PDA

View Full Version : Load data needed for Savage Sporter (25-20)

birch
08-16-2014, 06:45 PM
I finally found a nearly perfect Savage 23b and am hoping some 25-20 shooters can give me some load data. I have the Lyman newest edition, but all it lists for is an 85gr FN boolit. I like to have many different bullet weights to mess around with and am always on the hunt at gunshows for old moulds. Right now I have an old Ideal .77gr.

Any load data would be appreciated as I plan on finding as many 25 WCF moulds as possible.

By the way, the gun is in 99% condition except for one extra hole drilled and tapped on top of the receiver. I have never seen another like it.

brotherdarrell
08-16-2014, 09:45 PM
Birch, I envy your new rifle. I had one for a short time and then it was stolen. FBI now has it and I hope to get it back one of these days.:(

Any ways.... my pet load was a Lyman 257420 sized to .258" (wouldn't chamber larger) on top of 2.7 gr bullseye. They would give a group about the size of a fifty cent piece at 50 yds. Also very cheap to shoot. The mold was bought new spring of 2013 and dropped perfect boolits @ .259" and about 73 grains.

Enjoy your new rifle

Darrell

Almost forgot - http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/reloading/26002-25-20-reloaders.html

Very good reading.

birch
08-16-2014, 10:26 PM
Darrel, the info is appreciated. I have a .77gr Ideal coming, so I am thinking your data could be duplicated.

I just got in from my first loading session for the gun. A good friend gave me a bunch of 53gr. FP to try out. They are a little over .258 and are a little tough to chamber. I will need to get a star die to size down to .258 or possibly .257 after I slug my bore.

When I got my CZ 527 in .22 hornet, I started experimenting with different powders that were not listed in any reloading manual. It was the first time I started "thinking for myself" when it came to reloading. Soooooo, for the .53 grainers my buddy gave me, I dropped 2.8 grains to start, and worked up to 3.5 grains before I started getting a little leading and a slight bulge around the firing pin divit. So, if I were writing a reloading manual, I would suggest a .53gr FN with 2.8gr of titegroup as a njice little .22mag velocity load.
However, the point of aim was a little high and right. The elevation I could have messed with, but I really don't like to mess with windage too much on my rifles. I will just keep working until I find a load that shoots north or south vertically with no horizontal stray.

Thanks again, and I look forward to any and all input.

Larry Gibson
08-16-2014, 11:57 PM
I have a 23b Savage Sporter in 2520. The barrel was bobbed to 20" before I got it. I recrowned it and it is a very good cast bullet shooter. I too have found the 257420 GC'd Lyman bullet to be the best bullet for it. Cast of COWWs + 2% tin or Lyman #2 alloy and WQ'd I push these at 1850 fps over 10 gr of H4227 or 11 gr AA5744. A bit milder load is 4.5 gr Unique for 1550 fps. I also size at .258. These loads keep most of 'em right around an inch at 50 yards.

I have a 257283HP mould that I use cast real soft over 2.5 gr Bullseye for 1050 fps, very good accuracy and deadly on squirrels to 100 yards.

I use WSP primers in the above loads.

Larry Gibson

birch
08-17-2014, 10:05 PM
Thanks a bunch guys. I will try as soon as I get my supplies and let everyone know how my ol' girl shoots. By the way, that's a pretty one larry.