PDA

View Full Version : 94 button mag project

rking22
08-16-2014, 06:02 PM
I aquired ,in a box yet, a mid 50s 94carbine. It was in pitiful shape and priced accordingly(50$ realm). On the up side internally it is very clean, good bore and chamber. All surface finish was gone and lightly pitted. I had it reblued and have reassembled it using a shortened mag tube to create a button mag carbine. I was after reducing the weight for my Little1, and it feels pretty good. I put a "key" between the barrel and tube to "help out" the band screw since the muzzle end band and pin are gone. Put a new reciever sight on it and it shoots well in prelim testing.
Now, I need a folllower spring and screw as well as a rear band screw, is Wisners the best/easiest/only place? Can anyone point me to other sources? I tried GPC for the rear band screw and they sent the wrong one, didn't have the spring either.
Also there is some side play in the bolt, I have 2 other win 94s and they are much tighter. Question is ,is this a common issue and does it matter? THe headspace is in spec and it shows very littly wear on the locking surfaces. I almost wonder if the prior owner tried to "slick it up"? At any rate it was missing some parts and had a bent mag tube, looked like a project waiting to happen :) And it did, now I need to finish it up. Oh he wood is well figured, and not damaged.

Tatume
08-16-2014, 06:30 PM
Sounds like a fun project. I've always wanted a button magazine M94 rifle, and have even considered building a button magazine Marlin M336.

How many rounds does your magazine now hold. I figure two is about double the number needed, so anything more is gravy.

TXGunNut
08-16-2014, 06:39 PM
Homestead firearms has a growing selection of parts, Brownells is another good source. Use the interactive feature on Brownells, the gunsmiths there have helped me a few times. This thread really needs a pic or two, especially after bragging on the wood. ;-)

pietro
08-16-2014, 08:46 PM

A Model 94 magazine spring, follower, etc, can be had from Numrich.

I've converted carbines to button mags several times, and have found that any spring for a longer magazine can be used - just insert it into the mounted mag tube (using an issue follower), letting the free length of the uncompressed spring hang out of the front of the tube, then cut the spring so that the free length = 1-1/2 times the length of the shortened magazine tube, whatever it may end up coming to.

For example, a 10" long magazine tube will work best with a spring that has a free (uncompressed) length of 15".

rking22
08-16-2014, 09:27 PM
Hi, I have loaded 2 into the mag just to see how it felt, might hold a 3rd , not sure.I tend to consider all rifles single shots with on board ammo storage so 3 is fine :) The spring I need is the lifter spring , sorry bout that, should proof read :)
Living where I do , my home I net stinks, my work I net does not like my pic server so... have to take lap top to bugrer-doodle for pic upload. Planning to get that done shortly. The wood is still in factory varnish, can't really figure out how the metal got as bad as it did with no harm to the wood?????
really debating wheather to refinish the wood or leave the very good factory finish intact. Issue is ,I like to see the figure better than the varnish allows.
I am planning to hunt with it this year so gotta get in gear!

Artful
08-16-2014, 09:44 PM
My experience is that guns like that are left in a gun rug of some kind where temperature changes cause condensation to form from contact with the rifle case. - looking forward to your pictures.

rking22
08-16-2014, 09:52 PM
any thoughts on the bolt side play? locking surfaces are not worn, headspace is good an lockup solid, just a wobbly bolt!

Artful
08-16-2014, 11:04 PM
I could make multiple guess attempts and be wrong multiple times - without seeing it in person I can't say but my hope is it shootable. The pressure on the action goes down the bolt to the locking lugs so unless it's really extreme play it should bear against the lugs just fine and shoot ok.

rking22
08-16-2014, 11:34 PM
Thanks Artful, that was my assesment also, just wondering if it was a common issue. I don't look at many 94s anymore, and never noticed it when I was shopping. This was not together when purchased so was caught unawares in a way.