check for grammar. :killingpc

no problems, and I have shot thousands. I have even shot tons of HF black powder coated ones without issue. PC, shoot, and be happy.

Spell check wont fix other things as well.LOL:redneck:

flyingmonkey35
08-17-2014, 11:57 AM
The only open complaint is with HF black.
Using a tumble method .

bangerjim
08-17-2014, 12:03 PM

See.......I keep you on your toes!!!!!!!!

banger

MrWolf
08-17-2014, 06:46 PM
Proper grammar is "use guys" on your toes. Jeez, don't you know nuttin? :mrgreen: (Won't let me post the big grin for some reason)

xacex
08-18-2014, 05:13 PM
Proper grammar is "use guys" on your toes. Jeez, don't you know nuttin? :mrgreen: (Won't let me post the big grin for some reason)

Only in Jersey! I though it was "utes."

MrWolf
08-18-2014, 06:58 PM
"Utes" is new yark, "use guys" is jersey [smilie=w: and we are from jersey not New Jersey and no matter what direction the shore is you are going down the shore